Gab Zakuani retires | Vital Football

Gab Zakuani retires

Just announced his retirement from professional football. Great servant of many clubs not least our own.

All the best Gab.
Good player. Committed, hard as nails - no nonsense CB. Good leader.

And to think, we probably didn't even see the best of him either, given we got him as he was running down his career.

Was also a really nice bloke. When he got iniured, my son wrote him a get well soon card and he responded with a signed programme. Nothing massive but really nice gesture.

Last edited:
Good luck in retirement to Zak. I thought he was one of our best ever captains and one of the most under-rated defenders we`ve had in a long time. Quality player and I imagine him to be a quality bloke too. Was sorry to see him leave and wish him all the very best in whatever he does next. Cheers Zak.

I wasn't there, so can't directly comment. But didn't Steve Bruce play in midfield for us? Often gets bandied about as one of our best defenders, but I reckon it doesn't count if he didn't play there for us :p

Glad to be proven wrong - I've seen conflicting stories about his time with us.

Good luck Gabz

I wasn't there, so can't directly comment. But didn't Steve Bruce play in midfield for us? Often gets bandied about as one of our best defenders, but I reckon it doesn't count if he didn't play there for us :p

Glad to be proven wrong - I've seen conflicting stories about his time with us.

Good luck Gabz

Began as a midfielder and may have played there very early in his career with us but by the time of the epic three games against Everton which included two 0-0 draws, he was an established centre back marking and nullifying the likes of Graham Sharp and Andy Gray. Legend.

Began as a midfielder and may have played there very early in his career with us but by the time of the epic three games against Everton which included two 0-0 draws, he was an established centre back marking and nullifying the likes of Graham Sharp and Andy Gray. Legend.
Why he was not even ever in an England squad is totally beyond me.

I think with Steve Bruce it was Bill Collins who turned him into a centre half! Probably why Bruce had nearly a dozen trials as a midfield player!

I saw Bruce make his debut against Chatham in a friendly in midfield but definitely a CB for the majority of his time with us

I thought Dean White was pretty solid too, until that crunching tackle ruined his career.

Do you mean Charlie Young? He was a CB that had his leg broken and it ended his career I believe.

Dean White was a hard as nails midfielder, not a hard as nail defender. Best penalty taker I saw too (along with Dave Peach).

No it was definitely Dean White, probably had his position wrong. The game in question someone broke through from the middle beat a couple of players and I just remember him come steaming out, made a crunching tackle and got stretchered off and that was the last I saw him play.