Football and Covid | Page 2 | Vital Football

Football and Covid

I get your point in regards the moral aspect and I agree. But if it generates a massive amount of money to tackle the economic cost of this and would have a minimal impact on the date the rest of us would receive a jab it maybe an acceptable compromise, as ultimately I think everyone will have to chip in to cover the cost regardless of whether a person is rich or poor. Regardless it would be a tough sell.
I too can see your point, but I can't really ever see the money going to the NHS or much of it anyway once the "middlemen" have had their various cuts.(Like the £350m extra the NHS was going to get each week)
There would also be a public outcry at what would be seen as the privileged having another advantage over ordinary people. It's possibly a reasonable idea in principle if it would help the NHS, but I think the negatives outweigh the positives.

Agree with your comments re the so called 'essential retailers' being out of control & should be reviewed but your last paragraph it's not so much the less likelihood of virus spreading it's the resources on testing & medical staff that could be put to far far better use...not to mention the totally mixed messages they send out with their behaviours on the pitch with goal celebrations, the indiscretions on meeting up outside & the privileged 'jolly boys' Dubai trips while whole of country is in effect National Lockdown ( I know it's only 1 club at min but no doubt other teams had plans).
As I said earlier I'm sure Clubs could offer their medical staff, their facilities & their time to helping out with the vaccine roll out...be a good bit of PR rather than their usual self interest & fantasy bubble they live in.

I take your point Jock and agree that any help to get the vaccine rolled out would be great, but according to the info I have seen it is not a staffing problem that is anticipated it is more likely to be one of production and distribution.

As far as testing is concerned I believe that this is being done by the clubs medical staff and not putting any undue pressure on outside sources, NHS or Doctors and at present there are more than enough tests available for everyone with no one having problems obtaining a test.

Bristol have offered their facilities as an innoculation centre which will be used for the local area and I believe that several other clubs offered the same and have been told that they will be considered for further use.

Interesting comments from Prof Chris Witty on TV this morning regarding football being played, seems to be of the opinion that it would have little effect on transmission but has a good effect on morale.
TB did he not also say: " Every person that has unnecessary contact with another one increases the rate of transmission. " Sounds a bit contradictory on his part to me, although I do get the bit about morale.

TB did he not also say: " Every person that has unnecessary contact with another one increases the rate of transmission. " Sounds a bit contradictory on his part to me, although I do get the bit about morale.

He did but he also qualified that by mentioning it was a minority who were also under a closely controlled testing regime and that the likelihood of transmission into the general public was low.

I would be far more worried if I were him about the scenes of the crowds lining the route to the stadium at Marine yesterday as MiW has mentioned. In my opinion that is were the problems would occur.

Def bit contradictory DudeS, I think it's now the norm that we seem to get a fair few mixed messages from the government these days.

He did but he also qualified that by mentioning it was a minority who were also under a closely controlled testing regime and that the likelihood of transmission into the general public was low.

I would be far more worried if I were him about the scenes of the crowds lining the route to the stadium at Marine yesterday as MiW has mentioned. In my opinion that is were the problems would occur.

If there was NO football then said crowds wouldn't gather or have that excuse. As much as I love my football I don't get what benefits we gain having it played in the current conditions.
On your other point re Bristol Rovers stadium being used for vaccine roll out - just seen it on BBC news n was good to see. How nice would it be alot more were used ( if needed) with the stadium staff giving useful assistance - would be good publicity for football rather than the usual negative ones.

As for his comment, ( which I hadn't seen ), ' it was a minority who were also under a closely controlled testing regime and that the likelihood of transmission into the general public was low.' How can he possibly say with any degree of certainty what other members of their households will do? Just look at the Chorley footage from the dressing room after the match: 40+ celebrating with not a mask in sight. Fully understandable, but also, so very wrong as well.

It's just my opinion TB for what it's worth.

Last edited:
If there was NO football then said crowds wouldn't gather or have that excuse. As much as I love my football I don't get what benefits we gain having it played in the current conditions.
On your other point re Bristol Rovers stadium being used for vaccine roll out - just seen it on BBC news n was good to see. How nice would it be alot more were used ( if needed) with the stadium staff giving useful assistance - would be good publicity for football rather than the usual negative ones.

I agree with you about Bristol Rovers and as I said other clubs have made the offer but as there is only a limited supply of the vaccine they are not needed at present.

As far as your other point goes people are ignoring the rules for many other reasons, including protesting about the lock down, so no doubt if football was stopped it would stop them lining the route to the ground but given that they have broken the rules for one thing they would probably be of the same opinion and break the rules for something else. My point being that if someone is going to ignore the regulations they will look for any excuse to do it and it just happened that yesterday it was for a football match, but as far as I know it doesn't happen at all games.

It would be sad for so many people who obey the rules to have, what is probably their only bit of pleasure, ruined by the few rule breakers who would probably have broken the rules anyway.

As for his comment ( which I hadn't seen ) ' it was a minority who were also under a closely controlled testing regime and that the likelihood of transmission into the general public was low.' How can he possibly say with any degree of certainty what other members of their households will do. Just look at the Chorley footage from the dressing room after the match. 40+ celebrating with no mask in sight. Fully understandable, but also so very wrong as well.

It's just my opinion TB for what it's worth.

I respect your opinion mate and to be perfectly honest agree that the dressing room scenes were poor but because that happened once doesn't mean that happens in every dressing room. I strongly suspect that the scenes from the Derby dressing room were not the same.

Let’s not forget the availability or lack of availability of ambulances. It’s mandated these are present at games along with paramedics. In some areas it’s reported the public can’t actually get one when it’s needed, so to have them sat at football grounds ‘just in case’ isn’t an appropriate use of resources given the current pressures I’d argue. I get the league pays for them, but taking them away from the front line is the issue.

I respect your opinion mate and to be perfectly honest agree that the dressing room scenes were poor but because that happened once doesn't mean that happens in every dressing room. I strongly suspect that the scenes from the Derby dressing room were not the same.

Imo the scenes from the Derby dressing room will very much NOT be in the minority...Old firm match last weekend, I've no doubt behind closed doors in the dressing room at Ibrox there will have been joyful scenes, hugging, dancing etc after the win over Celtic, no doubt same at Southamptons win over Liverpool, similar Scotlands Euro's qualifications to name but only a few. As I've said before footballers etc just see themselves in this pampered bubble & that normal rules don't apply to them.

Let’s not forget the availability or lack of availability of ambulances. It’s mandated these are present at games along with paramedics. In some areas it’s reported the public can’t actually get one when it’s needed, so to have them sat at football grounds ‘just in case’ isn’t an appropriate use of resources given the current pressures I’d argue. I get the league pays for them, but taking them away from the front line is the issue.

👏👏, just another reason for football to be stop...it's not like its just one or two reasons tho n I guess ££££ talks

Another example of football taking advantage of the privileges they are allowed and then falling foul of them. I’m not quite sure how that trip given the current situation was necessary and to then have so many people isolating as a result is embarrassing. If football in general, it’s clubs and players can’t be trusted to act responsibly and sensibly then the government should intervene and treat them like the rest of the population.

Another example of football taking advantage of the privileges they are allowed and then falling foul of them. I’m not quite sure how that trip given the current situation was necessary and to then have so many people isolating as a result is embarrassing. If football in general, it’s clubs and players can’t be trusted to act responsibly and sensibly then the government should intervene and treat them like the rest of the population.

They were given the ok for the trip by the sfa prior to heavier restrictions but also while they were so many game played behind in the league & even a league match was postponed to enable the trip. Added to that are the numerous photos doing the rounds of players in close contact & little social distancing or masks being worn. I mean even 1 of the squad was injured so imo no need for them to go but why miss out on a jolly boys trip. Football / footballers just don't seem to get it it would seem!!

They were given the ok for the trip by the sfa prior to heavier restrictions but also while they were so many game played behind in the league & even a league match was postponed to enable the trip. Added to that are the numerous photos doing the rounds of players in close contact & little social distancing or masks being worn. I mean even 1 of the squad was injured so imo no need for them to go but why miss out on a jolly boys trip. Football / footballers just don't seem to get it it would seem!!
And the 1 who was injured who went is the positive case - stupid doesn't come close

And the 1 who was injured who went is the positive case - stupid doesn't come close

Just change the name of Celtic to any other club n you'd get the same disregard. Mind you the way the relevant associations treat their 'big' clubs they act without a care or sense of moral responsibility.

Just change the name of Celtic to any other club n you'd get the same disregard. Mind you the way the relevant associations treat their 'big' clubs they act without a care or sense of moral responsibility.

Celtic's controversial trip to Dubai was "clearly... a mistake" and one for which they "profoundly apologise", says chief executive Peter Lawwell.

"This horrific pandemic has affected the whole of society. It's affected people here in Scotland, it's affected our supporters, it's affected our football and it's affected our club - probably our club more than any."

I dont think so !!!!