Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 36 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

Actually well said from the Daily Mail. The argument about how players shouldn’t take pay cuts because they pay tax is an utter disgraceful attempt to deflect from the situation. The government announced £350bn increase in fiscal spending to combat the situation immediately, and the PFA think £200m spread over 12 months is somehow the difference between life and death for the NHS at this time. I understand the point that come the transfer window clubs will undoubtedly be throwing money around but to try to make some moral justification for turning their back on any attempt to help is pathetic.

I’d also say if clubs really are struggling they should furlough the players and make an extra contribution back to the government or charities to offset the government funding. That would stick it to that awful man in charge of the PFA

Actually well said from the Daily Mail. The argument about how players shouldn’t take pay cuts because they pay tax is an utter disgraceful attempt to deflect from the situation. The government announced £350bn increase in fiscal spending to combat the situation immediately, and the PFA think £200m spread over 12 months is somehow the difference between life and death for the NHS at this time. I understand the point that come the transfer window clubs will undoubtedly be throwing money around but to try to make some moral justification for turning their back on any attempt to help is pathetic.

I’d also say if clubs really are struggling they should furlough the players and make an extra contribution back to the government or charities to offset the government funding. That would stick it to that awful man in charge of the PFA
What is really galling david is that they actually put that £200m bit into print.
It is so obvious that they are somehow trying to make themselves look virtious, and what is even worse is that they thought that it would be accepted in the real world out here.
Dispicable way to act and that cretin Gordon Taylor should resign.

There are two ways of doing pay cuts. Take a player who earns say £2m per year. Probably loses half of that in deductions, so net pay is £1m per year.

a) pay him as normal, but he gives back %30 of his net salary. So Gov gets the same, cost to the club is the same, but he now gets £700k p.a. net, with £300k going to good causes or whatever.

b) Knock 30% off his basic pay, ie £600k, leaving him with £1.4m basic pay. Gov gets half, £700k, so his net pay is £700k again. Club saves £600k, other good causes get 0.

Depends what one's trying to achieve. If it's to help the club finances, including help with paying non-playing staff, then (b) is better. If it's to directly finance good causes, then (a) is better, although good causes could include helping non-playing staff.

Maybe ideal would be:

c) Same as (b), except player forks out another £200k for good causes, leaving himself with a "meagre" £500k p.a. to live on.

if (c) doesn't run, (b) is still the best way of helping the club and it's obligations. But the club would have no good excuse for furloughing staff; The Gov is already losing £300k, expecting it to cover non-playing staff on top would be a bit much.

I have been watching loads of games from the 60s and 70s on YouTube, fantastic blood and guts stuff, tackles flying in, no rolling around like a pansy, great atmosphere. I don't care how much fitter modern day footballers are.

I have been watching loads of games from the 60s and 70s on YouTube, fantastic blood and guts stuff, tackles flying in, no rolling around like a pansy, great atmosphere. I don't care how much fitter modern day footballers are.

Proper football in those days on and off the pitch.

Liverpool have backtracked on their furlough decision, damage already done though imo and they’ve only done it because of the bad PR no doubt about it.