Fortress Priestfield has become more | Vital Football

Fortress Priestfield has become more

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
like a sandcastle.
In my view Evans has made a big mistake going for youth rather than experience.
I appreciate that this may well have been for financial reasons but the more I have seen of this current team the less confident I am of us not getting drawn in to a relegation dogfight.
We need some experience and creativity in midfield and we certainly need a experienced centre back.
I thought Tucker was OK yesterday alongside Ogilvie but we have no cover.
I don't rate Jackson not sure what Evans saw in him.
Evans has said he's looking at free transfers the sooner the better.
I can see us getting tonked by Ipswich if we don't strengthen.

Experience costs money. I'm actually enjoying watching this group of kids play. Yes we are on a bad run but already I would say there is enough in our squad to finish mid table or above.

I agree, Vambo. Like you, i`m enjoying watching our talented young guys play. It`s been unfortunate that the likes of Dempsey and O`Keefe haven`t been in the mix to take the tiller when required. But, still every reason to be confident about GFC having a decent season and providing decent entertainment.

It was only a few seasons back that we had dour, negative and uninspired performances week in week out to look forward to......

I agree with Vambo and Lancs. youth and inexperience is obviously cheaper, and they will make mistakes as they learn. But I would far rather watch a team of youngsters willing to put themselves about than a load of 30 something journeymen just doing enough and taking a last payday.

Now that would end in a relegation dogfight.

I feel this group we have are more than capable of a slightly above mid table finish. A flirt with the top 6 would be nice...........

Akinde is 31 years old and has bags of experience, Medley is 20 years old and has little experience.
Did Akinde or Medley have the most influence on yesterdays game ? I know which one I think worked the hardest and would have been missed if he wasn't there.

I wasn't really expecting much more than a relegation battle. I have to say some of the signings have been better than I expected. But too many have not played as well as we would hope as yet.The back bone of a defence has gone.That has possibly damaged confidence. IE if a player is worried about getting forward and has more concern about what is going on behind him.Thats why I think at least for the next few games Evans needs to simplify the game plan.A straight two banks of four would be a start.Make it difficult to play against us.It might mean leaving out a forward player.But at present having someone like Samuel and Akindie to bring on for example might make a difference. The three man midfield is not working that is leaving the front and side door open.
Playing a attacking player in a deeper position doesn't always work.

Agreed Chris; (see my 'Team for Ipswich thread)
Put McKenzie and MacDonald in front of the back 4, and have Samuel as lone striker , with Graham in free role; at least for 2-3 games before we get Dempsey back and maybe get in an experienced free-agent centre-back

Agreeing with the last few posts above. I was very depressed after Saturday’s game. But upon reflection, we weren’t that bad. Possibly the better of 2 sides and deserved a draw imho. That would have left us w3d2L3. Very mid-table.

I think having injuries to Dempsey and OKeefe is really hurting us. That’s probably our 2 best and most experienced midfielders right there. Add the fact we have variously had the odd game missed through injuries, suspension or illness with Mellis (another experienced player), Willock, Medley, Jackson, Oliver and others, it hasn’t helped us get any kind of settled team or rhythm. (Can also include SE’s tendency to tinker with lineup and formation).

I would agree with the age thing being an issue. Except Lincoln have a team with an average age about 2 years younger than ours and are top. Donny also going well with a team younger than ours. Not sure if those teams have experienced CB’s and midfielders. Anyone know?

Agreeing with the last few posts above. I was very depressed after Saturday’s game. But upon reflection, we weren’t that bad. Possibly the better of 2 sides and deserved a draw imho. That would have left us w3d2L3. Very mid-table.

I think having injuries to Dempsey and OKeefe is really hurting us. That’s probably our 2 best and most experienced midfielders right there. Add the fact we have variously had the odd game missed through injuries, suspension or illness with Mellis (another experienced player), Willock, Medley, Jackson, Oliver and others, it hasn’t helped us get any kind of settled team or rhythm. (Can also include SE’s tendency to tinker with lineup and formation).

I would agree with the age thing being an issue. Except Lincoln have a team with an average age about 2 years younger than ours and are top. Donny also going well with a team younger than ours. Not sure if those teams have experienced CB’s and midfielders. Anyone know?
Doncaster have a fair bit of experience at centre back as do Lincoln they also have a 39 year old so I can't see how Donny have a young squad than ours .Lincoln may we be younger however perhaps vital to their team is a 31 year old defensive midfielder as captain.

Doncaster have a fair bit of experience at centre back as do Lincoln they also have a 39 year old so I can't see how Donny have a young squad than ours .Lincoln may we be younger however perhaps vital to their team is a 31 year old defensive midfielder as captain.

Yeah. I’m going on the stats put up on OneFootballForum.

Our squad is approx 24yo average (just under). Donny apparently about 23.5, and would be under 23 if you take out 39yo striker James Coppinger. Lincoln was stated as 22.5yo. Very young. I was wondering if they are maybe including an extended youth squad in their numbers, but not sure. Either way, their fans were talking about how young their team is.

I think AFCW is another very young team. Their oldest squad member is apparently 28. We have 3 or 4 that age or older.

As mentioned earlier, if Dempsey and O’Keefe were still available, that’s our inexperienced middle taken care of. I think Ogilvie should be kept at CB when he returns. Medley looked good at full back and O’Connor can go there too.

I think some people are confusing the age of the squad, and the age of the starting eleven, we are certainly one of the youngest for starting eleven.

Yes looking at Lincoln there are very few of any experience two centre backs 25 and 27 and their 31 year old skipper in midfield.That is about it I think the rest are youngsters.

Would you all have been saying this the day before the MK Dons game?

Eight days is a long time in football. Yes, I think we should have a better blend of youth and experience but I also think having an experienced management team should balance out the inexperience and average age of the players over a full season.

Having the likes of Arsenal youngsters on the books has to be good but they are going to need arms put round their shoulders and reassurance of their talent at challenging times. If they get that, I can see them getting better and better.

With the level of turnover during the summer, it was always going to take some time to blend and so our better than expected start was deceptive.

It's absolutely the right way to build the squad, imo.

They'll learn on the way, but much rather we develop hungry young players than ageing veterans looking for a late career payday.

Not even a seed of doubt in my mind. Long may it continue.
Depends if they can be given time. If we continue to lose, morale will suffer, bringing in some experience will help further develop the younger players.

It is normally about getting the blend right .Having a lot of young players works if you have sufficient leadership. We have that off the pitch but not on it.The loss of O'Keefe might be more than just his ability with the ball.We have not had a really vocal leader on the pitch for a few years now.That being the case depending on someone like Jackson to take over the armband when he himself often needs to be reminded of his defensive responsibilities shows we are not in a good position at present. The need for Dempsey, Robertson and Ogilvie to get back to playing at their best regularly is not just a wish it is essential. Tucker also needs to prove he is quality he is clearly missing something this season. I would say that is almost certainly a experienced player talking and giving him good advice.