From Priestfield to Priest | Vital Football

From Priestfield to Priest

chris who

Vital Champions League
A greater Glory from pitch to pulpit by Gavin Peacock a Christian focus publication.
I have just been given this book.
Forward by John Motson "I'm full of admiration for Gavin and the way he lives out his faith".
David Moyes" I played against Gavin he was a outstanding professional and more importantly a man of very good character".
Robbie Fowler "The story of a not so ordinary man who gave it up for more.A fascinating read from start to finish.
Rob Lee "One of the most interesting and fascinating autobiographies I have read in a long time".
Les Ferdinand "Such a thought provoking read"
Alan Curbishley "This story is a one off".
Gerry Francis "This book is about life itself: including religion,beliefs and the sacrifices you have to make to have the life you want".
Looking forward to the read.

A greater Glory from pitch to pulpit by Gavin Peacock a Christian focus publication.
I have just been given this book.
Forward by John Motson "I'm full of admiration for Gavin and the way he lives out his faith".
David Moyes" I played against Gavin he was a outstanding professional and more importantly a man of very good character".
Robbie Fowler "The story of a not so ordinary man who gave it up for more.A fascinating read from start to finish.
Rob Lee "One of the most interesting and fascinating autobiographies I have read in a long time".
Les Ferdinand "Such a thought provoking read"
Alan Curbishley "This story is a one off".
Gerry Francis "This book is about life itself: including religion,beliefs and the sacrifices you have to make to have the life you want".
Looking forward to the read.

I was gonna ask you if it's a new publication but I thought perhaps I shouldn't be so lazy and had a look myself! And yes, it is, May 2021.

It sounds like it'll be good, Chris. Let us know what you think when you've read it.

More about it here:
http://www.gavinpeacock.net/a-greater-glory

I was gonna ask you if it's a new publication but I thought perhaps I shouldn't be so lazy and had a look myself! And yes, it is, May 2021.

It sounds like it'll be good, Chris. Let us know what you think when you've read it.

More about it here:
http://www.gavinpeacock.net/a-greater-glory
For anyone who doesn't know Gavin moved to Canada and is a pastor.There were very very few Christians in football at the time Gavin played he made in public in the 1980s while still at QPR at a time when it was very rare indeed. Now there are in fact many Christian players and I know we have had quite a few at Gillingham. But few are as public as Gavin that must have taken guts and a lot of faith.In many ways Keith is a incredible person. But what Gavin achieved was just as significant a bit like Viv Anderson being the first black player in a England shirt.There would be incredibly difficult moments.i have only just started to read the book that I received today .

For all you quiz fans.

Which School record did Keith Peacock hold long after he left?
Keith was a fantastic all round sportsman. He was captain of his school football and cricket team and a outstanding athlete.

A most goals
B Youngest to play football for the school.
C most runs
D most wickets
E fastest 100 yards
F fastest mile
G Long jump record holder
H Pole Vault record holder.

Now there are in fact many Christian players and I know we have had quite a few at Gillingham. But few are as public as Gavin that must have taken guts and a lot of faith.

Guts ?
What's happening to Christians in the UK ? Are they being persecuted ? Maybe in many other places around the world , I would accept that you'd do well to keep it to yourself.
But in the UK or Canada?

Don’t think he said persecuted -more just difficult. I think there is a difference between being thought a bit naff because of your beliefs and being racially abused in a public setting on a regular basis.

I comes over clearly that the Peacock family is a very strong family unit with Keith a very important part of it .Gavin was not wrapped in cotton wool though .There is a fair bit about family and his childhood in the book also his youth career bits of coaching techniques that he picked up from his father and players like Clive Allen and of course managers he played for .I am not a fast reader so some way to go .But it isn't a catalogue of matches like a lot of football autobiographies it goes deeper than that .Nor it seems is it a sermon so non Christians I don't think would be in anyway intimated by Gavin's book .
Gavin had a lot of time for his school Bexley grammar and teachers who were at the time very much into competition. Not like some modern schools and he is very strongly against the modern trends away from kids competing on the sports field. He also feels that the lack of male guidance is responsible for a lot of the problems in youth today .There are lots of examples of how Keith did things it is a big insight into "Sir Keith" himself I would definitely recommend the book for parents and those interested in the Peacock way which I feel almost all of us can learn something.

Last edited:
On Clive Allen he had a technique of line up balls in a arch from the corner of the six yard box to the D in the edge of the area .He would put a cone in the goal and try to squeeze the ball between the cone and the post .I have never seen it used at Gills seems a good idea to me .When shooting into a empty net it gives you the target as small as you are able so seems a great idea for kids especially.
"Sir Keith" had a method of getting Gavin to dribble between bricks that were stood on end which he had to avoid knocking down.

For all you quiz fans.

Which School record did Keith Peacock hold long after he left?
Keith was a fantastic all round sportsman. He was captain of his school football and cricket team and a outstanding athlete.

A most goals
B Youngest to play football for the school.
C most runs
D most wickets
E fastest 100 yards
F fastest mile
G Long jump record holder
H Pole Vault record holder.

Got no idea but will guess that it was 'D', most wickets.

We had a lad at school who was th best at all sports. Pretty sure he was on Charlton's books and played cricket for Kent (juniors). He was a nice guy, good looking and (not surprisingly) popular with the girls.

But he was a bit straight edge (not that there's anything wrong with that). I remember him reluctantly joining us to smoke a spliff one time; just like Bill Clinton, he had a puff but didn't inhale.

I heard years later that he'd become a copper, which seemed a shame cos I'm sure he was good enough to have pursued a career in football or cricket. The only other lad I knew who was good enough to have done so - and he was really, really good - was on Arsenal's books but he got into drinking and drugging and blew his chance with the Gunners.

Gavin Peacock was some player. Not just for us but for Newcastle and Chelsea too.

I remember the protests the followed his father's ridiculous sacking. And I also remember our incompetent board of directors banning Sir Keef from coming to the ground to watch Gavin play in the immediate aftermath of the absurd sacking.

Then we had the relegation season and Gavin was by far our best player. That game at Craven Cottage, one of our few victories that season, Gavin won it pretty much on his own. One of our most unsung heroes, imho.

Got no idea but will guess that it was 'D', most wickets.

We had a lad at school who was th best at all sports. Pretty sure he was on Charlton's books and played cricket for Kent (juniors). He was a nice guy, good looking and (not surprisingly) popular with the girls.

But he was a bit straight edge (not that there's anything wrong with that). I remember him reluctantly joining us to smoke a spliff one time; just like Bill Clinton, he had a puff but didn't inhale.

I heard years later that he'd become a copper, which seemed a shame cos I'm sure he was good enough to have pursued a career in football or cricket. The only other lad I knew who was good enough to have done so - and he was really, really good - was on Arsenal's books but he got into drinking and drugging and blew his chance with the Gunners.
Surprising as it might sound Keith Peacock held his school record for Pole Vault for many years.

Surprising as it might sound Keith Peacock held his school record for Pole Vault for many years.

Wow! Which schools even do the pole vault?!

I remember telling my PE teacher that I wanted to do the pole vault and be like Sergey Bubka and I was told to stop being stupid!!!

Wow! Which schools even do the pole vault?!

I remember telling my PE teacher that I wanted to do the pole vault and be like Sergey Bubka and I was told to stop being stupid!!!
Keith and his wife Lesley attended Erith Grammar school. Not sure if they still do the pole vault I would guess a few schools must do.