Fraser Forster - Player Thread | Vital Football

Fraser Forster - Player Thread

Welcome.
Backup keepers are always the least interesting signings, yet somehow we're churning through them faster than any other position lol. Imagine if our backup striker turnover was as regular, or even existent.

At least FF is HG. As long as Lloris can maintain solid form and stay injury free and we're actively looking for a long term replacement to come in for him by beginning of next season then this is a harmless backup that hopefully will only play low priority cup ties.

I'm also curious to know whether he is going to be our 2nd or 3rd choice keeper this coming season. It would never surprise me if we sign another.

A solid professional, with good experience and a tick on the homegrown list. Most definitely 2nd choice this season and buys the club a bit of time to figure out the true successor to our captain and long-time number 1.

A solid professional, with good experience and a tick on the homegrown list. Most definitely 2nd choice this season and buys the club a bit of time to figure out the true successor to our captain and long-time number 1.

I agree solid #2...and we needed help on the homegrown front...and this easily help that. This was a logical sensible decision.

6 ft 7 . But very agile apparently.
His kicking has improved over the years it has been said.
Makes himself even bigger one on one which is intimidating.
His coach once said he can bend his body to reach saves.

The question is, why come to us to not play ? He might offer things Hugo can't especially in size and distribution.
With Forsters attributes he should be playing, not warming the bench. I question his motives....it can't be money surely?

6 ft 7 . But very agile apparently.
His kicking has improved over the years it has been said.
Makes himself even bigger one on one which is intimidating.
His coach once said he can bend his body to reach saves.

The question is, why come to us to not play ? He might offer things Hugo can't especially in size and distribution.
With Forsters attributes he should be playing, not warming the bench. I question his motives....it can't be money surely?
Nick....it can't be money surely? sarcasm or what mate lol!

An easy move for him to make. He gets to experience a few Champions League and cup games in the best stadium. A great couple of years to bookend his career.

Most wouldn't feel confident if Hart or Gollini had to take over from an injured Lloris for a couple of months, but with FF; I feel he maybe he would be able to fill the void better than those two.

A little rotation might also be possible now in that position to give Lloris a break before big games, whereas before it just wasn't possible without a huge drop off in solidity at the back. Gollini and Hart were both pretty useless when called upon.

This may seem to some like a box ticking exercise, but by my reckoning he is the best back up for Lloris that we have had since Friedel retired 8 years ago. It is kicking the can down the road in terms of a succession plan to Lloris but it is still a good signing for the next 2 years until Lloris' contract is up.

Nick Pope may be a free agent next summer if he stays with Burnley this season...

Last edited: