Football, the equal opportunity sport | Page 7 | Vital Football

Football, the equal opportunity sport

So a few things from me.

Firstly, agree with the majority that there is no such thing as a "gay sport". Sports are just that, sports, and in a lot of cases are separated by gender because they need to be for legitimate reasons. I'd live to think if they didn't need to be then they wouldn't be.

Secondly, to the science. It is OK having a curiosity why there is over-representation of gay women in certain sports. Probably, the more interesting topic is the pure science....the biology. Wikipedia's definition is interesting...

The relationship between biology and sexual orientation is a subject of research. While scientists do not know the exact cause of sexual orientation, they theorise that it is caused by a complex interplay of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences. Hypotheses for the impact of the post-natal social environment on sexual orientation, however, are weak, especially for males.

Biological theories for explaining the causes of sexual orientation are favoured by scientists. These factors, which may be related to the development of a sexual orientation, include genes, the early uterine environment (such as prenatal hormones), and brain structure.

Now if you can get your head around that, you are perfectly entitled to look for the pattern in sport. That would be science project 2. I personally don't have that curiosity to educate myself deeper, because I just enjoy things as they are. I get that some do, but would hope it is not to justify why they don't want to watch it.

Lastly, to webpage coverage. You need to understand the concept of Land, Adopt, Expand to really get into that. Think of it as being in a supermarket and the least popular brand is at eye level but the most popular brand is next to your feet. How do you know if the least popular brand isn't really good and you can enjoy both from this point onwards in your life? How do you know if you never see it?

I don't know the stats, but I would guess that way more fans are visiting our website nowadays clicking through from the social media sites. It's the wrong way round to think that it is an inconvenience to the men-only fans having the women's stuff there. What is actually happening is that we are bringing a more inclusive and diverse range of people to the website. It will keep increasing. Now imagine if any one of those website visitors visit the Online Spurs Store and buy something. That is profit going straight to the bottom line and turning into transfer budgets and salaries. Bring it on.

A chance for the women to get back into the top 3 and a Champions League spot today.

Currently in 4th place a point behind Man U, they travel to bottom-placed Birmingham today. United are away to City in the Manchester derby.

Last season the women finished 8th with 20 points from 22 games. This season they already have 24 points from 13 games.

Three years ago they weren't even in the Super League.

The USA captains comments didn't read great !!
Unfair advantage I didn't say to my knowledge. Level playing field yes. It's a potential factor in women's football which could be proved wrong but the USA captain said it was Science. She should know.
I already stated my reasons for having no interest in women's football . I prefer using what little time I have at my disposal watching football of a high level. I accept not all female footballers are Lesbian but when 6 out of 11 in the team that wins the world cup are it raises questions. Then the captain makes controversial remarks. It makes me curious.
I have not watched any of the winter Olympics because its in China. I won't be watching the world Cup in Qatar because of the human rights issue and number of deaths involved in building the stadiums.
If there is an issue I question it sometimes in my head and sometimes openly. It provokes discussion.

Fair enough Nick. :thumbup:

So a few things from me.

Firstly, agree with the majority that there is no such thing as a "gay sport". Sports are just that, sports, and in a lot of cases are separated by gender because they need to be for legitimate reasons. I'd live to think if they didn't need to be then they wouldn't be.

Secondly, to the science. It is OK having a curiosity why there is over-representation of gay women in certain sports. Probably, the more interesting topic is the pure science....the biology. Wikipedia's definition is interesting...

The relationship between biology and sexual orientation is a subject of research. While scientists do not know the exact cause of sexual orientation, they theorise that it is caused by a complex interplay of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences. Hypotheses for the impact of the post-natal social environment on sexual orientation, however, are weak, especially for males.

Biological theories for explaining the causes of sexual orientation are favoured by scientists. These factors, which may be related to the development of a sexual orientation, include genes, the early uterine environment (such as prenatal hormones), and brain structure.

Now if you can get your head around that, you are perfectly entitled to look for the pattern in sport. That would be science project 2. I personally don't have that curiosity to educate myself deeper, because I just enjoy things as they are. I get that some do, but would hope it is not to justify why they don't want to watch it.

Lastly, to webpage coverage. You need to understand the concept of Land, Adopt, Expand to really get into that. Think of it as being in a supermarket and the least popular brand is at eye level but the most popular brand is next to your feet. How do you know if the least popular brand isn't really good and you can enjoy both from this point onwards in your life? How do you know if you never see it?

I don't know the stats, but I would guess that way more fans are visiting our website nowadays clicking through from the social media sites. It's the wrong way round to think that it is an inconvenience to the men-only fans having the women's stuff there. What is actually happening is that we are bringing a more inclusive and diverse range of people to the website. It will keep increasing. Now imagine if any one of those website visitors visit the Online Spurs Store and buy something. That is profit going straight to the bottom line and turning into transfer budgets and salaries. Bring it on.

I was only finding it irritating to have to sift through women's articles from my own perspective. That ones on me.

Despite 80s inference that the world has moved on from this. I don't agree. Women's sport is growing and becoming more commercial so will invariably attract more scrutiny.

I was only finding it irritating to have to sift through women's articles from my own perspective. That ones on me.

You're not the only person in my life that has mentioned it to be fair. I've heard it said about the bigger websites like BBC and Sky Sports. I've also heard people say that the alerts on their Phones or Watches get them interested, then they realise it is "just" the women's game. That annoys them.

You're not the only person in my life that has mentioned it to be fair. I've heard it said about the bigger websites like BBC and Sky Sports. I've also heard people say that the alerts on their Phones or Watches get them interested, then they realise it is "just" the women's game. That annoys them.
muttley, I have awful lot of respect for your views and I appreciate in your role as moderator what you are trying to do here. But this very quickly moved on from being a discussion about the merits of the women's team having a section on the website to blatantly derogatory remarks about gay men and women. They should have no place on here and other posters have every right to challenge them forcefully.

That's the last I'll say on it though.

Despite 80s inference that the world has moved on from this. I don't agree. Women's sport is growing and becoming more commercial so will invariably attract more scrutiny.

Maybe it's a North American perspective and the fact that I have been involved with amateur sport (mainly rugby and ski racing from a board level and also sponsorship) for years. I have watched the girls sides/competitors be as populated as the boys in hockey, soccer, ski racing, and rugby.

It is not strange to me at all. In fact in Canada, the government funding for women's sports is very easy to access.

Nobody gives it a second thought.

Maybe it's a North American perspective and the fact that I have been involved with amateur sport (mainly rugby and ski racing from a board level and also sponsorship) for years. I have watched the girls sides/competitors be as populated as the boys in hockey, soccer, ski racing, and rugby.

It is not strange to me at all. In fact in Canada, the government funding for women's sports is very easy to access.

At younger and lower levels it's not a debate. It's at senior elite level that a potential mix may or may not throw up questions.

muttley, I have awful lot of respect for your views and I appreciate in your role as moderator what you are trying to do here. But this very quickly moved on from being a discussion about the merits of the women's team having a section on the website to blatantly derogatory remarks about gay men and women. They should have no place on here and other posters have every right to challenge them forcefully.

That's the last I'll say on it though.

I'll have a scroll through to find the blatant derogatory remarks about gay men and women when I have time. I didn't intend any negative angle if that's how it came across.

At younger and lower levels it's not a debate. It's at senior elite level that a potential mix may or may not throw up questions.

They same debate happened at any age over 16-17 and amateur sport goes into people's 20s so we have been dealing with it for years. Also, women's adult elite sports have been amateur for much longer than they have been professional so we have processed all the things you are discussing and moved on.

As to the science, no one really cares.

Where the real future issues will emerge is in transexual situations and eligibilty for men's or women's categories. Will we have 3 categories or more?

They same debate happened at any age over 16-17 and amateur sport goes into people's 20s so we have been dealing with it for years. Also, women's adult elite sports have been amateur for much longer than they have been professional so we have processed all the things you are discussing and moved on.

As to the science, no one really cares.

Where the real future issues will emerge is in transexual situations and eligibilty for men's or women's categories. Will we have 3 categories or more?
You are right 80 and the debate has already started in some sports, I have no doubt it will be difficult to find a solution acceptable to all.

It's not strange on this side of the pond either. I'm originally from London & it's always been at the forefront for women's sport. It's no different over here on the Emerald Isle. It really isn't that uncommon to see girls not only training & playing hockey & soccer but also participating with the boys at an early age. It's good to see & i hope it continues as it will help develop a wider appreciation/audience in the future which can only be a good thing for all sports.

It's not strange on this side of the pond either. I'm originally from London & it's always been at the forefront for women's sport. It's no different over here on the Emerald Isle. It really isn't that uncommon to see girls not only training & playing hockey & soccer but also participating with the boys at an early age. It's good to see & i hope it continues as it will help develop a wider appreciation/audience in the future which can only be a good thing for all sports.
It's also very common in G.A.A. and Hurling SP.

You are right 80 and the debate has already started in some sports, I have no doubt it will be difficult to find a solution acceptable to all.
That situation is the same in all walks of life, but if you are say a bit negative in whatever the subject, today you are trodden on, called names etc, simple as that.

That situation is the same in all walks of life, but if you are say a bit negative in whatever the subject, today you are trodden on, called names etc, simple as that.

We all have to be cognizant of the fact that it is very difficult to have a decent discourse to explore ideas online. The problem is that comments are so public that someone who is hypersensitive will see what is written and react even if it is meant as the discussion of an idea.

Most sites don't want the liability that goes with allowing this kind of discussion.

You need to be around people you know aren't going to take it personally that don't agree with your views and are willing to actually talk about it and challenge their own ideas as well as yours. Very hard to find these days. And the media (and social media) has individuals that are hunting for people they can attack.

It is very frustrating as the internet was meant for the exchange of ideas not the suppression.