Gardening thread | Page 26 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

Rhubarb currently going mad - a good feed and some coffee grounds added to the soil has done wonders for it. Might get a few white strawberries at this rate, too. Goji berry bushes (x2) growing well, but not ready to produce anything edible yet. Not much else growing!

Eating own lettuce, rocket and spinach. Mice had the strawberries and beetroot! Saw an owl down there the other evening, so hoping I don’t need a trap. Potatoes doing well but tomatoes well behind.

Courgettes, Leeks and Potatoes now ready for eating and Tomatoes starting to ripen.

Have built a patio using free slate slabs collected myself. Looks good but my back has suffered and it has seen little use. Hydrangeas look amazing, they must love the rain.

Have given up on the salad bed for this year, it's either been dessicated or awash and doesn't like either. Herbs in pots doing well, though! Once I found a way to keep the squirrels off...

We haven’t been able to do our patch much this year. The soft fruit has gone mad for being left! Sod’s Law! Same for us as now very wet and windy so the garden is generally taking a battering.

Courgettes, Leeks and Potatoes now ready for eating and Tomatoes starting to ripen.

Have built a patio using free slate slabs collected myself. Looks good but my back has suffered and it has seen little use. Hydrangeas look amazing, they must love the rain.

Indeed they do, we grow them in pots to retain their colour otherwise they turn bright pink!

Very little edible stuff to speak of this year, though the white strawberries are producing one or two - they're small but tasty, and sweeter than normal ones. Other than that, naff all growing except some chives!

Lots of borage flowering currently though, which the bumblebees and honey bees are loving, so that's good to see at least.

Started hedging. Still harvesting new potatoes, tomatoes and courgettes. Collecting fallen small apples and blackberries, some from garden and some not, for blackberry and apple crumble.
Sounds good, can't beat a good crumble. I've noticed in the local park there is an apple tree producing the goods right next to some blackberry brambles...very tempted to get in there. They've paired themselves up so beautifully!

Plums picked - good year for them. Figs starting to become ripe and apples looking good for next month.

Although we've had a small crop of plums, which Mrs S has transformed into jam, our plum tree has had it, so it's coming dowm unfortunately. Doing ok with tomatoes and beans, and some huge coutgettes - but credit is to Mrs S, not me, once i've dug it over she is the gardener

Although we've had a small crop of plums, which Mrs S has transformed into jam, our plum tree has had it, so it's coming dowm unfortunately. Doing ok with tomatoes and beans, and some huge coutgettes - but credit is to Mrs S, not me, once i've dug it over she is the gardener
That’s sad to hear - will you plant another? I have no idea how long they last. Apparently apple trees last 100 years but only produce apples for 50-80 of them. We have good weather for fruits as we are about 35 miles from the south coast but get a lot of rain.

That’s sad to hear - will you plant another? I have no idea how long they last. Apparently apple trees last 100 years but only produce apples for 50-80 of them. We have good weather for fruits as we are about 35 miles from the south coast but get a lot of rain.

I doubt we'll plant another. We've had some really good yields, but some years its just a battle with wasps. Then take into account the length of time a tree will take to mature, and at some stage we're still hoping to downsize to a bungalow, so probably just return the space to lawn

Last potatoes will be harvested this coming weekend. Still have courgettes and loads of tomatoes, leeks and rocket.

Planted a couple of Yew saplings, Climbing Hydrangea and cut back rest of hedges.

Now down to just the herbs and salads in pots, so basil, parsley, chives, rosemary and rocket available to enliven upcoming dinners.

Oh yes, and the frankly rampant mint and sage in the patio border! There may still be some oregano in there too, but it's keeping a low profile at the moment.