Fleetwood Game - Doubt ? | Vital Football

Fleetwood Game - Doubt ?

Was thinking the same Lancs when I heard.

Although the EFL have been a bit inconsistent over teams being forced to play or not in the past few weeks. I think Tranmere had to stand down 7 players last week and still played. And got a late draw v Salford from 2-0 down. Whereas Crewe/Oxford has twice been postponed for positive Covid tests.

Am I a bad person for fleetingly finding myself speculating on Fleetwood having just the minimum number available to be forced to play. On a serious note we are going to find out how robust the measures are to allow our competition to complete. There is going to be a lot of disruption over the coming weeks.

Am I a bad person for fleetingly finding myself speculating on Fleetwood having just the minimum number available to be forced to play. On a serious note we are going to find out how robust the measures are to allow our competition to complete. There is going to be a lot of disruption over the coming weeks.
Lol. Also thought the same and then felt guilty.

This is Gills. I can think of nothing more frightening than us fielding a full-strength side against a team of kids, retired goal-keeping coaches, and Andy the bus driver from Knott End.

"14 year-old makes football history with hat trick in debut"

Steve Evans after-match comments
"I thought we were more than holding our own until the double sending-off which, in my view, was harsh. Our lad said he got tangled up in her pig tails, but I'll be having a word with him tomorrow."

This is Gills. I can think of nothing more frightening than us fielding a full-strength side against a team of kids, retired goal-keeping coaches, and Andy the bus driver from Knott End.

"14 year-old makes football history with hat trick in debut"

Steve Evans after-match comments
"I thought we were more than holding our own until the double sending-off which, in my view, was harsh. Our lad said he got tangled up in her pig tails, but I'll be having a word with him tomorrow."

SE has been on a major online offensive to lower our expectations for the Fleetwood game. Everything from kids v men and how great Barton is to how it's our toughest match so far. The most encouraging comment was along the lines of Fleetwood needing to earn the right to pinch the 3 points off us!
Fortunately I know he's a master of the old bluff and bullshit so I'm fully expecting the reaction we should have had v Pompey to be evident today. Plus a bit of stiffening up of the middle of our defence as he got that wrong on Tuesday imho.

SE has been on a major online offensive to lower our expectations for the Fleetwood game. Everything from kids v men and how great Barton is to how it's our toughest match so far. The most encouraging comment was along the lines of Fleetwood needing to earn the right to pinch the 3 points off us!
Fortunately I know he's a master of the old bluff and bullshit so I'm fully expecting the reaction we should have had v Pompey to be evident today. Plus a bit of stiffening up of the middle of our defence as he got that wrong on Tuesday imho.
Yes I noticed that also. He also mentioned Fleetwood having a budget of 3-4 times what ours is, and then praised Barton for using the money wisely. Turns out he was right to lower our expectations for this one.
But then he is hardly likely to say any match is going to be easy and one that we should win if we simply turn up, is he?

I think that's 6 teams Evans has already described as 'a top 6 team' that we've played so far - and Ipswich and Sunderland to come so expect more of the same.

I cant wait for his pre-game interview for the Crewe game - will he describe Mandron as an 'expensive' experienced striker ; and then Wimbledon as having some great experience with 3 proven ex-Gills Lge 1 stalwarts; and Accrington as having a budget 5 times ours.

I'm not sure this 'build up the opps' approach ever works but certainly not with our (ever-so) young players - more likely leads to them standing off the opps like we saw v Pompey particularly, and sitting back v Oxford and Hull (it did work once)

Perhaps one of the interviewers could also remind SE that it was his choice to go for 'young, hungry' players and get rid of experience (Barry F must be exasperated watching)

Perhaps one of the interviewers could also remind SE that it was his choice to go for 'young, hungry' players and get rid of experience (Barry F must be exasperated watching)

Steve Evans has been forced into signing young players because of the budget. It is unlikely that the total wage bill Gills are paying for our regular centre backs is as much as Ehmer was getting for example. Evans has made mistakes but the pluses are certainly more than the minuses.

Steve Evans has been forced into signing young players because of the budget. It is unlikely that the total wage bill Gills are paying for our regular centre backs is as much as Ehmer was getting for example. Evans has made mistakes but the pluses are certainly more than the minuses.
Chris, after your negativity on Mr Evans it’s good to see some respect where it’s due. We might not all like the guy and his antics but good to see your support when you believe he is right And not stay silent which is so easy to do.

Correct about the young squad. And a lot of L1 teams have gone this way probably for budget reasons.

I think someone worked our squads average age at a little under 24. This was discussed on the OneFootballForum a few weeks back. I think Donny average is just over 23 (without 50yo James Coppinger it would be about 20). And Lincoln is about 22.5. Extremely young, and both teams doing very well.

I don’t know the averages of their regular starting XI’s. Ours would be lower because a lot of the experienced guys aren’t usually starting (Akinde, O’Keefe, Mellis).