Fraser Forster - Player Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Fraser Forster - Player Thread

Think it has already been said, he is a good signing, ticks all the boxes for a back up! plus it gives us a little bit more time to find a successor for Lloris, so for me good planning.

This may seem to some like a box ticking exercise, but by my reckoning he is the best back up for Lloris that we have had since Friedel retired 8 years ago. It is kicking the ca down the road in terms of a succession plan to Lloris but it is still a good signing for the next 2 years until Lloris' contract is up.

Nick Pope may be a free agent next summer if he stays with Burnley this season...

It's the obvious assumption to make. I'm still left wondering why Forster never got a single game at Newcastle with them always choosing to loan him out. He then ended up 3rd choice at Saints behind McCarthy and Gunn after his successful spell at Celtic. He waited for Gunn to leave and McCarthy to hit poor form before getting the shirt back.

Is he as safe a backup keeper as we think?

It's the obvious assumption to make. I'm still left wondering why Forster never got a single game at Newcastle with them always choosing to loan him out. He then ended up 3rd choice at Saints behind McCarthy and Gunn after his successful spell at Celtic. He waited for Gunn to leave and McCarthy to hit poor form before getting the shirt back.

Haha muttley now you got me thinking!

At 6'7" he is certainly going to help out our CB's when dealing with crosses when he does play. :giggle:

I have never been convinced Mutts. Yes he is big and yes his latest success against the Gooners gives hope but all goalkeepers have blinders now and again especially when under the cosh. I hope I’m wrong but for me he has never been convincing. Hopefully he is just a stop gap while we get our real targets lined up for 2023.

I have never been convinced Mutts. Yes he is big and yes his latest success against the Gooners gives hope but all goalkeepers have blinders now and again especially when under the cosh. I hope I’m wrong but for me he has never been convincing. Hopefully he is just a stop gap while we get our real targets lined up for 2023.

Yep, how do 6'7" GK's in their mid thirties get down to those bottom corners? We're already seeing Lloris struggle a little with them. I also don't think we'll be that impressed with his kicking when we see him in our colours.

I'm assuming it's Carabao and early rounds of the FA Cup only for Fraser.

I worry about Hugo getting injured.

Didn't he have a good game against us at St Mary's last season? Maybe the shooting low into the bottom corners doctrine was missed by our players before the match.

I seem to recall he stopped one of them as well..

Good keeper, experienced, rarely flaps. A very good signing.

It allows us to keep a pathway open for Brandon Austin and perhaps, less likely, Alfie Whiteman - I think it's a straight fight between these two to be the no.3 keeper, although Brandon looks head and shoulders above whiteman, it could even be Alfie is released this season.

Interview with Brandon after he recently signed for a further two years. (You'll have to watch it on youtube. Smart young man and very well managed and guided. Could yet be an exceptional keeper in a couple of years time.

I seem to recall he stopped one of them as well..

Good keeper, experienced, rarely flaps. A very good signing.

It allows us to keep a pathway open for Brandon Austin and perhaps, less likely, Alfie Whiteman - I think it's a straight fight between these two to be the no.3 keeper, although Brandon looks head and shoulders above whiteman, it could even be Alfie is released this season.

I haven't seen them play to chew the fat with you on the two young keepers, so I'll take what you have to say.

Yep, how do 6'7" GK's in their mid thirties get down to those bottom corners? We're already seeing Lloris struggle a little with them. I also don't think we'll be that impressed with his kicking when we see him in our colours.

I'm assuming it's Carabao and early rounds of the FA Cup only for Fraser.

I worry about Hugo getting injured.

Him getting down low on them low corner shots were a weakness of his 6 years ago.

They will have gotten worse with age.

He won't play much so I'm not too bothered at the moment. Unless Hugo gets injured of course. 😬