Former Villa Players who 'moved on' to achieve | Page 2 | Vital Football

Former Villa Players who 'moved on' to achieve

Veretout and Gueye went on to do much better things, two of the most recent examples. Amavi not so much as he's just an average fullback at an average side, certainly an improvement on us in the championship mind but Veretout and Gueye have ended up at top clubs and are key performers.

Veretout and Gueye went on to do much better things, two of the most recent examples. Amavi not so much as he's just an average fullback at an average side, certainly an improvement on us in the championship mind but Veretout and Gueye have ended up at top clubs and are key performers.

I always liked Veretout, shame the timing was wrong. I didn’t think many villa fans saw much in him, but a few games he was quality - I seem to remember Newcastle away being one where he scored a screamer.

Amavi never played the same after his injury, I can’t remember what he did exactly but it was either something physically holding him back or mentally. He turned into a bit of a Neil Taylor style tackling where he went into it about 20% when he came back.

I always liked Veretout, shame the timing was wrong. I didn’t think many villa fans saw much in him, but a few games he was quality - I seem to remember Newcastle away being one where he scored a screamer.

Amavi never played the same after his injury, I can’t remember what he did exactly but it was either something physically holding him back or mentally. He turned into a bit of a Neil Taylor style tackling where he went into it about 20% when he came back.
It was Ayew who scored a screamer at Newcastle, I don't think Veretout scored for us.

For me he was a good player technically and could pass well but he suffered massively from awful coaching. His strength and conditioning was never good enough and I blame the coaching staff for that.

Agree on Amavi, he looked total shite after his injury, looked pretty good prior to that, especially going forward.

It was Ayew who scored a screamer at Newcastle, I don't think Veretout scored for us.

For me he was a good player technically and could pass well but he suffered massively from awful coaching. His strength and conditioning was never good enough and I blame the coaching staff for that.

Agree on Amavi, he looked total shite after his injury, looked pretty good prior to that, especially going forward.

Yes it was Ayew come to think of it. Veretout played well though in the game, only Villa4ever can prove me wrong on that when he brings up the 2015 opta stats rating Veretout a 5.6

The question is who moved on and achieved, every single one of them I mentioned went on and achieved trophies or bettering their career, including Mellberg and Laursen winning titles in Italy etc.
Incorrect I'm afraid.

Laursen moved to us from Milan and ended his playing career with us. He most certainly did not go on and win titles elsewhere.

You are allowed to be wrong now and again.

We bought Veretout for 9m, sold for 6.3m, he was then sold on to Roma for 14.4m and is currently valued a lot more than McGinn.

He's now playing in Europe every season so for me it's another tick to say he's moved on and achieved.

Incorrect I'm afraid.

Laursen moved to us from Milan and ended his playing career with us. He most certainly did not go on and win titles elsewhere.

Ah I thought he went back and had a short stint like Mellberg (y)

There's got to be more players that haven't been mentioned ?

Benteke
Downing Young Milner
Barry Delph
Bertrand(L) Cahill Tuanzebe(L) Walker(L)
Johnstone(L)

There's a lineup of players who decided they were too good for Villa so moved on or didn't sign permanently.

I'd say Johnstone, Tuanzebe and Benteke are the only ones who regretted their decisions?

We bought Veretout for 9m, sold for 6.3m, he was then sold on to Roma for 14.4m and is currently valued a lot more than McGinn.

He's now playing in Europe every season so for me it's another tick to say he's moved on and achieved.
Always rated Veretout and thought he was very harshly treated on here. Just a case of right place, wrong time for the likes of him, Gana and Amavi.

It's a hard one to say really, I'm doing us an injustice by mentioning some of them like Vlaar perhaps, I'm sure if Aston Villa were in the Scottish/Dutch/Turkish League we'll be playing Champions League football every season.

Just like Brad Guzan winning the league and a few other trophies in America, for him he's achieved Trophies but not a fair reflection on the Premiership.

Always rated Veretout and thought he was very harshly treated on here. Just a case of right place, wrong time for the likes of him, Gana and Amavi.

He didnt look suited to the PL IMO. Had good technical ability but always seemed to want too much time on the ball. Italian football seems to suit him

The question is who moved on and achieved, every single one of them I mentioned went on and achieved trophies or bettering their career, including Mellberg and Laursen winning titles in Italy etc.

Yes both Deeney and Sturridge was at Villa academy.

Crouch doesn't matter if he wasn't a fit for us he still went on and achieved better winning the FA cup.

I think we may be reading the title differently then. To me it reads, which players chose to leave us in order to achieve more elsewhere than they could with Villa.

Laursen hasnt kicked a ball since leaving us, his knee is well and truly knackered.

Incorrect I'm afraid.

Laursen fucking retired here due to injuries LOL. Are we saying being forced to retire through injury is going on to better things, are we that bad? :grinning:

Are you getting him mixed up with Ayew? I remember him scoring a good goal at St. James' the year we went down

Laursen fucking retired here due to injuries LOL. Are we saying being forced to retire through injury is going on to better things, are we that bad? :grinning:

I was in the Army based in Germany between 2008-2012 so I missed a lot that was going on, I thought he went back to Milan around the same time as Mellberg went to Juventus, I got one wrong and you guys pounce like Piranhas :ROFLMAO:

Btw Mellberg has now been a manager for 3 seasons.