Forwards | Page 5 | Vital Football

Forwards

Not really. Do we sign a 1000-1 squad player with potential or Lyle Taylor for example? The answer is both if the budget allows but if not Taylor. First job is to improve the starting 11.
I don't understand why you don't want to sign players who are moving on the up and would prefer those who are going backwards in the more flair positions, i.e. wingers, attacking midfielders and strikers?
Financially it doesn't work. They cost more and have no resale value.
Motivationally do they have as much as somebody playing for their career?
Our signing so far, is he a young player who's just hit 20+ goals at his level or a more experienced player who's struggled to hit 10 at theirs? You all seem pretty happy with him or would you rather trade him in for Jermaine Pennant?
Footballing wise, Lyle Taylor's 6 ft 2. Is he really going to change how we're playing or keep up this long ball image? Personally I think Danny wants to be playing proper football and not long ball this season.
Best Championship Attacking players outside Wolves (they spent A LOT of money for Champions League talent, not something we can do for our respective level, Championship level players) this season? James Maddison and Ryan Sessegnon. Someone signed up from lower leagues and an academy product.
Judging by the clubs ticketing price strategy which is very high discounts for youngsters and students we're trying to provide entertainment for these people. A generation that is being drawn to the pretty passing premier league football. Therefore, it follows that we need to attempt to copy that to draw their interest. I believe that's more likely signing young, exciting players rather than 28 year old journeymen.

Yes I'm all for experienced pros at the back, i.e. Bostwick signings.

15 minutes using of searching gave me a few names. Obviously they would need scouting properly.
- Jason Gilchrist, Southport
- Jason Oswell, Stockport County
- Alfie Pavey, Dartford
- Sam Merson, St Albans City (Yes Paul Merson's son)

'Obviously they would need scouting properly.'

Do you really think every club in the lower two divisions hasn't already done that? I'm not sure what world you think EFL clubs live in - the 1950s?

OK, scour non-league for us. I mean it, go on, give us some names instead of being deliberately vague.

Any player who scores goals in non-league football is tracked by at least 50 clubs in the EFL on a weekly basis. Scouting these days does not consist of a few old guys in flat caps hanging around Hackney Marshes on a Sunday morning. Every game down to Southern League/Northern Premier League/Isthmian League level is filmed now and the footage made available on a variety of apps such as Hudl (which I think is the one Danny uses). Unless you want us to start looking at the Northern Counties East League for players, there are no hidden gems to be found. Is that the level you think we should be scouring? That is David Holdsworth territory.

The Welsh and Irish leagues and U23 football are a dreadful standard in general, but footage of those games is available too.

I named a few names to begin with if you can read. If you're going to pay me to scout them then sign me up. I have other stuff to do. I'm just trying to make a point.

Do you really think every club in the lower two divisions hasn't already done that? I'm not sure what world you think EFL clubs live in - the 1950s?
Yes they 'probably' have. Unless they're like you and believe that there's no point looking at these players because journeymen are more worthwhile.

I think football is currently in a world where those teams are signing the old, experienced players are falling behind and being ousted out. Look at the top, Moyes, Pardew, Wenger are all going. Who's coming in behind? Younger managers.
An example for us, who'd you rather have managing us? Steve Tillson, the experienced, done it before guy. Or Danny Cowley?
Nathan Jones? Takes Luton up. Or Russell Slade? Someone Grimsby would appoint.

Yes they 'probably' have. Unless they're like you and believe that there's no point looking at these players because journeymen are more worthwhile.

Where did I say we should be signing journeymen?

If you think the likes of Lyle Taylor are journeymen, you're crackers. He is 28 and a proven 20-goal a season man.

You seem to be living in some fantasy world where a club can discover a hidden gem that no one else has spotted. The world doesn't work like that any more!

I think football is currently in a world where those teams are signing the old, experienced players are falling behind and being ousted out. Look at the top, Moyes, Pardew, Wenger are all going. Who's coming in behind? Younger managers.
An example for us, who'd you rather have managing us? Steve Tillson, the experienced, done it before guy. Or Danny Cowley?
Nathan Jones? Takes Luton up. Or Russell Slade? Someone Grimsby would appoint.

I can't see the relevance of any of that. What are you talking about?

In terms of who I'd sign I'd scour non league, possibly Welsh or Irish leagues and released top academy players for somebody with a some pace, bagged 20 goals a season at their level and is ready to work hard for their first proper chance at being a professional footballer. Yes I understand they're rare, and we'll have competition but we can at least look and try rather than signing players that our rival clubs no longer would like.
That sounds like you are describing Andrade...

I named a few names to begin with if you can read.

No, all you did there was take a quick look at who scored goals in Steps 2 and 3 and wrote their names down, as if the likes of Lincoln City would not have thought of it. Dear me.

I am not sure that our scouting network is quite as extensive as you are imagining here

I don't understand why you don't want to sign players who are moving on the up and would prefer those who are going backwards in the more flair positions, i.e. wingers, attacking midfielders and strikers?

I do want us to sign exciting prospects. Absolutely. What I'm saying is I don't want to build a strike force around one when they can just as easily not make the grade. In fact most don't.

Allassani was one of the jewels of lower leagues, just signed by Coventry. It will be interesting to see how he does.

In the ideal world we would have a development squad [under23s?] full of emerging academy players and these 1/1000 potential chances from the lower leagues. Something to aim for, but we are nowhere near that currently.

Where did I say we should be signing journeymen?

If you think the likes of Lyle Taylor are journeymen, you're crackers. He is 28 and a proven 20-goal a season man.

You seem to be living in some fantasy world where a club can discover a hidden gem that no one else has spotted. The world doesn't work like that any more!
THAT'S EXACTLY HOW IT WORKS NOW!!!
Why do think all these academy's for the rejected academy players are popping up? Because the business men at Nike are doing it out the kindness of their hearts?

I do want us to sign exciting prospects. Absolutely. What I'm saying is I don't want to build a strike force around one when they can just as easily not make the grade. In fact most don't.
That's why we have Matt Green and Ollie Palmer. I thought most agreed Green could have been 20 goals if he hadn't been forced out wide?

I can't see the relevance of any of that. What are you talking about?
I'm trying to give you as many examples as possible about how football is changing to look for younger players on the up because you seem incapable of grasping the concept. So I used an example about managers to see if that got through.

That's why we have Matt Green and Ollie Palmer. I thought most agreed Green could have been 20 goals if he hadn't been forced out wide?

All I can do is repeat we're looking to improve the starting 11. I don't care where they come from as long as they do that. Most of the names we've been linked with that underwhelm you do that - but most important is that they fit the jigsaw that Danny has in his mind. None of us know what that looks like.

Let's sign potential but let's not rely on it from day 1.

No, all you did there was take a quick look at who scored goals in Steps 2 and 3 and wrote their names down, as if the likes of Lincoln City would not have thought of it. Dear me.
I did a little bit more. But yes, no fooling you Sherlock, I started out by doing what I said we should be doing.
I then checked whether they'd already be signed, contract length, checked league tables (promoted players less likely to leave), measured age, researched their past clubs and record, current teams budget to apply normally distributed errors as to find an estimate of their wage (no point looking if the team is paying them loads, e.g. the Fylde and Fleetwood model when they were at that level).
Basically I did the first steps of scouting.

Look, Lyle Taylor seems a good player. And should Palmer move on or Rheady tell Cowley he wants to reduce his playing time then yes I think he'd be a good signing.
However, at the moment with our current strikers I'd rather the club sign a younger player who's looking to move forwards with their career rather than likely (of course I don't know these people or their ambitions) create a legacy at a club and settle, likely because of family.

Tbh I have always liked the scunny model. A pipeline of recruiting or producing younger strikers, getting some goals out of them, and selling them on for big £££. The strikers make you the big money, not the defenders and defensive midfielders I am sure they have had a percentage of misfits, but overall it has sustained them pretty well, considered their size.