Forgive Me for Being Pessimistic... (Gills Related!) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Forgive Me for Being Pessimistic... (Gills Related!)

The article is full of ifs, buts and maybes plus why not meet via video link? Coronavirus might be the last straw but GFC has been on the brink of financial disaster long before Scally's time and ever since. Debt restructuring, debt write offs, selling players and grabbing future income means eventually hitting the buffers without a big cash injection, which is most likely to come from the USA, Russia, China or the ME. Or are we being softened up for administration?

There’s no doubting the potential here (although apathy leaves a sore taste) and maybe in these times the time for investing in a League 1 team is right give. The question marks on the financial state of the Championship? Maybe change is finally coming?
I agree that Americans see new stadiums as key, which is why they go about replacing anything that’s 30-40 years old. That said, the main appeal is having an out-of-town job with tens of thousands of parking spaces which they can charge a season ticket figure per spot. The likes of Charlotte, Jacksonville and New Orleans with stadia that are in/walkable from the city centre seem a dying breed, particularly with the talk of Charlotte building an out-of-town dome for my stated reasons and Jaguars possibly moving to London.

The logic you allude to, relating to space, is why, IMO, north Kent holds interest. I would imagine that any strategy running through a business case that makes taking the name and status of GFC worthwhile has to be fairly long term. Taking into account your references to the appeal of thousands of parking spaces and adding to that a domestic and international railway hub, a new bridge crossing the Thames from Essex to Kent and the possibility, albeit remote, of a possible air terminal of some sort on Grain - there`s potentially much to attract mega growth in north Kent. That rationale is clearly not lost on the massive investment (still) planned for the giant entertainment park near to Gravesend. My thought, hypothetically speculating that the giant park would offer spin off infrastructure upgrade and benefits, would be the viability around putting a Premiership football team into that mix. A plan involving the purchase and investment into a club like GFC, could well assist the process. But then, bearing in mind that US business would think nothing of lifting a football team from somewhere like Scunthorpe and plonking it down in Gravesham couldn`t be ruled out; then there`s Ebbsfleet Utd. But my money, if i had Billions, would be on GFC.

Hmmm. Opposite philosophy is being done here in Australia.

The big new stadiums (Perth and Adelaide) are very much linked directly to the City precincts. Provides a massive boost to the economies of those Cities on match-day when 60,000 people filter out of the grounds looking for a feed, a few beers and a night out.

Win win.

Mind you, the whole of sport in this country is built around free public transport (from within that City) to the game included in your ticket.

And I suppose most Cities in UK wouldn’t particularly want 50k football fans invading their nightspots. Different breed of fans over here maybe.

OSK, doesn`t the fact that you have so much space in Aus give the planners more options and choice ? Space in the UK is at a premium, especially the kind of space that needs infra-structure in place to support commercial/leisure development ?

OSK, doesn`t the fact that you have so much space in Aus give the planners more options and choice ? Space in the UK is at a premium, especially the kind of space that needs infra-structure in place to support commercial/leisure development ?

Oh, most definitely Lancs, space makes it a lot easier here.

Doesn’t always stop the planners completely stuffing things up. But from what I’ve seen, they’ve scored a hit in both Adelaide and Perth.

I’ve got to visit Perth and go to an AFL game at the Perth Stadium there. Well, when our borders open again....

always seems to happen at the same time a good excuse for it not happening hits the news. Wait for "because of the current situation regarding corona virus and its affect on the financial world, the potential investors are unwilling to proceed ".

always seems to happen at the same time a good excuse for it not happening hits the news. Wait for "because of the current situation regarding corona virus and its affect on the financial world, the potential investors are unwilling to proceed ".

How do you mean “wait for”?

The article already states it’s on hold for that reason. I think this is just a non-story the Sun is using to fill their voids.

Logic might have suggested that it was a good time to push it forward, if the USD has surged c/f the £S. The actual release of funds can go ahead following negotiations which will carry on past this little outbreak.