"Free" MOT at Halfords Autocentres. | Vital Football

"Free" MOT at Halfords Autocentres.

CarerKate

Vital Reserves Team
This may be of interest to any of you paupers like me that have an old banger that needs an MOT. All you have to do is buy something form Halfords - even just a £1 air freshener, either on line or in store by 19 April. Make sure you get your receipt by email. Then go onto their website and book your MOT - you must do this by 21 May. The MOT slots are available and valid up to November! No limit on how many cars you can book so make a second purchase if you have a second car.
Hopefully you will save a few bob. Good luck.

Always wary of a halfords MOT - I took my Saxo about ten years ago to get one done as I was living away from Medway, and they said it needed x and y doing, pretty serious jobs, so paid for it.

When I spoke to the normal guy (family friend) we took it too , who'd done all the previous services and MOTs, he said that those were pretty easy jobs that they can charge a lot of money for, so expects that's just what they did, as there weren't any signs of the issues about a year ago...

Have always taken my cars to independent guys since.

Always wary of a halfords MOT - I took my Saxo about ten years ago to get one done as I was living away from Medway, and they said it needed x and y doing, pretty serious jobs, so paid for it.

When I spoke to the normal guy (family friend) we took it too , who'd done all the previous services and MOTs, he said that those were pretty easy jobs that they can charge a lot of money for, so expects that's just what they did, as there weren't any signs of the issues about a year ago...

Have always taken my cars to independent guys since.
Agree MM. I was suspicious of this as soon as I saw it. They can make out loads needs doing to it and more than make up the money they've "lost" on the "free" MOT.

An option, I suppose, if one has no idea of a decent smallish local garage.

I'm lucky to have a superb small family firm garage near me in Orpington who have kept my old wrecks on the road at minimal cost for the last 20 years (The Old Forge - if anyone near me wants to know).

Best guidance for MOT (not that I do this myself?) is to go somewhere that isn't a garage (e.g college, bus depot, council test centre etc) as they have no incentive to "sell" repairs. For a newish car though, might as well use Halfords offer if saving £45 is that big a deal - I imagine they are looking to build up long term Customer base, rather than short term profits