Forwards | Page 4 | Vital Football

Forwards

They wanted Woodyard and Colchester player

We said ok you can have Woodyard but we want Colchester player

Posh chairman who seems to get on with imps says ok and offers Colchester player less then we do

I love a good conspiracy theory but I haven't heard too many hints that we're talking with him?

here’s one for you: rank these as to how keen you are and why
Lyle Taylor
Tom Hopper
Mandron
Aherne-Grant
Morias
Leitch-Smith
Any I’ve missed? Those are just some names I’ve seen us linked to this week

here’s one for you: rank these as to how keen you are and why
Lyle Taylor
Tom Hopper
Mandron
Aherne-Grant
Morias
Leitch-Smith
Any I’ve missed? Those are just some names I’ve seen us linked to this week
Not excited by any of them to be honest. Is there anyone else?

Not excited by any of them to be honest. Is there anyone else?
Dont mean to be rude but do you know anything about football?

Taylor, Aherne-Grant would get me very excited. The rest would certainly be interesting and a step up on Palmer and Rhead in terms of goal threat.

Dont mean to be rude but do you know anything about football?

Taylor, Aherne-Grant would get me very excited. The rest would certainly be interesting and a step up on Palmer and Rhead in terms of goal threat.
Lyle Taylor - a 28 year old, 1 goal in 3 games striker who's been around this level for ages. I guess your partner has an easy job if that gets you excited.
Karlan Aherne-Grant - More of a winger in my mind, when played up front in the league above struggled terribly. Looking at his Crawley stats, fair enough he'd be good but for a change at this club we can do better than just good.

AJ Leitch-Smith - another journeyman with a poor goals record.
Mikael Mandron - Didn't stand out in an average team. Outscored by a midfielder.
Tom Hopper - Max scored in a season with some very good wide, creative players is 8. We need 20 goals. Do you really believe that conditions here are 3x as easy at Scunthorpe.
Junior Morias - I've heard some bad things about his temperament - granted they're only rumours so, yes the pace is exciting but he has very little end product for that pace.

Please tell us who you want us to sign?i would be very happy with any on that list!
In terms of who I'd sign I'd scour non league, possibly Welsh or Irish leagues and released top academy players for somebody with a some pace, bagged 20 goals a season at their level and is ready to work hard for their first proper chance at being a professional footballer. Yes I understand they're rare, and we'll have competition but we can at least look and try rather than signing players that our rival clubs no longer would like.

...In terms of who I'd sign I'd scour non league, possibly Welsh or Irish leagues and released top academy players for somebody with a some pace, bagged 20 goals a season at their level and is ready to work hard for their first proper chance at being a professional footballer...

So you'd build your season around the 1000-1 shot that no higher level teams want but you feel has bags of potential. If this player exists everyone already knows about him and if he's not on the radar then you're assuming he'll have his breakthrough season this season and with us.

There's definitely a place in a balanced squad for these players with potential but that's as far as it goes.

So you'd build your season around the 1000-1 shot that no higher level teams want but you feel has bags of potential. If this player exists everyone already knows about him and if he's not on the radar then you're assuming he'll have his breakthrough season this season and with us.

There's definitely a place in a balanced squad for these players with potential but that's as far as it goes.
Matt Green - 31, played professionally regularly since 2005 (Except time in reserves of Cardiff & Birmingham).
Matt Rhead - 34, played at a good level (Conference or above) since 2012.
Ollie Palmer - 26, 5 years of professional, regular football.
Looking at that, I'd say this '1000-1' signing may create that balance that there's a place for.

Matt Green - 31, played professionally regularly since 2005 (Except time in reserves of Cardiff & Birmingham).
Matt Rhead - 34, played at a good level (Conference or above) since 2012.
Ollie Palmer - 26, 5 years of professional, regular football.
Looking at that, I'd say this '1000-1' signing may create that balance that there's a place for.

Not really. Do we sign a 1000-1 squad player with potential or Lyle Taylor for example? The answer is both if the budget allows but if not Taylor. First job is to improve the starting 11.

Taylor has played a total of two seasons at League Two level and scored 24 goals in 3979 minutes so averages a goal every 166 minutes.

He only played the full 90 14 times (and had a match where he played 120 minutes) in 53 appearances at this level.

EDIT - To say he's played two seasons might be over stating it as well. He's had one full season (with AFC Wimbledon) and then 8 games with Hereford.

Last edited:
Please tell us who you want us to sign?i would be very happy with any on that list!
15 minutes using of searching gave me a few names. Obviously they would need scouting properly.
- Jason Gilchrist, Southport
- Jason Oswell, Stockport County
- Alfie Pavey, Dartford
- Sam Merson, St Albans City (Yes Paul Merson's son)

In terms of who I'd sign I'd scour non league, possibly Welsh or Irish leagues and released top academy players for somebody with a some pace, bagged 20 goals a season at their level and is ready to work hard for their first proper chance at being a professional footballer.

OK, scour non-league for us. I mean it, go on, give us some names instead of being deliberately vague.

Any player who scores goals in non-league football is tracked by at least 50 clubs in the EFL on a weekly basis. Scouting these days does not consist of a few old guys in flat caps hanging around Hackney Marshes on a Sunday morning. Every game down to Southern League/Northern Premier League/Isthmian League level is filmed now and the footage made available on a variety of apps such as Hudl (which I think is the one Danny uses). Unless you want us to start looking at the Northern Counties East League for players, there are no hidden gems to be found. Is that the level you think we should be scouring? That is David Holdsworth territory.

The Welsh and Irish leagues and U23 football are a dreadful standard in general, but footage of those games is available too.