Freddie Shepherd | Vital Football

Freddie Shepherd

RIP. Maybe he will leave a few grand for all of you behind a bar somewhere with a stipulation that you must sort out all your grieviences and on line quibbles face to face Queensbury rules in the pub car park.

A significant part of the hierarchy that produced the best football seen at Newcastle ever.
He had his faults like everyone does But what great days the Keegan era was and the current mob are not fit to clean their boots.

Some context.

Under Shepherd and co, our Net transfer spend in the premier league was around £135m. That was before the big prize money, big TV and sponsorship deals and a stadium capacity for the majority capped at 36,000.

Under Ashley it is around £35m, the prize money has rocketed, TV and sponsorship is off the scale with a 52,000 capacity but we're 'skint.

The wage bill is lower now as well with our artificial turnover figure deflecting from it's actual standing.

What a bizarre post on a thread about the death of someone, CM, of a club other than your own.

What goes through your mind to come out with such a comment??

While Toon fans comment about the good times, and the bad of his time at the helm; you a Wet Spam fan go on about money and violence.

Sum's up southerners in many ways. No perspective.

CuckFan - 26/9/2017 16:18

What a bizarre post on a thread about the death of someone, CM, of a club other than your own.

What goes through your mind to come out with such a comment??

While Toon fans comment about the good times, and the bad of his time at the helm; you a Wet Spam fan go on about money and violence.

Sum's up southerners in many ways. No perspective.

Point I was trying to make was that a good piss up paid for in someone's legacy to sort out all the differences and bad feelings on this forum over a few beers and have an old fashioned wake for the man. Not trying to advocate violence whatsoever. Bury the hatchet eh.

Best football I have ever seen live played under him, and Keegan.

Probably lost a load of respect when he had to sack SBR, but was not afraid to make some big decisions, and drop some big howlers as well.

Have 2 memories of him :-

1. In Monaco for the CL game, walked into a restaurant / bar for a beer, and he was in with club officials. Told the bar staff not to serve us, we were bad news, had never met the bloke before. About to walk out and 2 beers appeared courtesy of the club.

2. Playing in a Fawdington BMW day at City of Newcastle Golf Club, he was in group in front of us. Freddie was desperate at golf, for all he tried. Allowed him to get on green, 330 yards away, down wind, hit a beauty, that bounced once on the green, hit the clubhouse window, and came back into play behind green in a patch of rough. Come presentation longest drive was on 18, and some drip got awarded the longest drive. Stood up in front of 200 people, pointed me out, and said, "he hit longest drive", not him, to which compere, said, it did not end up on the fairway. Freddie, quick as a flash, asked what the prize was, "a wedge and a dozen balls", come with me he said, went into pro-shop, and he said "you got £300" to spend, Fuck them, the tight bastards he said, , chose something, a driver I think, and he did his own presentation.

None of that would happen now................

His decisions were often misplaced and no doubt he looked after number one, but he wanted more than survival and saw what could have been.

I shall always remember him for his quote on Laurent Robert:
"You should only say good things when somebody leaves. Robert has gone. Good".

Mcnamee67 - 26/9/2017 21:19

I'm not going to change my opinion because he has passed away. I was not his biggest fan.
I'll remember his quote "Geordie women are dogs".
Still better than the present incumbent tho,just.
Bit like asking how you felt when thatcher departed.

Can't say that I liked Shepherd at the time. He did some stupid things - Getting caught out by The News of the Screws along with Little Hall was a classic.

But... 10 years is a long time to revise your opinion of his relationship with Newcastle United. I remember feeling a huge relief immediately after his departure. Didn't take long for that to evaporate in a decade of lies and frustration.

Have him back? Anybody?

I said at the time, Harry, when the Ashley take-over was in progress = 'be careful what you wish for'.

Not one on here listened. Not one.