Frank Lampard’s Derby County | Page 2 | Vital Football

Frank Lampard’s Derby County

He must have something on him that's for certain, blatant bias towards derby.
Thought the substitutions were good from Cook except I would have taken Windass off and left Vaughan on to do the chasing down that he is generally good at. It certainly stopped the rot as we were looking certain for a heavy defeat until the subs were made and tactics/formation changed

I stayed and clapped them off after that second half. Everyone to a man was outstanding and couldn’t give anymore to the cause.

Kal Naismith is a utter **** who shouldn’t pull on a blue and white shirt again if there was any justice. If I was one of those players who just gave everything I had for no points, I’d have leathered him one in that dressing room. Three priceless points he’s singlehandedly pissed us down the drain, and that’s not including his mistakes in other games. He’s let the entire club down.

But hey I’m sure our resident poster from the land of the dog botherers will find a way to defend him!

Wondered how long it would be before the Naismith haters would start with their bile.
You are way out of order with that one, talk about OTT reaction.!!
He is a player playing out of position who got caught out, tell me any one of our players who haven't, no way was it a red card especially in the 15th minute. Booking yes, red card no. Wilson conned the referee and their players got him sent off, weak, biased referee..

Naismith was a red to be fair. No need for Wilson to fall over true, but as soon as you put your hand on someones shoulder and pull them back it's a foul and he's last man. Wilson clearly thought a red and a free kick was better than staying on his feet and almost certainly scoring and he was sadly right.

Wondered how long it would be before the Naismith haters would start with their bile.
You are way out of order with that one, talk about OTT reaction.!!
He is a player playing out of position who got caught out, tell me any one of our players who haven't, no way was it a red card especially in the 15th minute. Booking yes, red card no. Wilson conned the referee and their players got him sent off, weak, biased referee..
Well he shouldn't be playing there then!!

Utterly ridiculous challenge that correctly resulted in a red card. What was this shit for brains thinking hauling someone back through on goal after 15 minutes? Ten left,one up I can understand taking one for the team, but with 75 to go?

Fair play to Cook he made two subs after half an hour and we looked reasonably solid. Fantastic effort from ten men second half, no complaints from me about how they approached that. Referee was as bad as Naismith, as clear a dive you could wish to adjudicate on that should have seen him see a second yellow and then red. Lampard knew as he hooked him straight after.

Byrne looked far more adept at left back than that half wit he replaced so I don't expect to see Naismith in a latics shirt again.

If you could sum Naismith up in an emoji it would be the shrugged shoulders one....Don't seem to have it on here. He's alright. Done a decent job recently, playing out of position and even started decently enough today. But he's slow and weak - 8 stone pee wet, a strong breeze an' all that. Any winger worth their salt has the beating of him and if he's unfortunate enough to be the last man then what happened today was inevitable. He reminds me of Gary Teale without the pace, and you would fancy him in a defensive 50/50.
Thought the second half was very respectable from us and we were unlucky not to take anything. The performance and tactics were spot on, but can't help feel it was the quality in the personel. Cook was right to change when he did (we looked like we were heading for a demolition job), but not too sure Connelly and Gibson left us with much room to go if the tide swung as it did in the second half

no way was it a red card especially in the 15th minute. Booking yes, red card no...

Are you deluded, or is there no end to your happy clapping?

Most blatant red you could wish to see, regardless of the minute. Make no attempt to win the ball and haul someone down as they break into the centre of the box it's a straight red. The only pity is it's a one match ban rather that three.

I wonder what our resident referee has to say about the red card. For me it was a red, but given that he didn't have the ball at his feet, could you say it was a clear goal scoring opportunity? How many red cards have been shown when it has happened to our forwards and how many times have we asked the question why was it not a red.

That's my point, it wasn't a direct goal scoring opportunity as he was at least 20yds from goal with 3 other defenders about.
Similar things have happened to our players with a free kick and a yellow given, I have not seen one red in recent times Therefore if that rule applies then it should apply to everyone, end of.

Very committed performance but we carried little threat. Since Massey and Jacobs got injured we’ve been like that. Most of our starting 11 are more defensive minded. Plus it seems as though our centre mids are asked to play really deep even though I think Evans and Morsy look better when they go forwards. Hopefully once we get our players back from injury we’ll look more like we’d did at the start of the season. It’s hard to criticise them after today but apart from the Vaughan chance we didn’t look like scoring.

I fancied us to get a result today as Derby are dodgy at playing it out from the back and i thought we'd get joy with our high press. We started doing just that and with a bit of luck could've had a goal or two in the first 10 mins.

But the sending off changed the game and made it so much difficult to press so high a man down. Bad mistake from Naismith to take the risk to pull Wilson back, you understand he's not a natural defender and he panicked at the prospect of Wilson going through on goal and took the split second decision to take the risk but it was a really bad decision. He wouldve been much better letting Wilson go and chasing back as it wasnt a certain goal against and even if it was we had a full team and the majority of the game to try and equalise. All he did was guarantee his team mates would have a mountain to climb going down to 10 men for 75 mins. I think Byrne in midfield is pointless he's a good player but he's simply a full back so im hoping Naismiths absence will force us to move him to full back and finally get McMannaman in on the right.

After the initial 20 mins when we were all at sea and conceeded we rallied and were the better team for the rest of the game. Considering Derby had multiple individual players worth more than our whole squad combined i thought Derby were poor and if we had 11 on i think we'd have done them.

But considering we had a biased ref, no luck as every bounce of the ball went for them and playing so much of the game with 10 i thought we equipped ourselves superbly well under the circumstances - especially in the second half. Overall i'd say we were the better team despite everything being against us.

In a few recent games we've been so negative and not done ourselves justice - it's been horrible to watch. But it's not the loses that bothered me on our bad run but the performances and approach - if we lose i just want to leave the game knowing we went for it and went down swinging. And our lads certainly did just that today - sure there were faults but overall they were brave, fought hard, showed a lot of heart and deserved a point at least. You never want to lose but if you do there is a right way to lose a game and today was just that.

Lampard dancing in front of the Darby fans as if theyd won the league at the end was so embarrassing. One of the biggest budget teams lucky to scrape a 1-0 win against one of the lowest budget sides who only had 10 men all game in early December is hardly one you'd make a big deal out of. It reminded me of Peterborough doing their lap of honour after beating us at their place last year. No problem with the manager being pleased with the result or going to the fans for a clap and a fist pump but today wasnt a performance you'd expect to prompt a personal lap of honour for a coach is it? I'm glad Cook doesn't show us up like that.

The last few weeks its felt like we are starting to get back to the way we were playing at the start of the season - Evans and Morsy water carrying, full backs getting up all the time, more pass and move instead of long all the time, etc. It's not the early season form but it feels like the method is returning after we seemed to lose our way badly and turn into a poor long ball team. Still too much long ball but it's nowhere near as bad as it got.

But ther two issues that are starting to concern me . The first being throw ins, we arent tight enough at defending them and give the opposition more space and time than we should tocomfortably play out. While the opposition is touch tight on us and we dont have enough players showing for it. It's a minor thing but it's making life a lot tougher than it needs to be. The second thing is our midfield is always narrow as its the way we always set up but we are far too slow for our left or right sided mids to get wide to close down the space in front of the full backs when we defend. The opposition often get so much time and space when their full backs get forward and the cross for their goal came from that area today. In L1 this wasn't an issue as it encountered the full backs to cross from deep and with Burn and Dunkly so dominant in the air and full backs not generally posessing that much quality delivery it was low risk. But at this level against much stronger crosses and smarter strikers it's an area that has caught us out that we need to address.

We are on a poor run with only 1 win in the last 8 but at least the last 4 games we've been the better side and deserved more rather than some of the previous games where we looked so poor and deserved nothing but a loss. We've dropped too many points in winnable games but at least we seem to be doing more of the good things that we abandoned for a spell. If we keep doing them and are positive in our approach hopefully we can get a break and get back to getting some results. 2 winnable games in a row now - can't afford to drop more points after dropping so many reccently need 6 points before heading into a very tough festive run.

Last edited:
You'll be able to follow on wishfm - truelatic4eva will advise the frequency.

Thanks Sid, I usually watch games via RamsTV and, at the time of the game, I was at the Mother-in Law's 81st birthday. Televised games? There are other ways to get the video. This in only the 2nd game I haven't seen live, either at the stadium or via RamsTV, this season. I will be watching the full 90 minutes later today.

Going on what I heave heard and read, we could, maybe should, have been 3 up by half time. 2nd half, the Latics were the better side. A worrying trend of late when the opposition go down to 10 men.
Not seen this one yet so I can only go on what history tells me. We had that one glorious "10 men" game at the City Ground (our keeper was sent off in the first minute and they scored the penalty to go 1 up but we won 2-1) but, since then, we haven't dealt well with an opponent being down to 10 men.

Teams down to 10 men will tend to go 1-4-4-1. Two banks of 4 always stump us for some reason. Against that system you don't need a back 4. I think we should change the system once facing 10 men. Go 1-3-4-3 or 1-3-5-2. Put more men in MF and equal/beat their numbers in that area and you can control things that bit better.

I, obviously, don't know which path to goal was the preferred one in the 2nd half but I suspect it was the crowded one through the middle when down the outside is the way to go against 2 banks of 4.......

All simple, all logical yet teams don't seem to do it and I wonder why.

Temporarily up to 3rd but back to 4th after the Blades win in the late kick off. Thankfully going into the big East Midlands derby against the Tree Huggers above them in the table.

Good luck in the rest of the season............. except at Pride Park later in the season of course.

Thanks Sid, I usually watch games via RamsTV and, at the time of the game, I was at the Mother-in Law's 81st birthday. Televised games? There are other ways to get the video. This in only the 2nd game I haven't seen live, either at the stadium or via RamsTV, this season. I will be watching the full 90 minutes later today.

Going on what I heave heard and read, we could, maybe should, have been 3 up by half time. 2nd half, the Latics were the better side. A worrying trend of late when the opposition go down to 10 men.
Not seen this one yet so I can only go on what history tells me. We had that one glorious "10 men" game at the City Ground (our keeper was sent off in the first minute and they scored the penalty to go 1 up but we won 2-1) but, since then, we haven't dealt well with an opponent being down to 10 men.

Teams down to 10 men will tend to go 1-4-4-1. Two banks of 4 always stump us for some reason. Against that system you don't need a back 4. I think we should change the system once facing 10 men. Go 1-3-4-3 or 1-3-5-2. Put more men in MF and equal/beat their numbers in that area and you can control things that bit better.

I, obviously, don't know which path to goal was the preferred one in the 2nd half but I suspect it was the crowded one through the middle when down the outside is the way to go against 2 banks of 4.......

All simple, all logical yet teams don't seem to do it and I wonder why.

Temporarily up to 3rd but back to 4th after the Blades win in the late kick off. Thankfully going into the big East Midlands derby against the Tree Huggers above them in the table.

Good luck in the rest of the season............. except at Pride Park later in the season of course.

Must admit mate I thought that would be the way we would go with the two banks of four and defend like crazy, however our manager had different ideas. We went to three at the back, put on Gibson to shield and pushed our normal two defensive mids forward to stop your guys playing through us. We basically closed off the supply by stopping Huddlestone. So we basically played a 1-3-1-2-2-1. keeper, back three, sweeper, defensive midfield, attacking midfield, forward and it worked a treat. We were much the better side for the second half and had your defence scrambling to keep us out.

It was a hard fought game and although I think the consensus is that it was a red card, it was a soft one, and we have had a couple of similar instances this season when our player has been brought down and a yellow shown. There were a couple of flash points during the game and the referee saw fit to bottle it. The main one being the second yellow that should have been shown to your winger for diving, the referee says he slipped, have a look yourself and make your own mind up, but to me he clearly makes a claim for a penalty, in which case he should have gone.

All in all it was a good hard fought game and I look forward to the return.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.