Former Villa Players who 'moved on' to achieve | Vital Football

Former Villa Players who 'moved on' to achieve

villasince67

Vital Football Hero
Now who could that be then - could it be the boring boot nosed one who picks seven defenders for home games

Delph
Milner
Barry
Young
Downing
Routledge
Cahill
Amavi
Veretout
Gueye
Mellberg
Laursen
Deeney
Crouch
Strurridge
Moore
Off my head lol

Delph
Milner
Barry
Young
Downing
Routledge
Cahill
Amavi
Veretout
Gueye
Mellberg
Laursen
Deeney
Crouch
Strurridge
Moore
Off my head lol
I wouldn't include Mellberg or Laursen, and I think Sturridge/Deeney(he was on our books??) is a stretch. Crouch was just not a good fit for ODreary (who was?) but I don't think he moved because of ambition. When you look at that list, almost all happened between 2005 and 2016, which speaks volumes to the "level" we were at during that dark period in our history....

Delph
Milner
Barry
Young
Downing
Routledge
Cahill
Amavi
Veretout
Gueye
Mellberg
Laursen
Deeney
Crouch
Strurridge
Moore
Off my head lol

The top 5 on your list left to win trophies/bigger wages etc. But the rest of them were either pushed out, moved on because they couldn't get a game or retired.

I think until recently we'd had more players capped by England than any other club, so I think it's safe to say they also come to Villa to achieve, we could supply 7 now that would be as good as that shite Southgate picks

When the bootnose moved to 'Boro he said 'If I am to achieve in my career, it's time to move on'.

So glad Seville smashed them, and all he ever won was a player of the month I think it was in his playing career. Unless they won a league cup I’m forgetting?

It’s very personal to me, the Southgate thing. Personal in that he’s a very average manager who seems to have some godly light being shone his way.

He isn’t a winner, he isn’t inspirational, he isn’t a top master of the managerial game. He’s also from personal experience having met him once, a boring, dull bloke with very little personality. I don’t think he has the required level of respect from the junior players, and is treated like a supply teacher.

I wouldn't include Mellberg or Laursen, and I think Sturridge/Deeney(he was on our books??) is a stretch. Crouch was just not a good fit for ODreary (who was?) but I don't think he moved because of ambition. When you look at that list, almost all happened between 2005 and 2016, which speaks volumes to the "level" we were at during that dark period in our history....
The top 5 on your list left to win trophies/bigger wages etc. But the rest of them were either pushed out, moved on because they couldn't get a game or retired.

The question is who moved on and achieved, every single one of them I mentioned went on and achieved trophies or bettering their career, including Mellberg and Laursen winning titles in Italy etc.

Yes both Deeney and Sturridge was at Villa academy.

Crouch doesn't matter if he wasn't a fit for us he still went on and achieved better winning the FA cup.

Last edited: