Fleetwood Mac, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Free, Mothers/Erdington | Vital Football

Fleetwood Mac, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Free, Mothers/Erdington

glensider

Vital Football Legend
Hey, fellow old time rock n'rollers on here. I need your help. Long shot I know, but its worth a try.

I was approached back in September to contribute towards a book being put together regarding the best club in Britain (John Peel said so!!!) back in the late sixties/early seventies, Mothers in Erdington.

Four concerts in particular I personally am focusing on, and I wonder whether any of you fellow golden oldies were also at the gigs and can offer any thoughts or memories regarding these particular four concerts.

I've completed my own observations, but before I submit them, I just had the thought that one or two of you guys might have been there also (Thomas Holte, Pride of Lions, etc etc.)

The four gigs are:-

Fleetwood Mac (John Peel was the show presenter) on the 23rd February '69 (it was a Sunday night). It was of course the original Fleetwood Mac, the better Fleetwood Mac, Pete Green, Jeremy Spencer, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie (no Christine Perfect/McVie - she hadn't quit Chicken Shack yet).

The Who - March 1st 1969 (it was a Saturday). Keith Moon wore his pirate outfit. (it cost us six bob to get in!!!!!!)

Zeppelin later that same month, the 29th, a Saturday night - brought the house down, first time most of us had seen 'em live. They did a lot of stuff that was to appear on Led Zeppelin II, which was released later that year.

And finally, the Free concert of May that year, a Friday night, the 16th.

It was pre 'Alright Now'.

Paul Rodgers and co opened with 'Walk In My Shadow', and closed the concert with 'The Hunter', tracks from Tons of Sobs', their debut album released earlier that year.

Well, was anyone else present at those concerts? Anyone able to contribute anything, for which I am told, their thoughts will be acknowledged in print.

Thanks chaps. Keep On Rocking In The Free World.

Sorry Glensider, Ican't help. Mothers closed just before I was getting into my stride. I do remember trying to get in (with a couple of my pals) but we were turned away.... we were only 14 - going on 15, so I missed these wonderful bands and Mothers by a couple of years, sadly.

Sorry Kev, Like Pride I was only around 15 and was more interested in going to all the Reggae & Ska, Skinhead discos on our Lambretta scooters! I think we used to go to the Yenton and Bromford Bridge? etc

As I got older I started to use the clubs in town from the Locarno - Rebecca's - rum Runner - Rainbow Suite - Barbarella's etc.

Here is a wonderful link that may be of help and some of the names of the venues and people will trigger and bring those memories flooding back. I'm so glad I was around and growing up in Brum in those days...It was a ball!

http://www.retrowow.co.uk/retro_britain/town_centres/birmingham_60s.html

EDIT: Also click on the links for the other decades (70's for me ) to be amazed at the fun we had!

Thomas Holte - 29/12/2012 11:14

Sorry Kev, Like Pride I was only around 15 and was more interested in going to all the Reggae & Ska, Skinhead discos on our Lambretta scooters! I think we used to go to the Yenton and Bromford Bridge? etc

As I got older I started to use the clubs in town from the Locarno - Rebecca's - rum Runner - Rainbow Suite - Barbarella's etc.

Here is a wonderful link that may be of help and some of the names of the venues and people will trigger and bring those memories flooding back. I'm so glad I was around and growing up in Brum in those days...It was a ball!

EDIT: Also click on the links for the other decades (70's for me ) to be amazed at the fun we had!

Ah, the good old Rum Runner.... cracking place.... Duran, Duran of course...
I used Sloopys on the corner of Corporation Street and.... can't remember, but opposite the old Harry Parkes sport shop. Then there was - and still is the Elbow Room.....

Good old days....

The Fear - 29/12/2012 09:40

I'd just been born! But sounds like a great set of concerts, most jealous!

:43: :43: :43: Judging by your musical tastes Jonathan, as detailed in the 'What Album' thread, that you would have been a member of 'Mothers' can be taken as given

:35:

The Fear - 29/12/2012 09:40

I'd just been born! But sounds like a great set of concerts, most jealous!

The list of bands that appeared at Mothers Jonathan, reads like a roll call of British rock.

As you probably know, Pink Floyd recorded half of their live album 'Ummagumma' there, Matthews Southern Comfort and the re-formed Traffic performed their debut concerts there, and one of the first performances of The Who's rock opera 'Tommy' was at Mothers.

As a sampler, in March of 1969, the following bands appeared at the club:-

The Who, Chicken Shack, The Strawbs, Spooky Tooth, Al Stewart, Julie Driscoll and The Brian Auger Trinity, Taste, Country Joe and The Fish, The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, and on Saturday the 22nd, Led Zeppelin.

Not too shabby a line up for a club in the suburbs of Brum.

Pride of Lions - 29/12/2012 01:27

Sorry Glensider, Ican't help. Mothers closed just before I was getting into my stride. I do remember trying to get in (with a couple of my pals) but we were turned away.... we were only 14 - going on 15, so I missed these wonderful bands and Mothers by a couple of years, sadly.

Thanks Pride. Shame that, you were one of my prime hopes.

Yes, Mothers would have been right up your alley.

It closed on Sunday January 3rd, a sad day indeed. The final concert was 'Quintessence'.

Quite a night.

glensider - 30/12/2012 00:48

Pride of Lions - 29/12/2012 01:27

Thanks Pride. Shame that, you were one of my prime hopes.

Yes, Mothers would have been right up your alley.

It closed on Sunday January 3rd, a sad day indeed. The final concert was 'Quintessence'.

Quite a night.

I even went along with a mate from 6th form at school hoping I could get in "by association" but that didn't work either.

At least I can thank him for introducing me to The Strawbs. He lent me Grave New World.... I was hooked. I bought the album a couple of weeks later..... that was over 41 years ago!........

I could see Pride of, from your additions to the 'What Album' thread that you were a huge Strawbs fan. Excellent taste my friend. Superb band.

From my recollections they appeared four times at Mothers (may have been more).

They were there in early March (a Friday night I think it was) and November or early December of 1969 (I was at both concerts), and then again in January and September/October time of the following year (70).

I was at the January '70 show, it was a Tuesday night, heavy snow, but for some reason I didn't get to the later that year gig.

Top Band. Loved the Sandy Denny era!!

glensider - 30/12/2012 17:39

I could see Pride of, from your additions to the 'What Album' thread that you were a huge Strawbs fan. Excellent taste my friend. Superb band.

They were there in early March (a Friday night I think it was) and November or early December of 1969 (I was at both concerts), and then again in January and September/October time of the following year (70).

I was at the January '70 show, it was a Tuesday night, heavy snow, but for some reason I didn't get to the later that year gig.

To be honest Glensider, I haven't really gone back that far with The Strawbs. I started following them when Grave New World came out, then bought From The Witchwood and some time later Dragonfly and Collection of Antiques & Curios then moved forward as they followed up with Bursting At The Seams etc etc. I've seen them (full and acoustic) on over 30 occassions... I even have a business card off Dave Cousins from his time as MD of Radio Sunshine in Devon.

God, I could write a book.... Lol

May try and find some Sandy Denny and The Strawbs though..... you're tempting me.....

Pride of Lions - 30/12/2012 16:51

glensider - 30/12/2012 17:39

To be honest Glensider, I haven't really gone back that far with The Strawbs. I started following them when Grave New World came out, then bought From The Witchwood and some time later Dragonfly and Collection of Antiques & Curios then moved forward as they followed up with Bursting At The Seams etc etc. I've seen them (full and acoustic) on over 30 occassions... I even have a business card off Dave Cousins from his time as MD of Radio Sunshine in Devon.

God, I could write a book.... Lol

May try and find some Sandy Denny and The Strawbs though..... you're tempting me.....

Yes, I would highly recommend the music from the Strawbs/Sandy Denny collaboration. Well worth checking out.

I'm not contributing to The Strawbs at Mothers chapter, someone else has that task, but it should I would think be quite an interesting piece.

The book itself is due out in late 2013/early 2014, so nearer the date, if you're interested, I'll get your info, and mail you a copy. He said that I'd get a few gratis, so I'd be more than happy to furnish someone with your musical tastes a copy of what should be a very good read.

A look back at a great club, and a look back at the very birth of some of these great bands.

To make the book even more appealing, there is to be included I understand, a picture of yours truly (in a group of fellow members), taken at the Atomic Rooster and Juicy Lucy concert in early December 1969.

Man was I good looking back then.

Juicy Lucy - (Who Do You Love)? AND Atomic Rooster - (Tomorrow Night), Wow.....dead jealous. Was Brummie Carl Palmer still with them? Apparently Carl's dad used to play the piano at the Bartons Arms.......

My first ever gig was around 69 or 70 when I went to see the Strawbs at the Adam & Eve Folk Club I think was in Gas Street?

I know I have shown this before but it is always worth another look and captures almost exactly how it was for me sitting at the front around a table with my eldest brother and mates with my pint of Cider thinking I have arrived in life.

Enjoy Pride & Kevin!

Strawbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avnsy-M9C-0

I was only 11 at the time! If you want other memories I went to see The Who and Fleetwood Mac many times in the 70's and 80's. I got Pete Townsends autobiography for Christmas - good first 200 pages!

Pride of Lions - 31/12/2012 03:05

Juicy Lucy - (Who Do You Love)? AND Atomic Rooster - (Tomorrow Night), Wow.....dead jealous. Was Brummie Carl Palmer still with them? Apparently Carl's dad used to play the piano at the Bartons Arms.......

Yes, Carl Palmer was with them Pride of, he'd left the Crazy World of Arthur Brown earlier that year (as had Vincent Crane), and along with Nick Graham they formed Atomic Rooster, a very similar type band to what Arthur Brown had been all about.

Their appearance at Mothers was prior to the release of their self-titled debut album which I think came out around early March of 1970. There was just the three of them at the time, Crane, Palmer, and Graham, John Du Cann coming on board in the spring of '70.

Of course that summer saw Carl Palmer quit, he headed off to join Keith Emerson, and Greg Lake.

They went down very well at Mothers in December of '69, that concert with Juicy Lucy was quite a night.

Thomas Holte - 29/12/2012 09:14

Ah Derek, Eddie Fewtrell, Aston lad, King of the Clubs, Barbarella's, Rebecca's, Abigail's, etc. etc.

Remember The Cedar Club? Used to feature one of Brum's top mid-sixties bands, Mike Sheridan and the Nightriders.

David Bowie appeared there with his band (Davy Jones and The Lower Third).

Jimi Hendrix turned up at the club one night, after his appearance at The Odeon.

Mothers officially opened for business on August 9th, a Friday night, 1968, the act that night was Duke Sonny.

By the time it sadly closed its doors on January 3rd 1971, it had carved a niche in the history of rock, being ranked 'Best Rock Venue In The World' by America's 'Billboard' magazine............

....in front of New York's Philmore East and L.A.'s Philmore West.

Not too bad for a club in Erdington, Brummagem.