Fuel Crisis/Energy (Previously Meter Readings) | Page 6 | Vital Football

Fuel Crisis/Energy (Previously Meter Readings)

There was talk today of petrol increasing by another 20p per litre over the coming weeks.
At £2L roughly half of that is tax. Then the other £1 that the forecourts and fuel companies make is then also taxed.
This is all stealth tax to pay for Covid19

theguardian.com
https://www.theguardian.com › jun
UK ramps up gas and oil exports to EU amid Russia's war in Ukraine
13 minutes ago — The UK has drastically increased the volume of natural gas being pumped to the EU amid Russia's.

Page down to business headline re the above.
To paraphrase we are acting as an international hub to import liquefied natural gas, then pump it on to Ireland ,Holland, Germany and others in the EU.
They have bigger storage facilities, compared to our 2% of annual requirements.
Shit hole country, that couldn't organise the proverbial piss up in a brewery.

Watch they don't come back kef.
SouthWest Water have just contacted to say they want my standing order increased to£78.50 per month.
This doesn't include the £50 per annum the government pay in recognition of the fact that we have to pay the EU clean water directive for the beaches. True cost approx £82 per month.
Most expensive water in the UK.
Bloody French owned.
Staggered by that. I have a meter and yes I am an old bloke living on my own but my SO is £18 a month.

The only way fuel prices are coming down is if the war in Ukraine ends. It doesn't look like that's going to happen soon so get used to £150 a fill up.

Or if the false market was re-nationalised and provided for the good of the people, as opposed to for the good of the shareholders. Yes, there are challenges - and then some - from the war, but lets not forget the profiteering at our expense here.

And no, I'm not talking about re-nationalising and turning into an inefficient beast again.

Or if the false market was re-nationalised and provided for the good of the people, as opposed to for the good of the shareholders. Yes, there are challenges - and then some - from the war, but lets not forget the profiteering at our expense here.

And no, I'm not talking about re-nationalising and turning into an inefficient beast again.

What are you talking about exactly?

What are you talking about exactly?

The country sold the major assets, cheaply, and lined the pockets of shareholders, what the old nationalised industries needed back then was re-inventing, to bring the profit into the country, not creating false markets (water companies, gas, electric etc... it is the same product, it is not a proper independent market - you switch gas supplier, you get the same product from another) to line the pockets of shareholders.

It can't have been beyond the whit of intelligent people (therein lies our problem) to have got these industries working for the greater good of the population, to create the profits they make now, BUT to then fund other parts of the country, like the NHS, and to benefit the citizens.

What gets me is that we have our own oil. But instead of agreeing with BP to drill for it and sell it to us at a reasonable profit it has to be sold for the expensive global current price. Why?

I'm talking new deals not current ones.
People keep saying yes we can drill for more oil but it won't bring the price down.
Why not?

People keep saying yes we can drill for more oil but it won't bring the price down.
Not an option because Carrie has got Boris to sign up to net zero and even at the mention of what you suggest there was a huge outcry from the green lobby.

The country sold the major assets, cheaply, and lined the pockets of shareholders, what the old nationalised industries needed back then was re-inventing, to bring the profit into the country, not creating false markets (water companies, gas, electric etc... it is the same product, it is not a proper independent market - you switch gas supplier, you get the same product from another) to line the pockets of shareholders.

It can't have been beyond the whit of intelligent people (therein lies our problem) to have got these industries working for the greater good of the population, to create the profits they make now, BUT to then fund other parts of the country, like the NHS, and to benefit the citizens.

I fully agree. The only politician I have ever heard talk about renationalising industries was Corbyn. That seemed to mark him out as a loonie lefty but it makes far more economic sense.

What gets me is that we have our own oil. But instead of agreeing with BP to drill for it and sell it to us at a reasonable profit it has to be sold for the expensive global current price. Why?

Why not?

Malaysia has oil too. We pay £0.38 per litre here and people moan about it being expensive.

Why not?

To actually answer your question, Britain isn't run in the interests of the people. It's run in the interests of a very small group of old Etonians who divide up the spoils among themselves. It always has been and I'd imagine it will be for a very long time.

"The owners of some UK energy suppliers that collapsed within the past year are set to walk away with payouts reaching tens of millions of pounds at the same time every household in the country is footing the bill for those failures.
The People’s Energy Company Ltd. came into being with crowdfunded cash and a pledge to tackle fuel poverty in Britain. Four years later, it failed. Even so, founders David Pike and Karin Sode may receive about £50 million once company creditors are satisfied. In addition, they won’t be on the hook for the £283 million cost of shifting their customers to Centrica Plc’s British Gas."
Good to see the energy market is working so we'll .

"The owners of some UK energy suppliers that collapsed within the past year are set to walk away with payouts reaching tens of millions of pounds at the same time every household in the country is footing the bill for those failures.
The People’s Energy Company Ltd. came into being with crowdfunded cash and a pledge to tackle fuel poverty in Britain. Four years later, it failed. Even so, founders David Pike and Karin Sode may receive about £50 million once company creditors are satisfied. In addition, they won’t be on the hook for the £283 million cost of shifting their customers to Centrica Plc’s British Gas."
Good to see the energy market is working so we'll .

What a mess we created. And it's not like some people didn't see it coming.

There are just some things too essential to be left to profiteering.