Football .....The Return... | Page 7 | Vital Football

Football .....The Return...

Not sure what's going on but the EFL (for a change) seem to be all over the place.
Why are they allowing the clubs in each league to decide between themselves what to do ?
There should be a joined up solution covering season end promotion, playoffs and relegation that is the same for every division under their jurisdiction. These idiots are hurtling towards piecemeal solutions which will throw next season into chaos as well.
Think the EFL have handled things quite well to be honest. L2 and Championship is all but sorted. L1 is the difficult one with the division split between big clubs and small clubs. The big clubs and those at the top want the season to carry on, whilst the small clubs who can't afford it want to stop. It's impossible to have a joined up solution due to the vast difference in TV money between the Championship and the other two leagues. Championship clubs financially can't afford to end of the season, whilst L2 clubs (and a number of L1 clubs) financially can't afford to restart the season.

The EFL is giving all the league's chairman the chance to come to an agreement and will take things to a vote if they don't. The only issue they will face is enforcing relegations for the leagues that vote to cancel (L2 and possibly L1). Lawsuits will probably be taken but that's unavoidable. At this point it's impossible to please every club, so the best they can do is please the majority.

Personally if we still have Balogan playing for us, I think we'll be fine and stay up providing no injuries/positive Covid tests. If either Hull, Barnsley or Luton get more points than us in these nine games considering we'll have a minimum two point head start, then quite frankly we deserve to go down, crowds or no crowds.

The shambles of an organisation that is the EFL appears to have finally made a decision,

There will be promotion, play offs and relegation as intended - regardless of whether the season is curtailed or is played to its ‘natural’ conclusion. The interesting thing (if I interpret their statement right) is that leagues can be curtailed if 51% of clubs within it agree. So effectively 13 or more clubs are needed to curtail it now and go with ppg.

As such surely that means the Championship will vote for this. Top 2 undoubtedly; top 6 highly likely (maybe Fulham would think they could pinch an auto spot - though are just as likely to think they could lose a play off spot); and I’d say maybe 8-9 teams above the relegation line would be content to call it a day rather than risk going down. No further expense of extending contracts, hotels, travel, testing etc and further time to plan ahead going the constraints going forward.

If it goes to a vote the season is over and ppg kicks in....hope so. Only ones to vote against will be bottom 3 and max of 5 or 6 clubs nearest play offs. So say 9 against and 15 for.
No chance. Every playoff club bar PNE will vote continue with West Brom in their sight. Leeds will continue out of morality and the bottom three will all continue. That’s seven clubs right there. Then you’ve got all the clubs within distance of the playoffs so Bristol City, Cardiff, Millwall, Blackburn and even QPR. Then you’ve got Derby, Sheff Wed and Birmingham who all face FFP charges and could drop into the bottom three should they be deducted points. It will be a comfortable majority for the season to continue.

No chance. Every playoff club bar PNE will vote continue with West Brom in their sight. Leeds will continue out of morality and the bottom three will all continue. That’s seven clubs right there. Then you’ve got all the clubs within distance of the playoffs so Bristol City, Cardiff, Millwall, Blackburn and even QPR. Then you’ve got Derby, Sheff Wed and Birmingham who all face FFP charges and could drop into the bottom three should they be deducted points. It will be a comfortable majority for the season to continue.

Im not sure as I think Brentford & Forest who are only 5pts above 7th wouldnt risk their play off place to try and make up at least 10 pts and finish above Fulham & WBA.
I would stick if I was them which then makes it a close call.

Whilst I’ve missed footy I’m not desperate for it to return. There’s far too much going on and it just isn’t that important.

If it does come back in the next few weeks I cant help but think clubs may exploit whatever systems are in place. If a club is suddenly in the relegation zone might they have some players test positive? There’s far too many if, buts and maybes. I think they should scrap it all until it’s safe to start again with a new season.

Im not sure as I think Brentford & Forest who are only 5pts above 7th wouldnt risk their play off place to try and make up at least 10 pts and finish above Fulham & WBA.
I would stick if I was them which then makes it a close call.
Let’s say theoretically you’re correct. I’m looking at the table now and only six points separate 13th placed QPR from 6th placed PNE with 27 points still to play for. That’s seven clubs right there that will vote continue plus Leeds, Fulham and the three relegated clubs. So that‘s 12 clubs nailed on to vote continue with only one more required for a majority. Sheff Wed and Birmingham are eight and nine points off the playoffs respectively and both have potential points deductions hanging over them, so can’t risk the season ending and them not being able to put more space between them and the bottom three. Garry Monk has literally come out today and said he wants to finish it the season.

We’re carrying on, absolutely no doubt about it. League One is where it will get tasty. That one could definitely go either way.

Whilst I’ve missed footy I’m not desperate for it to return. There’s far too much going on and it just isn’t that important.

If it does come back in the next few weeks I cant help but think clubs may exploit whatever systems are in place. If a club is suddenly in the relegation zone might they have some players test positive? There’s far too many if, buts and maybes. I think they should scrap it all until it’s safe to start again with a new season.
Said that from day one

Let’s say theoretically you’re correct. I’m looking at the table now and only six points separate 13th placed QPR from 6th placed PNE with 27 points still to play for. That’s seven clubs right there that will vote continue plus Leeds, Fulham and the three relegated clubs. So that‘s 12 clubs nailed on to vote continue with only one more required for a majority. Sheff Wed and Birmingham are eight and nine points off the playoffs respectively and both have potential points deductions hanging over them, so can’t risk the season ending and them not being able to put more space between them and the bottom three. Garry Monk has literally come out today and said he wants to finish it the season.

We’re carrying on, absolutely no doubt about it. League One is where it will get tasty. That one could definitely go either way.

I think you’re wrong. There is no chance Leeds or West Brom will vote to carry on. They’d be crazy to gamble that amount of money on a ‘morality’ issue. They’ll take the promotion and move on without a second thought. Only Fulham of the play off pack may vote to carry on, the rest will realise falling out of the play offs is more likely than catching second.

I think you’re wrong. There is no chance Leeds or West Brom will vote to carry on. They’d be crazy to gamble that amount of money on a ‘morality’ issue. They’ll take the promotion and move on without a second thought. Only Fulham of the play off pack may vote to carry on, the rest will realise falling out of the play offs is more likely than catching second.

I think he's wrong annall but it could be closer than I originally intimated...the morality issue is a crazy word regarding Leeds intentions.

I'll now go 13-11 to jack it in.

PNE and Leeds have both confirmed today in their local press that they will be voting to play on. No reason from them to lie really. Marcelo Bielsa is a proper manager with proper morals.

It’s going to be a landslide.

PNE and Leeds have both confirmed today in their local press that they will be voting to play on. No reason from them to lie really. Marcelo Bielsa is a proper manager with proper morals.

Yep he just had a blip with spygate.

It’s a private vote. What they say in public will not necessarily transpire in that. As has been proven, money is the overwhelming driver in this industry.