Fleetwood Mac, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Free, Mothers/Erdington | Page 2 | Vital Football

Fleetwood Mac, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Free, Mothers/Erdington

Pride of Lions - 31/12/2012 03:05

Juicy Lucy - (Who Do You Love)? AND Atomic Rooster - (Tomorrow Night), Wow.....dead jealous. Was Brummie Carl Palmer still with them? Apparently Carl's dad used to play the piano at the Bartons Arms.......

Talking about Carl Palmer Pride of, the first time we saw/heard of him, he was playing with a band called The King Bees.

They were one of Brum's brightest up and coming bands, along with a band called The Approach, whose lead singer was a certain Ozzy Osborne. They used to rehearse in a concrete cellar below a church in Witton.

About this time Jeff Lynne was coming to the fore with the Idle Race.

I'm sure that you'll remember them?

Beer at Mothers (bitter) was 3s a pint.

A scotch was also 3s.

Rough cider 1s 8d per pint.

Pies were 2s each.

Membership cost 2s 6d per year, and the entrance fee was 4s on Wednesday nights, up to a maximum of 15s on Saturdays and Sundays.

glensider - 3/1/2013 19:53

Pride of Lions - 31/12/2012 03:05

Juicy Lucy - (Who Do You Love)? AND Atomic Rooster - (Tomorrow Night), Wow.....dead jealous. Was Brummie Carl Palmer still with them? Apparently Carl's dad used to play the piano at the Bartons Arms.......

Talking about Carl Palmer Pride of, the first time we saw/heard of him, he was playing with a band called The King Bees.

They were one of Brum's brightest up and coming bands, along with a band called The Approach, whose lead singer was a certain Ozzy Osborne. They used to rehearse in a concrete cellar below a church in Witton.

About this time Jeff Lynne was coming to the fore with the Idle Race.

I'm sure that you'll remember them?

Yes Glensider, I remember the Idle Race, though I can't say I know anything they did.

And yes, I've heard of the King Bees - well read about them actually. The centre spread in ELPs Black Moon tour programme has a "family tree" style lay out so you can backtrack to the very beginning of Emerson, Lake & Palmer..... very good reading.

Can't say I've ever heard of The Approach though...... certainly new to me.

The Idle Race were a fairly popular local band Pride of, and their debut album 'The Birthday Party' was quite a decent piece of work. It was basically a concept album, containing mostly songs written by Jeff Lynne.

The first track on the album, "Skeleton and the Roundabout", received quite a bit of airplay, and became a minor hit single. The album though was far from a success nationally.

If I recall correctly, the album was re-released in the mid-70's following the success of the Electric Light Orchestra.

'The Approach' was probably Ozzy's first band. They used to turn up at gigs in a van with the words 'The Approach' written on both sides.

:43: :43: :43:

I've today browsed through some great photographs taken at Mothers that are to be included in the book.

Included amongst those photo's are (most importantly!!!!!) me with a small crowd of fellow members at the Juicy Lucy/Atomic Rooster gig back in December '69.

Less importantly.............................

Bob Plant and John Bonham in Erdington High Street, outside the club, 22nd March, 1969.

Keith Moon and Roger Daltrey on the always dimly stairs as you entered the club, with pop posters in the background.

The guys from Yes in the bar, members of Pink Floyd posing outside the 'Sisters' ladies loo, and several other gems from the past.

Good one too of the King Crimson lads 'shopping' at the row of tables covered with posters, albums, t-shirts etc, all for sale.

Brings back some good memories.

:43: :43: :43:

midbedsvillan01, you mention on the front page when commenting on my 'Glensider at Everton' match report/article that you were indeed a regular at Mothers.

Great. If you read this thread, and I hope you do, and you feel that you could contribute any thoughts or memories, please p.m. me, and I can put you in touch with one of the main authors of this new 'Mothers' book.

You being a regular, hey, we could well have spent many, many hours in each others company, without knowing it :35:

A little b it :75:,but I was friends with one of the Fewtrell brothers` daughters when we lived in Handsworth Wood.When i got home from her house,my Dad asked me where I`d been and who with (being a :79:,this was not unusual).When I told him,he had a fit."You didn`t tell them your name did you ?"
Apparently the old man played a part in arresting Mother Fewtrell.Needless to say I was never to go there again.
Needless to say,I did. :17:

'Merlin128777'..................................re your comment..................................

"but I get reminded of past treasures e.g. Mothers in Erdington"

Same applies as I said to mibedsvillan01.

If you see/read this.....Please. Thanks.

Thanks Mike. Received the package this morning.

I've sent you a receipt, detailing each individual item. I'll hand the package over the weekend, and get a receipt from the recipitant for my own piece of mind.

Loved The Strawbs and The Zep posters, I'd imagine he'll definitely include them.

Appreciate your involvement.

glensider - 29/12/2012 21:54

My good mate tmg513 would have been a Mothers man too.

Like Jonathan, he'd have loved the place.

I wasn't driving then GS so I was an habitué of the Malvern Winter Gardens. I used to follow reviews of Mothers gigs in the music press. Did you see Fairport at Mothers? I'm sure you know that their original drummer Martin Lamble was killed in a motor accident returning to London from there, together with Richard Thompson's girlfriend who Jack Bruce wrote Songs For a Tailor about.

tarzan - 27/2/2013 21:01

Why did the club close? The line up looked amazing.

It was like a mini Woodstock every night tarzan.

In 1971 the lease on the club expired, and Mothers had to close.
Cavendish Woodhouse who were the owners of the property and had the shop downstairs, wanted the room back to provide additional storage space for their furniture.

Mothers closed on January 3rd (a Sunday) 1971. The final gig was Quintessence, Stonehouse, and Happy.

Quintessence were a pretty decent band, quite 'big' at the time.

tmg513 - 27/2/2013 20:18

glensider - 29/12/2012 21:54

My good mate tmg513 would have been a Mothers man too.

Like Jonathan, he'd have loved the place.

I wasn't driving then GS so I was an habitué of the Malvern Winter Gardens. I used to follow reviews of Mothers gigs in the music press. Did you see Fairport at Mothers? I'm sure you know that their original drummer Martin Lamble was killed in a motor accident returning to London from there, together with Richard Thompson's girlfriend who Jack Bruce wrote Songs For a Tailor about.

Malvern Winter Gardens, yes that was another good venue tmg.

Yes, Fairport first appeared at Mothers in '68, October/November time, I remember it was hammering down with rain when we arrived, and still pouring down when the concert ended.

They were then back at Mothers twice in early '69, once in early April (we were at that gig), and then again in May (just a week or so after Floyd had recorded part of Ummagumma at the club).

The May concert was of course the one that preceded the tragic accident that the band suffered on the drive home from Brum.

We weren't at that gig.

As you say Martin Lamble and Richard Thompson's girlfriend were killed in the wreck, and the rest of the band all suffered injuries.

No, I didn't know that 'Songs For A Tailor' was written for her. That's interesting, thanks.

Fairport were close to breaking up after the wreck. Thankfully they didn't, we'd have missed out on some great music.

They returned to Mothers in the July or August of that year, we were at that one, but we missed their final visit that year, which was just before Christmas.

In 1970 they were back, early February, a Sunday night, and they appeared with Matthews Southern Comfort.

That was a good show. Their best at Mothers that I saw anyway.

I cant recall them returning to Mothers after that gig, not that I saw them anyway.

A great band. One of the best :35:

Some brilliant reads on this thread...... but so very frustrating as Mothers was a couple of years too early for me...... or should I say I was a couple of years too late.

The latter I think.......

My early Fairport gigography has them playing in Birmingham as follows:

13.3.68 The Elbow Room
20.10.68 Mothers
6.4.69 Mothers
11.5.69 Mothers
2.11.69 Mothers
1.2.70 Mothers (Sandy had left)
19.10.70 Town Hall

Nothing wrong with your memory GS!

tmg513 - 28/2/2013 17:45

My early Fairport gigography has them playing in Birmingham as follows:

13.3.68 The Elbow Room
20.10.68 Mothers
6.4.69 Mothers
11.5.69 Mothers
2.11.69 Mothers
1.2.70 Mothers (Sandy had left)
19.10.70 Town Hall

Nothing wrong with your memory GS!

:35: Thanks tmg.

I never knew, or certainly cant recall, Fairport playing at The Elbow Room. We frequented that haunt too.

How or why we missed that concert I dont know. Obviously a good reason at the time, but whatever the reason, it certainly escapes me now.

The Elbow Room had some decent bands/artists on, not on the scale of Mothers of course, but they showcased some talent down the years.

Fairport at The Elbow eh? And we missed it. Shame on us.

Saw Emerson, Lake and Palmer at the Winter Gardens back in '70 tmg, maybe October time. Did a great set, including a superb version of 'Pebbles'.