Frank and advice from some unlikely sources | Vital Football

Frank and advice from some unlikely sources

Dear Frank,

1. Ditch zonal defending in and around our own penalty area. I mean, I realise it works perfectly as not a single zone has scored against us in decades. However, opposition players left in acres of space in the box do.....

2. Press and harry the oppo into errors. I realise this would mean having to ditch the back off and defend deep tactic that has worked so well in recent seasons......

3. Have all players do an extra half hour daily after training, working on their weaker foot. It will benefit both player and club greatly once they are confident enough to use their "wrong" foot in match situations. Take the LB/LWB position. Whoever plays there gets the ball on the halfway line, invariable gets put under pressure and turns 90 degrees so they are facing infield. This gives them the option of using their stronger foot and passing back to a central defender or to take the bull by the horns and put the ball into the attacking third by passing with their weaker right foot. Acres of space there which no Derby player ever runs in to anymore as they know the ball will go backwards every damned time just because Fozzy/ Olly have no confidence in that right foot. And that despite Olly having scored that great goal in the 1-0 win a couple of seasons back.....

Latest Rams News