Forwards | Vital Football

Forwards

elkimp

Vital Reserves Team
There seems to be a rumour on the Woodyard thread that one of our forwards wants to leave. I think it will be Palmer. He will want a start and is just not going to get it under Danny. Palmer does go from the sublime to ridiculous, or suber-sub to cart-horse. I would let him go. Not consistent enough to start and does not want to stay and sit on the bench.
So that would leave two.
Rhead has been figured out a bit in this league, by refs and defenders, and he makes us very one dimensional. Often hitting the diagonal to him again and again for 60+ minutes. I would use Rhead from the bench when we need something different last 15 mins.
Green struggles in the 4-3-3 playing wider. He needs to play down the middle. Full-stop. Arguably our 3rd most consistent performer last season and 17 goals isn't a bad return. Could have had more if played down the middle and if he took more of the gilt edged chances.
So that only leaves one forward starter. Green.
Two-three forwards needed then. A fox in the box type. A pace merchant. And a tall, rangy forward like Palmer but who can use his head and is more consistent.
Good luck Danny. But I'm so looking forward to seeing them.

Out of our 3 current strikers this rumour could be either Palmer or Rhead.
Palmer will want more starts and who could blame him for that.
Rhead I just wonder if its a question of location. I understand he still lives in Stoke which is a good hour and a half/two hour trek one way which might be an issue now if some teams closer to him such as Crewe or Macclesfield are sniffing.

Probably not Port Vale though as he is a confessed Stoke fan

I think we lose out on a player with Green & Rhead. We need to be looking at someone like Stockley who has the combination of the skills that Green and Rhead provide. This would then give us more options with the A N other forward. Palmer is actually close to the sort of player we need but lacks the quality unfortunately .

I see that Lewandowski wants to leave Bayern. He ticks all the boxes elkimp mentions.

Bit of crowd funding shouldn't be a problem surely

Who has what left on there contracts?
Again a rumour along with quite a few others on the woodyard thread! Palmer i believe moved the family here last summer so i would be staggered if its him!Green cant think of any reason why he would want to leave and same with Rheady where he is adored by all!He trains at home one day a week also!So unless he wants one less pay day.

Again a rumour along with quite a few others on the woodyard thread! Palmer i believe moved the family here last summer so i would be staggered if its him!Green cant think of any reason why he would want to leave and same with Rheady where he is adored by all!He trains at home one day a week also!So unless he wants one less pay day.
Scotimp has a meticulously maintained thread of contract details

To quote:

Updated following the departure of Alex Woodyard:

The current squad is (contract date):

Goalkeepers (3):
Josh Vickers (2019)
Paul Farman (2019)
Richard Walton (contract offered)

Defenders (5):
Neal Eardley (2020)
James Wilson (2020)
Sam Habergham (2019)
Luke Waterfall (2019)
Sean Long (contract offered)

Midfielders (8):
Harry Anderson (2020)
Bruno Andrade (2020)
Michael Bostwick (2020)
Ellis Chapman (2020)
Lee Frecklington (2020)
Tom Pett (2020)
Nathan Arnold (2019)
Elliott Whitehouse (contract offered)

Forwards (3):
Matt Rhead (2019)
Matt Green (2019)
Ollie Palmer (2019)

Total: 19
Under contract: 16
Contracts pending: 3

Last pay day!?

Green would score more goals if only he could kick with both feet instead of just his right one, defences soon cotton on to this fact that he's one footed, he also isn't very good heading the ball, and loses out everytime a defender tackles him.
But his 17 goals isn't a bad return for a one footed forward, but he could be getting nearer the 30 mark with both feet.
Tin Hat already on:grinning:

Of the players left in league two, green is now fifth top scorer [league 2 goals]. And rising if Eisa and stockley are on the move. I hope it is not him wanting away.

Of the players left in league two, green is now fifth top scorer [league 2 goals]. And rising if Eisa and stockley are on the move. I hope it is not him wanting away.

Imps 2018 posted this on he Cheltenham thread saying that Mo Eisa had already joind Cheltenham

Yesterday at 2:29 PM Cheltenham seem to be making some very good early signings this summer with the likes of Connor Thomas, Chris Hussey & Ben Tozer joining. Include Mo Eisa, Scott Flinders, Jerrell Sellars (Ex us if I'm right?) & Carl Winchester already at the club. Could they be promotion rivals next season?

Donny have released a former target of ours in Andy Williams (no Notty not the singer!)
Wages were the stumbling block last season but now its out of contract would he be back on the radar.
A Donny supporting colleague at work reckons he'd do a great job for us.

Donny have released a former target of ours in Andy Williams (no Notty not the singer!)
Wages were the stumbling block last season but now its out of contract would he be back on the radar.
A Donny supporting colleague at work reckons he'd do a great job for us.

He signed for Northampton ?

It feels like it's very unlikely to be Rhead (new deal in December). Green might have been frustrated playing wide but I doubt he'd want to move on again and he still scored well. I'd like to see him more down the middle but not sure how we do that effectively.

It seems likely to be Palmer if it's true, but also a bit weird. He surely must have known when he signed he would not be a regular starter, and actually he has been good off the bench and a firm favourite. I did wonder if he was frustrated that he got to start a game and then was dropped for Anderson for the final two in the playoffs. I could probably understand that, having scored the winner against Exeter in the league game and with Harry a bit off form...

There's some substance in the Hopper rumour, but how far we are down the line or how likely we are to get it over the line I am not sure... Since his Thailand incident, he has really got his head down and would be a great signing imo

Cheltenham seem to be making some very good early signings this summer with the likes of Connor Thomas, Chris Hussey & Ben Tozer joining. Include Mo Eisa, Scott Flinders, Jerrell Sellars (Ex us if I'm right?) & Carl Winchester already at the club. Could they be promotion rivals next season?

Interesting how people see things differently - I was looking at the signings Cheltenham had made earlier today and thought what a mediocre bunch they look (with the possible exceptions of Thomas and Hussey). Johnson did the same thing last close season and ended up with a right load of rubbish (Eisa didn't sign until July). Johnson has a tiny budget at the moment, and I am slightly surprised to see him making so many signings so early in the close season - with rumours circulating over Eisa, you would have thought he would hang fire for a week or two. Winchester has reportedly agreed to move to FGR anyway.