Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 215 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

I was wondering yesterday about fans going back and what clubs will do to recoupe the money they have lost at the turnstiles . Will there be a price hike for instance? Will STs jump to £1000 from £500 . Will people even go back now they have found they can watch in other ways for next to nothing .

I want to go back but after a year where I realise the cost of it, I bet there are people out there who have had hard times this last year won't be willing to shell out £40 for one game after paying £20 a month for most games.

Some people are financially better off financially because of Covid but there will be loads of unemployed people after all this ends , people who have been made redundant, people on 80% , people who are not going to be getting what they were before the pandemic.

I think football has to be very careful when it reopens to the fans

Yes, I guess for every fan who might think they've broken the habit, or realised it isn't as important to them, there will be more bursting to get back to 'normality' but I do agree, football might well now need to be a bit more respectful of the fans and considerate because - as I have long argued (at top levels at times as well) we are a major part of the 'product' being sold worldwide. Sure as hell hasn't been the same without fans, especially some of the slightly duller games that needed fans to lift the whole thing.

Can't see normality in the near future; I think the best they can do is 25% capacity. And no fans going to away games. So the options open to fans could be something like paying out for 1 in every 4 home games (or more depending on the numbers interested). Hopefully the games would be on the box as well.

Yes, I guess for every fan who might think they've broken the habit, or realised it isn't as important to them, there will be more bursting to get back to 'normality' but I do agree, football might well now need to be a bit more respectful of the fans and considerate because - as I have long argued (at top levels at times as well) we are a major part of the 'product' being sold worldwide. Sure as hell hasn't been the same without fans, especially some of the slightly duller games that needed fans to lift the whole thing.
The main thing that clubs, PL and FA have learned over the years is that, no matter how much we fans are sidelined and taken for granted, we keep coming back. Football is not a business in the usual sense. How else can you explain 3,000 Newcastle fans travelling to London on a Sunday evening to watch a game that's live on TV? They know we are addicted mugs and exploit it.

The main thing that clubs, PL and FA have learned over the years is that, no matter how much we fans are sidelined and taken for granted, we keep coming back. Football is not a business in the usual sense. How else can you explain 3,000 Newcastle fans travelling to London on a Sunday evening to watch a game that's live on TV? They know we are addicted mugs and exploit it.

Yup. Sad but true.

But they now have a perfect illustration of what their product is without us.

I have this feeling it will be restricted next season and we won't get our normal seats. In which case it may be time for me to call it a day. I really do have a brilliant seat, if I have to sit with Fear in corporate I'd be gutted but not as gutted as him

Bit of talk about covid passports and experiments to return to stadiums (and other live events)

Got an FCG next week, think a brief talk on the possible proposed return for pL for the final game of the season is bound to be part of it. For us, Chelsea.

For me, I don't see the point, too many of us will be disappointed as only 10 000 would be able to go, we aren't all through the vaccinations yet, Europe is seeing a big spike and a lot of it is in lockdown again (one for the covid thread in off topic) and really, now we have 'survived' not going all this season, I personally would rather no one back until all back, next season. IF indeed, that is what is going to be possible. It isn't a given.

Thoughts?

Yes, I can't see the point of doing it for the last game/couple of games as has been mentioned. Just get the vaccinations done, use some of the summer events (e.g. ODIs, T20s, etc.) as testing grounds for mass events and be in a position to allow far more people in come August when the new season starts.

Agree forget this season but I think they will want to use that last game as a trial and will do.
Then comes the more emotive part about who can attend and what the criteria will be and this is 2 fold, the Covid angle then the Villa fan statue criteria side

Think the club(s) will be on a hiding to nothing, because if you can only let in 10 000, there are going to be SO many fans disappointed.

And if you say a ballet, season ticket holders only - you will get fans feeling excluded who would maybe like to be season ticket holders but can't afford to/can't be due to work but still attend as many as they can and on it will go.

Well to my mind it is all to do with what the plans are for the new season in August. If the intention is to have full houses then I see little point in doing 10,000 for the Chelsea game , not only because of the logistics involved and the fact that you can't have a method of selecting fans that will be fair to everybody , but because it would be a pointless exercise.

If , however, they are going to restrict the crowds in August (And I suppose no one will know until much nearer the time) then fine , do it as a trial run.

Think the club(s) will be on a hiding to nothing, because if you can only let in 10 000, there are going to be SO many fans disappointed.

And if you say a ballet, season ticket holders only - you will get fans feeling excluded who would maybe like to be season ticket holders but can't afford to/can't be due to work but still attend as many as they can and on it will go.
Then there are those of us who had ST for years then had to dip out due to work etc now sat on a waiting list. It's a can of worms waiting to be opened

For my penny.

I don't see the point for one game given the logistics, but like Den, IF it's a true trial run for next season, then go longest serving ST holders first- I don't see a fairer way and even that would disappoint some.