Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 218 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

Can we have chicken baltis instead of pizza please.

No.

That is not the topic you are looking for,

200w.gif

Really don't know what to think.

Can't wait to go to a game again , but I hate the whole "I'm a better fan" thing and giving long term season ticket holders priority in a ballot does sit uncomfortably with me.

The one thing that I think will happen is that those that get picked for the Chelsea game will be excluded from the next ballot.

Not sure you can find a way that will be fair to everybody , so if it means being able to go to one in 3 games for the time being so be it.

I just don’t get why it should be made over complicated by selecting groups within ST holders.

What makes a 50 year old more loyal than 20 year old just because they happen to have been born 30 years earlier thereby having an opportunity to build up more years to hold a ST. Hugely over complicating it in my humble.
Just group ST holders together and then follow with grouping ‘members’ together If need be.

Last edited:
I just don’t get why it should be made over complicated by selecting groups within ST holders.

What makes a 50 year old more loyal than 20 year old just because they happen to have been born 30 years earlier thereby having an opportunity to build up more years to hold a ST. Hugely over complicating it in my humble.
Just group ST holders together and then follow with grouping ‘members’ together If need be.

I will have to be careful about who I disclose on my booking history then. Don't want to be grouped with any old fan. !!

It's life mate, that's why a bloke with 30 years of service at a company gets more redundancy pay off than a bloke with 10 years even though they have both been with that company since they left school. (I've been there )
One day that bloke with 10 years of service will have 30 years of service.

It's not "fair" but life is not fair.

Why should old people get a vaccine before the younger ones just because they were born first? They also get to die first, it's life. Nothing is fair but you have to accept age and service will always take preference otherwise you'd have 16-year-olds trying to run the world , oh hang on!

I will have to be careful about who I disclose on my booking history then. Don't want to be grouped with any old fan. !!

To be honest mate I see people like yourself who go home and away and organise your life around Aston Villa as a far more important fan than me who just does home game and so on and so forth.
Yes I did that at 18 or 21 but so do a lot of people, dong it in your 50's with a family and the commitments you have deserves a bloody medal never mind a ticket

It's life mate, that's why a bloke with 30 years of service at a company gets more redundancy pay off than a bloke with 10 years even though they have both been with that company since they left school. (I've been there )

Why should old people get a vaccine before the younger ones just because they were born first? They also get to die first, it's life. Nothing is fair but you have to accept age and service will always take preference otherwise you'd have 16-year-olds trying to run the world , oh hang on!

I get what you're saying about service 57 but the flip side of that is that in this situation we're customers not employees, so I don't think that analogy quite stacks up.

We all pay money to be season ticket holders - and that's where that argument starts to fall away a bit. If you group based on age alone, where does it stop?

In the middle of a global pandemic surely there's an argument for the younger, less at risk people to return first? And what is loyalty anyway? To one person it's years of service, to another it's the people who spend the most money. Should the people in the Trinity get to go back first as their tickets cost more?

I'm asking these questions just in jest mate, because to me it shows how arbitrary and pointless trying to create groups between season ticket holders is. The reality is that we all only pay for one season at a time anyway.

I get what you're saying about service 57 but the flip side of that is that in this situation we're customers not employees, so I don't think that analogy quite stacks up.

We all pay money to be season ticket holders - and that's where that argument starts to fall away a bit. If you group based on age alone, where does it stop?

In the middle of a global pandemic surely there's an argument for the younger, less at risk people to return first? And what is loyalty anyway? To one person it's years of service, to another it's the people who spend the most money. Should the people in the Trinity get to go back first as their tickets cost more?

I'm asking these questions just in jest mate, because to me it shows how arbitrary and pointless trying to create groups between season ticket holders is. The reality is that we all only pay for one season at a time anyway.

I get it mate but just like cup final tickets, there has to be a set way of doing it, which in turn will upset those who miss out.
Personally, I don't think I'll bother trying for the one-off ballot, I'd rather wait until we are all back.

To be honest mate I see people like yourself who go home and away and organise your life around Aston Villa as a far more important fan than me who just does home game and so on and so forth.
Yes I did that at 18 or 21 but so do a lot of people, dong it in your 50's with a family and the commitments you have deserves a bloody medal never mind a ticket
sorry but i 100% disagree . Not everyone has the luxury of being able to go to every game unfortuantely, life isn't that simple for everyone. Does that make them less important - not in my opinion.
Someone who goes to 10 games a season is still a customer and deserves a fair crack at any ballot etc even if they are entered into the ballot with less % chance of winning than a ST holder say.

I didn't realise rewarding valued customers (in any business) was such a controversial idea. Goodness me!

On what criteria is a valued customer of AVFC based ?. Season ticket holder length alone ?. I maybe a season ticket holder of 14 years but I don’t spend anything else there. Don‘t buy a programme, food, merchandise . So am i a more valued customer than someone who spends the same on a season ticket who has only done so for 5 years but buys a kit every season, buys a programme every game and has food and drink every game ?. Or because they spend more than me are they a more valued customer .

Very difficult in my mind to start generically calling football fans customers as it’s such a different service being provided , not entirely but certainly in the main thing we are there for i.e on pitch matters which as we know the product can certainly not be described as what is expected . But hey ho that’s what happens in a world where hospital patients are actually now ‘clients’.

Not really getting this comparison tbh.
Especially the vaccine bit. Older people are more likely to die from covid so they are vaccinated first . If teenagers were more likely to die from covid they would be the priority. It just the quirk of the disease, nothing to do their seniority on this planet per se.

On what criteria is a valued customer of AVFC based ?. Season ticket holder length alone ?. I maybe a season ticket holder of 14 years but I don’t spend anything else there. Don‘t buy a programme, food, merchandise . So am i a more valued customer than someone who spends the same on a season ticket who has only done so for 5 years but buys a kit every season, buys a programme every game and has food and drink every game ?. Or because they spend more than me are they a more valued customer .

Very difficult in my mind to start generically calling football fans customers as it’s such a different service being provided , not entirely but certainly in the main thing we are there for i.e on pitch matters which as we know the product can certainly not be described as what is expected . But hey ho that’s what happens in a world where hospital patients are actually now ‘clients’.

Not spend for me as that's relative to income, commitment so that's length.

You put in what you can reasonably afford prior to knowing how a season will pan out. You are there for the sake of it, nothing else.

It is difficult, but it's the single fairest denominator without grilling every single fan we have to find out if they had a bad year and couldn't cough up up front, how alcoholic are they, how obsessed with chips and programmes are they etc.

Is you club shop spend manly kit, or do you buy stuff for your partner to celebrate wins and so on.

Yep. The second paragraph in particular. Making a division where there isn’t a need for one. Just put all ST holders that want to be included into a ballot. I’m not sure many, if at all any, would complain , would they ?.

sorry but i 100% disagree . Not everyone has the luxury of being able to go to every game unfortuantely, life isn't that simple for everyone. Does that make them less important - not in my opinion.
Someone who goes to 10 games a season is still a customer and deserves a fair crack at any ballot etc even if they are entered into the ballot with less % chance of winning than a ST holder say.

Nope sorry but with football, I'm not saying anyone is less important, just that when I couldn't get a cup final ticket because I hadn't been to enough games I accepted that some fans had been to every game and I hadn't.
The reasons you can't go are normally you can't afford the cost or the time to go.
As a customer, the club will see a ST holder as far more important than a once a season fan ,
It's as simple as that.

Yep. The second paragraph in particular. Making a division where there isn’t a need for one. Just put all ST holders that want to be included into a ballot. I’m not sure many, if at all any, would complain , would they ?.

Sounds fair to me. TBH if I wasn't a ST holder I wouldn't even expect to be in any ballots why would I. Just because I've been a fan 53 years doesn't give me rights over a bloke who puts his money into the business every season regardless of the product quality.
10,000 new season ticket holder because we got promoted shows how fickle some fans are, but that is another story.