Gabby Agbonlahor thread | Page 129 | Vital Football

Gabby Agbonlahor thread

I remember the game, I was quite nervous, my dad was in the crowd but I just thought to myself I need to do something to stay around it because the players were coming back next week. (From Gabbys interview)

I thought this was interesting, I imagine Archer may have had similar feelings with Watkins and Davis injured, Wes on loan and the signing of Ings.

We always want to recognise our own - i.e. youth players - and we have had some that achieved exalted status such as Sid, Gary Shaw, Spink, Tony Daley, Mark Walters and a few others. There were some for whom we had high hopes but they failed to achieve such as Stefan and Luke Moore and Nathan Delfonseo. There a couple who achieved great things away from the club such as Cahill and Albrighton and we think what might have been. Gabby doesn't fit into any of these groups and it is sad. He was not a complete failure but never a great. He was a one club man and with some guidance and proper coaching he could have achieved more. Like many young players in the modern game, his money attracted hangers on and the potential for bad ways - he succumbed to this and it soured his last few years.
Before we criticise him too much about some of his antics, let's not forget someone else was lying in the street completely blotto and was on the back pages inhaling hippy crack from a balloon.
Gabby in the latter years did not do himself any favours but he was still a decent servant and should be remembered as such - after all the Holte belted out his chant on a regular basis.

Agree. Each to their own but it always surprises me that Gabby never gets more credit. He is after all our time leading premier league goal scorer so it's not as if he achieved nothing here. The way it's going with our strikers he will hold that mantle for a long time to come.

He is our leading premier league scorer mainly because we put up with him for so long. He had some very good moments but he really should have been shipped out with a better striker coming in to push us up the table.

In like 10 premier league seasons for us he played well consistently in like 4 of them.

He is our leading premier league scorer mainly because we put up with him for so long. He had some very good moments but he really should have been shipped out with a better striker coming in to push us up the table.

In like 10 premier league seasons for us he played well consistently in like 4 of them.

If our owner hadnt lost interest, I think Gabby would have been shipped out long before he was. Still love him for all the derby game goals though.

Yep he was finished before he signed that last 5-year contract, I said so at the time, it just took many people longer to see he had lost that pace and, to be honest that's all he had, good as admits it himself now.
He had so much potential and to think Ashley Young is older than him and still playing , says it all

Definitely one of those players that if he had time to think about what he was gonna do on the pitch he was fucked. More instinctive when it just came to him and he hit it.
He's still our top premier league scorer so does that say more about him or the dearth of consistent strikers we've had since? Though if the likes of Benteke or Juan Pablo had 10 seasons they'd of smashed it.

Definitely one of those players that if he had time to think about what he was gonna do on the pitch he was fucked. More instinctive when it just came to him and he hit it.
He's still our top premier league scorer so does that say more about him or the dearth of consistent strikers we've had since? Though if the likes of Benteke or Juan Pablo had 10 seasons they'd of smashed it.
JPA had 6 and a half seasons and he was crap for most of them, massively overrated player.

Benteke on the other hand was a different class to the likes of Gabby and JPA.

JPA had 6 and a half seasons and he was crap for most of them, massively overrated player.

Benteke on the other hand was a different class to the likes of Gabby and JPA.

Benteke has been the best of our post Yorke strikers. The amount of goals he scored in a poor side is amazing really. Stick the Villa version of Benteke into the MON side and he's a 25 goal man. Though I also think a prime Angel would have scored plenty in that side too.

Gabby and Carew were both great when they wanted to be but unfortunately that wasn't all the time.

Reckon Benteke is overrated. He had a brilliant first season for us, but after that was disappointing, although had a revival for his final games under Sherwood. Injuries played their part, but it wasn't just that. Another revival for Liverpool but it didn't last. A player who didn't maintain his early promise.

Benteke has been the best of our post Yorke strikers. The amount of goals he scored in a poor side is amazing really. Stick the Villa version of Benteke into the MON side and he's a 25 goal man. Though I also think a prime Angel would have scored plenty in that side too.

Gabby and Carew were both great when they wanted to be but unfortunately that wasn't all the time.

I think Benteke has got what he wanted out of football. He still gets the odd goal for Palace but the hunger is long gone.

I think Benteke has got what he wanted out of football. He still gets the odd goal for Palace but the hunger is long gone.

I think injuries took a massive toll on him. He had a really bad one with us in his second season that we rushed him back from before he was ready. Good first season with Palace but he's basically become an immobile target man.