Football Echoes | Vital Football

Football Echoes

Imphistorian

Vital Reserves Team
We have been working on an update of the club official history for over a year now and I am looking to make contact with anyone who has copies of the Football Echo before August 1968 when my own collection begins. It doesn't matter whether its just a single copy or a short run of copies as its the information I'm looking for. I'm aware that this is a bit of a long shot but would be very grateful if anyone who can help could contact me using the messaging service on this site.

Thanks

Don't the echo, the club or the Lincolnshire archive have copies?

Last edited:
Have you tried The British Newspaper Archive website? They have copies of every Lincolnshire Echo going way back, including sports and Lincoln City match reports. I was using it last season to look up the match report when Lincoln had last played Arsenal in the 1914-15 season.
Not sure if it has The Sports Echo in particular though.
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Have you tried The British Newspaper Archive website? They have copies of every Lincolnshire Echo going way back, including sports and Lincoln City match reports. I was using it last season to look up the match report when Lincoln had last played Arsenal in the 1914-15 season.
Not sure if it has The Sports Echo in particular though.
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk
Very good resource, used it extensively academically and for personal use

I am aware of what is publicly available (I've been consulting the British Library newspaper collection on football related matters for over 30 years). Their collection of Sports/Football Echoes only runs from 1984 to 2006, while the collection in Lincoln Library starts after my run.

I know that copies sometimes come up on dealers' lists or for auction so some must be in the hands of Imps fans. However, even single copies are likely to be of some use to me.

We have been working on an update of the club official history for over a year now and I am looking to make contact with anyone who has copies of the Football Echo before August 1968 when my own collection begins. It doesn't matter whether its just a single copy or a short run of copies as its the information I'm looking for. I'm aware that this is a bit of a long shot but would be very grateful if anyone who can help could contact me using the messaging service on this site.

Thanks
Is this for a book?
Did the previous records not have pre 68 then?

Its an update of the Official History book we wrote in 1997. We have all (or nearly all) the first team information which was researched from both newspapers and the Football League ledgers. The Football Echoes have a certain amount of information unavailable elsewhere, for example, details of the reserve team, etc which is of interest to enable us to add to our existing knowledge.

Its an update of the Official History book we wrote in 1997. We have all (or nearly all) the first team information which was researched from both newspapers and the Football League ledgers. The Football Echoes have a certain amount of information unavailable elsewhere, for example, details of the reserve team, etc which is of interest to enable us to add to our existing knowledge.
U are the Nannesteads?

Thanks

I have visited The Echo library on many many occasion when it was located in St Benedicts Sq. Not sure if it moved with them with the move to Brayford or whether they were all placed in storage. Suggest an email to the editor.

In the early ‘80s I used to spend lunchtimes in the reference library on Free School Lane reading Football Echos of the 50s. They were original, full-size copies in bespoke binders. Even then, the staff were talking about micro-fiching them to recover the space. Did that ever happen?

I have a few old uns, 1947-48 (last match) and 1951-52 (last match and the week after). Here's a s ample from 1951-52 ... although it says "before today's matches", there were no more to be played.x52.jpg

Last edited:
This was from 1947-48. The final match produced 3 goals for Hutchinson and 2 for Lester which need to be added. The reserves had already completed their games.x48.jpg

My first season was 1946/47 season my dad used to take me to the games as we only lived about 200 yards from the ground.
We used to be in the railway end stand.
We used to go to both 1st team & reserve games.

My first season was 1946/47 season my dad used to take me to the games as we only lived about 200 yards from the ground.
We used to be in the railway end stand.
We used to go to both 1st team & reserve games.
So have you any papers?

Hi redimps i'm sorry to say I haven't I only wish I had, but at the time you never thought of keeping such things.