Fleetwood Mac, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Free, Mothers/Erdington | Page 3 | Vital Football

Fleetwood Mac, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Free, Mothers/Erdington

Saw Derek and The Domino's there too, same year I think, maybe 1971, it was late Spring.

Sabbath were on round about the same time, but we couldn't get tickets.

glensider - 1/3/2013 03:34

Saw Emerson, Lake and Palmer at the Winter Gardens back in '70 tmg, maybe October time. Did a great set, including a superb version of 'Pebbles'.

Ah yes," Take a Pebble" off their self titled first album. I saw them the year later at the Odean in Brum where they started off with their "Abaddons Bolero". The thought of it still sends shivers down my back and the hairs on my arms stand up.

I still say that was the best concert I've ever been to and I've been to a few......

:14:

Derek and the Dominos at Malvern was August 1970. I was there. Set list:

Country Life
Anyday
Bottle Of Red Wine
Don't Know Why
Roll It Over
Blues Power
Have Ever Loved A Woman
Bad Boy

This was a revelation to me as it was a few months before the album came out and nobody knew what to expect. Dave Mason had left by then. Eric was wearing a neckerchief, playing a black Les Paul, and reverting to stripped down country blues. There's a bootleg of it available but the quality's not great. Better to look at this to see how it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1fXhLVaBBY

Emerson, Lake and Palmer played Malvern the month after the Dominos. It was their second ever gig. I must confess to being disappointed as i was a massive fan of the Nice and I found it very overblown. Pebbles was nice though.....

So were both in attendance for the ELP gig at Malvern Winter Gardens tmg, probably in close proximity to one another!!!!!!

Hey, just out of interest, I'm currently working through the Mothers concerts, from day one through to the closure.

I've just picked at random one month here. Look at the 'menu'. We were spoiled!!

March 1969

Saturday 1st The Who
Sunday 2nd Chicken Shack and John Peel
Friday 7th The Strawbs
Saturday 8th Terry Reid
Sunday 9th Spooky Tooth and John Peel
Friday 14th Al Stewart
Saturday 15th Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and The Trinity
Sunday 16th Taste and Family
Friday 21st The Liverpool Scene
Saturday 22nd Led Zeppelin
Sunday 23rd The Crazy World of Arthur Brown and John Peel
Saturday 29th The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
Sunday 30th Country Joe and The Fish, and John Peel

I cant recall 'The Liverpool Scene' or what they were about. I'll have to check into them.

That looks like a very good month GS. I saw Taste supporting Deep Purple at Malvern in 1969. I can still see them and hear Rory Gallagher stamping his bumper onto the stage during Catfish. The Liverpool Scene were the sort of band that John Peel played on his Night Ride show on Wednesday nights - lots of poetry that I suspect won't have aged very well.

I'd have loved to have seen Barry Melton play in those days.