Football Manager 21 | Vital Football

Football Manager 21

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13556

I know this topic has been talked about before, but has anyone been playing the latest one? Absolutely loving it....
So far I am in my third season as manager of Chesterfield in the National League! This was one of three vacancies at the start of the game along with Derby County and Wigan Athletic! I don’t like taking over a club which already has a manager in place!
20-21 was a 4th place finish, losing in the play off semi final!
21-22 was a 3rd place finish, losing in the play off final! Won the FA Trophy!
22-23 currently 2nd at Christmas 2022!
Main reason for starting this thread was that Steve Evans has just been sacked as manager of Gillingham and I have been linked with the vacancy! Could the gills fans put up with Steve Evans at the club that long or the prospect of a non league manager taking over? Watch this space!!

I know this topic has been talked about before, but has anyone been playing the latest one? Absolutely loving it....
So far I am in my third season as manager of Chesterfield in the National League! This was one of three vacancies at the start of the game along with Derby County and Wigan Athletic! I don’t like taking over a club which already has a manager in place!
20-21 was a 4th place finish, losing in the play off semi final!
21-22 was a 3rd place finish, losing in the play off final! Won the FA Trophy!
22-23 currently 2nd at Christmas 2022!
Main reason for starting this thread was that Steve Evans has just been sacked as manager of Gillingham and I have been linked with the vacancy! Could the gills fans put up with Steve Evans at the club that long or the prospect of a non league manager taking over? Watch this space!!

You've got the job! 😊

Is Covid part of the game?

No but...

It isn't mentioned specifically but teams start with reduced budgets reflecting the financial impacts of covid and I think the crowds are nerfed a little bit with the developers working on the basis of clubs being allowed fans in on a social distance basis.

At Gillingham you have little starting budget and it is near impossible to sell anyone to raise funds as no one else has any spending money either.

And the 1st season is scheduled as in real life so the first season is really about trying to keep a track on fitness due to the constant Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday - Tuesday for most of the season with a lot less midweek breaks to rest. I found myself doing little training to improve players but to keep training light and focused on match preparation.

Still on FM17, I'm always a few years behind, funnily enough Brexit has just occurred on my current save.

Loaded down to tier 9 and started at Sheppey Utd, then moved to Hednesford after a season, two successive promotions later I'm getting soundly beaten in National League North, getting itchy feet again.

They included Brexit in the previous one.

Last season you'd be randomly assigned one of about a dozen variations of work permit situations. Sometimes you'd still be able to freely sign EU players, others had a cap on number of total foreigners.

This season everyone seems to have a "must have played at least x% of his nation's international fixtures" where the percentage depends on nationality. Really screws me up as I would arrange for a load of Swedes or Belgiums to join on Bosmans from January. Can't do that now.

Last season you'd be randomly assigned one of about a dozen variations of work permit situations. Sometimes you'd still be able to freely sign EU players, others had a cap on number of total foreigners.

This season everyone seems to have a "must have played at least x% of his nation's international fixtures" where the percentage depends on nationality. Really screws me up as I would arrange for a load of Swedes or Belgiums to join on Bosmans from January. Can't do that now.

If you'd known it was gonna fck up your game in this way, would you have considered voting Remain?

No but...

It isn't mentioned specifically but teams start with reduced budgets reflecting the financial impacts of covid and I think the crowds are nerfed a little bit with the developers working on the basis of clubs being allowed fans in on a social distance basis.

At Gillingham you have little starting budget and it is near impossible to sell anyone to raise funds as no one else has any spending money either.

And the 1st season is scheduled as in real life so the first season is really about trying to keep a track on fitness due to the constant Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday - Tuesday for most of the season with a lot less midweek breaks to rest. I found myself doing little training to improve players but to keep training light and focused on match preparation.

I set my squad up to do light training sessions between games in the first season, especially as i play a very attacking possession based style! I want my players to leave everything out on the pitch with the high intensity I want to play! After the first season can up training as more gaps between games!

If you'd known it was gonna fck up your game in this way, would you have considered voting Remain?

There were people during the campaign complaining that their teams such as Man City wouldn't be allowed to buy the top players anymore and that was a reason to vote remain. Even back then I knew there was a possibility that as Gillingham manager I might not have a 90% foreigner team after 2 seasons.

Have not played the new FM. Playing a lot of FIFA ultimate team with my 6 and 12 year olds (waiting for someone to tell me i shouldn't be doing this either). Quite enjoy the player trading part.

Teaching them about free market economies, buy cheap sell big, find under priced players etc. We've made a good bit of money so far in just a couple of weeks. My son is happy we've managed to buy some of the biggest name players that most of his friends have no chance of realistically getting - and we have a gillingham based squad too.

There were people during the campaign complaining that their teams such as Man City wouldn't be allowed to buy the top players anymore and that was a reason to vote remain. Even back then I knew there was a possibility that as Gillingham manager I might not have a 90% foreigner team after 2 seasons.

I remember hearing the argument that Brexit would help English football. Actually it was one of the best arguments for leaving the EU that I heard.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...megrown-english-football-talent-a3262991.html

Not that John Barnes was in favour of Brexit for the country as a whole. Can't help but agree with him about the immigration and racism issues, or that they were more important issues to consider than English football (or Football Manager 21!):
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/22/john-barnes-gove-says-voting-leave-wrong

Despite being linked to the vacancy at Gillingham, the new manager at Priestfield is Jonathan Woodgate!

I remember hearing the argument that Brexit would help English football. Actually it was one of the best arguments for leaving the EU that I heard.

The problem is that the players that would interest the top clubs would almost certainly be internationals that would qualify under visa rules. The Premier League would not have been affected and top British youths would still have foreign players ahead of them in the pecking order. Even post Brexit I would still largely expect the ratio of UK nationals v foreign nations to be similar. The only way England might benefit is if the Premier League adopted a "Maximum of 5 foreign players in matchday squad" which people would probably object to on xenophobic accusations.

The only teams that would be affected would be teams like Gillingham who would be banned from signing foreign players like Bertrand Bossu. Oh and Max Ehmer and possibly Zakuani.

Despite being linked to the vacancy at Gillingham, the new manager at Priestfield is Jonathan Woodgate!

No better than we’ve already got.

How realistic is this game? Has woodgate still got that permanent thigh injury he had for 10 years?