For the "older" fans ..... ie all of you ! | Vital Football

For the "older" fans ..... ie all of you !

A cracking player, it only seems like yesterday i was watching him play,
he was a player who has always stuck in my memory.

I was at the Bridge that night Tommy scored against Chelsea. It was a Monday due to the fact the previous tie v Northwich had taken forever to complete. If my memory serves me well Chelsea had beaten the Barcodes 6 2 on the Saturday and were romping what is now the Championship. Nobody gave us a sniff but it true Latics fashion the applecart was well and truly upset. Chelsea fans clapped us off at the end which was great. We then played Everton in the next round the following Saturday I think and the match tickets read Everton v Chelsea or Wigan or Northwich. Those were the days.

Only a slip of a lad at the time but didn't Tommy have some special boots for the game as the pitch was half frozen ?

I was at the Bridge that night Tommy scored against Chelsea. It was a Monday due to the fact the previous tie v Northwich had taken forever to complete. If my memory serves me well Chelsea had beaten the Barcodes 6 2 on the Saturday and were romping what is now the Championship. Nobody gave us a sniff but it true Latics fashion the applecart was well and truly upset. Chelsea fans clapped us off at the end which was great. We then played Everton in the next round the following Saturday I think and the match tickets read Everton v Chelsea or Wigan or Northwich. Those were the days.
I was there also

Cant remember him wearing special boots but if he did it worked. Loved Tommy Gore and Mickey Worswick but then again every player was god like to me. We are so lucky to support Wigan Athletic the gift that has always kept on giving.

They certainly were the days, when fans mixed with the players after the match,
we had some good laughs having a drink with the players.

On away trips during the week, they were surprised on how far we had travelled
to watch them play, some of the players were working as well.

My memory could be playing tricks on me,
but when we got into the Football League didn't some players leave because
they didn't want to go full-time?

Last edited:
No really - it's stuck in my mind that Tommy wore "special" boots that night 😁

I think the whole team did …as Stamford Bridge pitch was near frozen ….I have some vague memory that the club ‘learned a lesson‘ from an FA Cup replay defeat at Bury a year or two earlier ??…..they’d gone to Gigg Lane on a freezing night and Bury were using some different boots and ran rings round us as our lot we’re struggling to keep their feet.

Not sure if that’s absolutely correct but I think that or summat like that was the case.

If I remember right it had to be played on the Monday so if a replay was needed it would have been 2 days later on the Wednesday as Everton was in the 4th round and it had been a real bad time for games being called off that winter. Didn't we play the home game v Northwich on Christmas Eve, leading 2 0 they scored 2 really late on to take it to another replay.

They certainly were the days, when fans mixed with the players after the match,
we had some good laughs having a drink with the players.

On away trips during the week, they were surprised on how far we had travelled
to watch them play, some of the players were working as well.

My memory could be playing tricks on me,
but when we got into the Football League didn't some players leave because
they didn't want to go full-time?

It was said they could not afford to go onto a single wage job

If I remember right it had to be played on the Monday so if a replay was needed it would have been 2 days later on the Wednesday as Everton was in the 4th round and it had been a real bad time for games being called off that winter. Didn't we play the home game v Northwich on Christmas Eve, leading 2 0 they scored 2 really late on to take it to another replay.

I thnk so …seem to temember driving there direct from work in Bryn but cant remember if that was the subsequent 2-2 or the initial one where we were 2 (or 3) nil up when the Bloody fog rolled in.

The fog was at their place and we were 3 0 up after 73 mins when it was abandoned the 2nd attempt may have been the xmas eve game I know we were 2 0 up on 90 mins then they got a penalty and equalised. We eventually beat them at Springy in the replay 1 0. I think Tommy also scored a corker at Northwich in the abandoned game.

I remember one of those matches being a bit tetchy on the terraces.
Didn't a copper hit the front pages on of the Sunday newspapers with a dart in the side of his nose.

The fog was at their place and we were 3 0 up after 73 mins when it was abandoned the 2nd attempt may have been the xmas eve game I know we were 2 0 up on 90 mins then they got a penalty and equalised. We eventually beat them at Springy in the replay 1 0. I think Tommy also scored a corker at Northwich in the abandoned game.
Derek Brownbill scored the winner in the replay at Springfield …I think in ET

The Chelsea game was one of the best nights of my life. I had a shitty few weeks leading up to it and the I found my Latics medicine.

We found some wood and breezeblocks and built our own stand for the first game at Northwich

Happy days 😁