Football sponsorship | Vital Football

Football sponsorship

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
V

Villan Of The North

The English leagues (and others) are full of shirts sponsored by online gambling companies, causing a somewhat abmbivilant reaction. There is not doubt that, with the ever increasing costs of running a football club, sponsorship income is an important, if not vital, revenue stream but for many, myself included, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Driving to work, listening, as is my habit, to TalkSport radio, I heard an ad from Paddy Power, the Irish online betting giants, and they seem to be listening. Now whilst this is clearly a rarther cynical move, it shows, I believe, an acknowlegement of a changing attitude within the game, if only amonst the fans. Their new campaign is based on them sponsoring shirts and NOT having their name on the shirt. Thoughts?

Gambling is now becoming normalised amongst my son's generation in a way that was never the case with my peers. In my view there are far too many adverts for gambling on football TV and the money that gambling sponsorship brings into the game is a cynical attempt by the gambling companies to drum up more custom and add to the obscene amount of money they extract from the punters. The sooner these adverts and sponsorship join tobacco and alcohol advertising in the dustbin of history, the better.

Paddy Power's marketing department is top notch. They have got more publicity out of this stunt than they would have by putting their logo on the shirt.

One of the biggest addictions in football IS gambling so it seems madness that gambling firms are allowed to sponsor and advertise in and around them , as tmg has said its had an effect on our kids that dont think twice about gambling away half their earnings.
As for paddy power this whole ad campaign is full on scandalous ie the sash shirt .

I'd love to know how much Villa actually get from shirt sponsorship. I think it's far less than people think. Our owners could absorb it as randy did surely. Betting companies are the new tobacco or alcohol of the world and need to be curbed.
Where does it stop though, what next Burger King, McDonalds Cadbury KFC Walkers! all things that are addictive?

I'd love to know how much Villa actually get from shirt sponsorship. I think it's far less than people think. Our owners could absorb it as randy did surely. Betting companies are the new tobacco or alcohol of the world and need to be curbed.
Where does it stop though, what next Burger King, McDonalds Cadbury KFC Walkers! all things that are addictive?
Vital Villa? Facebook? Twitter? the list goes on.

When I watch football (Villa) on dodgy streams from the UK, I'm always shocked at the amount of gambling advertising. Ray Winstone must be making a fortune.

"The number of gamblers complaining about British betting firms has risen almost 5,000% in the past five years.

There were a record 8,266 complaints last year, Gambling Commission figures obtained by BBC Panorama. That compares to just 169 in 2013.

Most of them were about firms refusing to pay out on winning bets or failing to operate in a socially responsible way.

The rise follows a sharp increase in UK gambling over the past decade.

industry has expanded rapidly since the government relaxed
restrictions on betting and advertising in 2007.

Gamblers are now losing almost twice as much to the betting companies as they were a decade ago. Last year, punters lost a record £14.5bn. "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49284169

Gambling is now becoming normalised amongst my son's generation in a way that was never the case with my peers. In my view there are far too many adverts for gambling on football TV and the money that gambling sponsorship brings into the game is a cynical attempt by the gambling companies to drum up more custom and add to the obscene amount of money they extract from the punters. The sooner these adverts and sponsorship join tobacco and alcohol advertising in the dustbin of history, the better.
Bet you that doesn’t happen in the next five years