Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 34 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

As per PVB's comment, I'm just hoping we don't do it or we at least hold off until we have a palatable player announcement.

My main gripe with those quick to furlough is doing it whilst players/execs are on full pay and then not making up the additional 20%.

Just been listening to Chris Wilder. He was on about clubs all having to act together and individual clubs not going alone. I think he was referring to Eddie Howe taking a pay cut, for example. If so, my estimation of him has gone down.

The PL reckons it faces a financial penalty of £762 million if the season isn't completed. My heart bleeds for them. All it means is that Sky & Co cough up rather less, but still a substantial amount, if the season isn't completed. That should be manageable in any competently run club. It means clubs will have to spend less next season and maybe beyond. Could be a very good thing.

Can't see why this staff pay thing is so difficult. Each club can work out how much it would take for the players to cover the wages of those staff to be paid off and they cover it. Average weekly wage of a prem player is £60000 a week, I doubt they would take more than a 10% drop.

Just been listening to Chris Wilder. He was on about clubs all having to act together and individual clubs not going alone. I think he was referring to Eddie Howe taking a pay cut, for example. If so, my estimation of him has gone down.

The PL reckons it faces a financial penalty of £762 million if the season isn't completed. My heart bleeds for them. All it means is that Sky & Co cough up rather less, but still a substantial amount, if the season isn't completed. That should be manageable in any competently run club. It means clubs will have to spend less next season and maybe beyond. Could be a very good thing.
What's the basis of that 'penalty', who would they be liable to pay compensation to? I'd imagine given the extreme circumstances most of those commitments could be waived?

Obviously I can see how the PL would lose money, and certainly how Sky and BT will, but curious about the penalties, would the PL have to give money back to Sky etc?

I would say that this might act to correct the ridiculous transfer market we have, totally expect to see some sort of deflation going on, and guess what, clubs will probably have to utilise existing players from their youth teams a bit more. So not all bad.

Provided clubs have enough support to remain in business I actually cannot think of many bad things that coronavirus will inflict on football. It could serve as a pretty good correction for a market which has gone insane.

Kyle Walker faces disciplinary action from Manchester City after reportedly breaking lockdown rules by hosting a party involving two sex workers. Walker, 29, has apologised and urged people to "stay home, stay safe" during the coronavirus pandemic.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52175132

giphy.webp

Asia are experiencing a "second wave" in the growth of COVID-19 infections.
There is nothing to make one think that there might not be a "third, fourth, fifth, or even a sixth wave" of COVID-19 infections, maybe each getting weaker, not because the virus will become less virulent but, simply because there are less people to fall victim to it.
If this happens The only real way to beat this, or any subsequent pandemic's, will be by a co-ordinated worldwide effort.
Either way I think we should get used to the idea, that at the very least, the 2019-20 season is over and the 2020-21 season might be cancelled as well.

The solution is very simple, just raise income tax on the super rich to a reasonable level. I believe that the top 1% are in that category, so make sure that your tax inspection regime is as tight as a nun's chastity belt (the small numbers make this feasible). Make sure that Google and Amazon (et al) pay their fair share as well.

Make sure you get the partners of the big accountancy firms locked in - otherwise they spend time at her majesty's leisure and have significant assets stripped as a consequence of enabling tax avoidance.

What's the basis of that 'penalty', who would they be liable to pay compensation to? I'd imagine given the extreme circumstances most of those commitments could be waived?

I think they're being "creative" with the use of the word penalty. What they're actually talking about is that they're not going to receive as much money as they had expected to receive. They're not going to pay compensation to anybody.

It's no big deal. It's a lot worse, financially, being relegated than losing a bit of the Sky money.

The only way they could possibly not lose that bit would be if they played all the matches due this season and all the matches due in future. Which means compressed seasons and even more pressure on players due to number of matches than there are at present.

Asia are experiencing a "second wave" in the growth of COVID-19 infections.
There is nothing to make one think that there might not be a "third, fourth, fifth, or even a sixth wave" of COVID-19 infections, maybe each getting weaker, not because the virus will become less virulent but, simply because there are less people to fall victim to it.
If this happens The only real way to beat this, or any subsequent pandemic's, will be by a co-ordinated worldwide effort.
Either way I think we should get used to the idea, that at the very least, the 2019-20 season is over and the 2020-21 season might be cancelled as well.

Cheers for the good vibes 1958....after feeling bloody awful for two weeks you’ve cheered me up no end....:banana: