Four Day Week? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Four Day Week?

Or will this snowball into:

1. We managed to do 5 days work in 4 days. Wahooo.
2. You know you were getting paid 5 days wage for 4 days work? Well about that. Covid, economy, war in Ukraine etc. We can only pay you for 4 days work now.

I can personally see that coming.

Or will this snowball into:

1. We managed to do 5 days work in 4 days. Wahooo.
2. You know you were getting paid 5 days wage for 4 days work? Well about that. Covid, economy, war in Ukraine etc. We can only pay you for 4 days work now.

I can personally see that coming.
lots of people see it that way already though - overworked / underpaid. I'd sack Friday's off as thats a bit of a doss day for many anyway , albeit it was my most productive day this week

It will be a mind fuck for the presenteeism types in the workplace though. These people are fucking vermin.

I'm not sure if this was a discussion we had in this thread, or if there was one better suited? Please feel free to move if there is a better one.

Many UK firms taking part in a four-day working week trial have said they will keep it in place after the pilot ends.
More than 70 firms are taking part in the scheme where employees get 100% pay for 80% of their normal hours worked.

I'm not sure if this was a discussion we had in this thread, or if there was one better suited? Please feel free to move if there is a better one.

Many UK firms taking part in a four-day working week trial have said they will keep it in place after the pilot ends.
More than 70 firms are taking part in the scheme where employees get 100% pay for 80% of their normal hours worked.
The data seems to suggest it has been successful. I think it's absolutely the way forward. I've long done condensed hours which compresses five days worth of hours into four, it's great. I have to say even then there's ample time for procrastination and time for other pointless meetings. So I can totally see how an 20% reduction would work without hitting productivity.

The data seems to suggest it has been successful. I think it's absolutely the way forward. I've long done condensed hours which compresses five days worth of hours into four, it's great. I have to say even then there's ample time for procrastination and time for other pointless meetings. So I can totally see how an 20% reduction would work without hitting productivity.

Does it just prove we're all lazy gits?

Well its only thread I think. In fact, i thought we had one at one point... maybe we were wittering on somewhere else!

I think it is an excellent thing, if done right, and people put in a proper shift whilst at work. Makes work/life balance much better surely.

Well its only thread I think. In fact, i thought we had one at one point... maybe we were wittering on somewhere else!

I think it is an excellent thing, if done right, and people put in a proper shift whilst at work. Makes work/life balance much better surely.

I did a search for a thread, but couldn't find one. But then, the results depend on what I'm searching for, not what it might have been called!!!!

I do remember saying I took wednesday's off for 10 years at the end of my working life and never suffered from it.

Wonder how companies like Google will react, they didn't set up all these "perks" so they'd sit idle for an extra day a week. They want all of our extra time without actually paying for it. And I don't know how you clamp down on these work-whores who wield power in the office.

A woman I used to work with who was only 2 or 3 years older than me was one of these ***** who'd rock into between 9:30-10:00 and then stay until 7 or 8 at night. Then you had all the people around her afraid to go home on time because she'd call them out.

Wonder how companies like Google will react, they didn't set up all these "perks" so they'd sit idle for an extra day a week. They want all of our extra time without actually paying for it. And I don't know how you clamp down on these work-whores who wield power in the office.

A woman I used to work with who was only 2 or 3 years older than me was one of these ***** who'd rock into between 9:30-10:00 and then stay until 7 or 8 at night. Then you had all the people around her afraid to go home on time because she'd call them out.
I know a couple of software engineers at Google, they say it’s extremely political but also that they work for around 4 hours a day for the most part.

I was trying to get a 4-day week 30 years ago and even my manager thought it was a great idea, we never worked Friday afternoons for as long as I can remember. It however fell on deaf ears for some reason.

Then we started to go backwards as Mr Tata turned up at JLR one Friday afternoon and wanted to know why nobody was there and then forced all contractors back to 40 hours and staff were blackmailed into working Friday afternoons , Hourly paid went home at 12 because the unions were having non of it.

4 x 9-hour shifts jobs a good un less traffic less , less energy use etc and of course all day Friday on overtime whoops

I know a couple of software engineers at Google, they say it’s extremely political but also that they work for around 4 hours a day for the most part.
The only people I know that work a full 8 hours are production workers as they are controlled by a track

I was trying to get a 4-day week 30 years ago and even my manager thought it was a great idea, we never worked Friday afternoons for as long as I can remember. It however fell on deaf ears for some reason.

I kept saying to my boss this craic of keeping everyone in until 5 on a Friday is pointless because nobody is doing a tap. They started letting people crack open beers after 2 but obviously, that's a whole other mess. This is the states btw so things are much more lax in our industry here and it's a much younger office. The average age was probably late 20s vs. probably late 30s or early 40s in Ireland.

Me and the boss had a very open dialogue, I used to tell him realistically my weekend started Thursday evening. I come into work and close out a few bits Friday morning. I'd chat to a few folks and then once lunch hits I am basically done. They started doing summer Fridays too which is supposed to be you wrap up at 12 or 1pm but they decided to make 2pm. And once again I had to tell him you're only doing that so people come after lunch. Either do it and make it worthwhile or just don't make it a thing anymore.

Anyway now most people don't even go in on Friday and I block my calendar to stop people from setting up afternoon meetings on Fridays.

It's the way forward, people are increasingly sick and tired of the rat race, of presenteeism and generally devoting far too much time and attention to work above and beyond their remit.

Some concerned management types have coined a new term "quit quitting" to apparently describe people who are only content to do their job and leave on time every day. These kinds of attitudes reveal some barriers to a broader four day working week.

But it will be undeniably a good thing, productivity will probably not suffer, more people will be happier, more rested and be able to spend more time with their family and hobbies.