Four In a Bed | Vital Football

Four In a Bed

We was a caretaker manager for a while-after Willie Bell left and prior to Colin Murphys appointment.

Been a fair few former ‘greats’ and ‘semi-greats’ who have bombed at the Bank. Bob Latchford being one of the main ones.

Yeah a few 'name' players signed after their legs had gone. Trying to think of any successes in this bracket and could only really come up with Mark Wallington who did a decent enough job when he came to us at the end of his career. Helps that he was a goalkeeper I suppose

Yeah a few 'name' players signed after their legs had gone. Trying to think of any successes in this bracket and could only really come up with Mark Wallington who did a decent enough job when he came to us at the end of his career. Helps that he was a goalkeeper I suppose

Neil Custis, blowhard football writer on The Sun, said during one of those Sky Sports shows where journalists talk about the game and prove why it is they get paid to write about football rather than talk about it, that the only time he's ever given a player a 10/10 was for Mark Wallington during the time he was reporting games for the Echo.

On the other hand, it's not just the "name" players who haven't performed when arriving late in their careers. What about Chesterfield legend Ernie Moss? He was about 35 when he came to Sincil Bank and looked it. Didn't stay long. Then went back to Chesterfield and scored a shed load more goals right into his dotage.

Turns out that Jim McCalliog was recently featured on this Channel 4 B&B reality show the other day.

Surely he has to be high amongst the list of the most disappointing signings in the club's history? Has any formerly famous player ever cut the mustard?

At 71 he certainly looks a lot fitter now than I remember him at Sincil Bank

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/fenwick-couple-set-showcase-bb-10666245
Didn't he play in the same Sheffield Wednesday side as Sam Ellis in 1966 fa cup final?

Yeah sure he was in the Wednesday side, I remember that final 2-3 Everton, with Everton coming back from 2 down.
Re-played the game with my mate on Subutteo, some great names in both teams

He got a winners medal with Southampton in 1976. I vaguely remember him being at City, as it was rare to have someone who had played at the top level and had been a full international.

Phil Stant was the best i can remember. 36? when he joined?

Trevor Hebberd, Worrell Sterling and Tony Dennis.

I would hardly class Tony Dennis as a former great, but I bet he would love that moniker. He played for my five-a-side team not long after he quit playing and he scored with his very first touch from the halfway line. Class player at that level and a bloody nice bloke too. The last I heard he was working as a baggage handler at Kirmington airport.