Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 32 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

Stupid question but why aren't premier league clubs furloughing the players ? They can afford to pay the players yet are seeking government hand outs for the non playing staff ??
On the contrary, it's a very good question. It's difficult to answer without seeing the players' contracts but presumably it would be a breach of contract, the better players would be able to walk away on a free and the less able ones to insist upon their contracts being fulfilled.

Last edited:
Could be the players don't actually work for the clubs, but for companies set up by agents. We don't know how it works. I very much doubt they are Paye and paying tax like we all think they are??

Stupid question but why aren't premier league clubs furloughing the players ? They can afford to pay the players yet are seeking government hand outs for the non playing staff ??
Thought the furlough only covered up to £2,500 a month, so virtually nothing compared to the hundreds of thousands they would normally get and we all know players hold all the cards in these things really. Also it’s supposed to protect employees from being made redundant and I don’t think any PL clubs could genuinely argue that would be a real possibility

Yes, been discussing it in the other clubs thread. If any club puts players as an exception when furloughing staff who can ill afford to take wage cuts, they should be ashamed.

And as per the link above, players could take the initiative as well, but doubt many/any would.

Why are they any different to any other staff within this industry?

Society is sick the way celebs are now worshipped as demi Gods.

IF Villa have to do this to staff, I hope they have the good grace to do it to players as well.

If not I will be questioning whether I want to continue going to be honest, a question already in my mind with the way that pillock has behaved this week and how some fans are rallying around him sticking up for his selfish **** actions.

Thought the furlough only covered up to £2,500 a month, so virtually nothing compared to the hundreds of thousands they would normally get and we all know players hold all the cards in these things really. Also it’s supposed to protect employees from being made redundant and I don’t think any PL clubs could genuinely argue that would be a real possibility

Yes, get that point, totally. God forbid they use some of their own wealth (and good luck to them, they are only taking the ridiculous wages they are allowed to, I would take exactly the same if offered, no jealousy at all here) instead of leaching whilst those who can't afford to, take cuts.

And they could all be at risk, if this industry keeps suspending football, and has to keep paying these sky high salaries. It doesn't take long for cashflow to run out, especially if Sky/BT/Foreign tv companies want some money back for games not played.

Could be the players don't actually work for the clubs, but for companies set up by agents. We don't know how it works. I very much doubt they are Paye and paying tax like we all think they are??
Yes, I did wonder whether they counted as self-employed/contractors and therefore not technically employees of the clubs - the clubs hold their playing registrations to prevent them just upping and playing wherever they want, but otherwise, they are free to sell their image rights, do commercial endorsement stuff, etc. independent of the club.

Otherwise, they should be told they have to live on £2500 per month, which is still more than millions in this country.

Pretty sure the wages portion of their income is subject to PAYE as they would be breaking the criteria for being employees are self employed else. I think the other income from boot deals , image rights etc would be channelled through a limited company or similar.

Pretty sure the wages portion of their income is subject to PAYE as they would be breaking the criteria for being employees or self employed else. I think the other income from boot deals , image rights etc would be channelled through a limited company or similar.
In that case they should definitely be furloughed, like most others!

Last edited by a moderator:
And they could all be at risk, if this industry keeps suspending football, and has to keep paying these sky high salaries. It doesn't take long for cashflow to run out, especially if Sky/BT/Foreign tv companies want some money back for games not played.
And we are all asking Sky and BT to suspend our subscriptions so they are not getting the money from us and I am sure that the advertisers are wanting some recompense as well from Sky. It was all built on sand and now the folly of that is coming home.

Pretty sure the wages portion of their income is subject to PAYE as they would be breaking the criteria for being employees are self employed else. I think the other income from boot deals , image rights etc would be channelled through a limited company or similar.
That's exactly my understanding SirDen.

And we are all asking Sky and BT to suspend our subscriptions so they are not getting the money from us and I am sure that the advertisers are wanting some recompense as well from Sky. It was all built on sand and now the folly of that is coming home.

Yes, totally right. Worrying when you are involved in the industry, I guess the same as any, if there isn't a product available, it is going to crumble.

I'm saying nothing ;)

I get there are exceptions like younger players only just on decent contracts but it's fairly straight forward to me.

Any premier league footballer can not take a penny more until when it all starts up again and STILL be living with means beyond most peoples wildest dreams.

Donate it to the non playing staff , donate it to the NHS, homeless etc etc.....But ffs don't take a hundred grand a week for doing naff all for 5 months when others are losing their jobs, pay and lives .

Staggered that not one of them has offered (to my knowledge anyway).

Last edited:
All Champions League and Europa League matches have been suspended "until further notice" by Uefa because of the global coronavirus pandemic.

All national team games in June have also been postponed, including play-off matches for Euro 2020 - already postponed to 2021 - and qualifying matches for the Women's Euro 2021.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

Absolute cock....

Former Arsenal and West Ham midfielder Alex Song has taken his case to FIFA following his sacking by FC Sion.
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11965405/sacked-song-claims-unfair-dismissal

In this instance, it does sound a bit out of order by the club. I’m pretty sure if the club consulted with the players it would’ve been agreed in some form, because the players can’t go and pick up a new contract easily at the moment so they’d have to agree to something.

All Champions League and Europa League matches have been suspended "until further notice" by Uefa because of the global coronavirus pandemic.

All national team games in June have also been postponed, including play-off matches for Euro 2020 - already postponed to 2021 - and qualifying matches for the Women's Euro 2021.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

I know the will is there to complete the season , but as time goes by I can't see how .