Flat as a pancake | Page 2 | Vital Football

Flat as a pancake

Still smarting about your various initiatives not taking off then..? What you're describing is a societal change in how we behave. We as a society are not what we were when the crowds swelled and surged on the terraces and sang our hearts out for 90 minutes. You're right, its gone, its not coming back and it is futile to try and force it to. Come to peace with it.

Actually, although you couldn't tell by looking at me, I have a damage nerve in my lower back. I can't stand in one spot for 45 mins, without developing pain that stays with me all day. I'm not on my own. Lots of middle aged and older, families, would prefer to enjoy the game sitting in their seats. Actually, lots of supporters go for the football, not to see (and get frustrated about...) how many aren't singing, or who's leaving early. Just let them do what they want. What the feck does it matter, really?

Nope, only posting the same things I have been doing for a long time about our support.

As for those who can't stand, it would be nice if they at least stayed away from the back of the Kop, but they won't even do that seemingly. It's dying and they're taking advantage of it and getting nice and comfy in the seats further back.
Mind you, it would help if the club opened the family stand up to anyone with less than 7 kids and all the birth certificates to go with it...

And unbelievably, plenty go for the football and (in blind hope) for the atmosphere.

The football has been great - an unprecedented improvement. Yet there's no buzz whatsoever. It kills it to a large extent for me. When nobody seems to care that much, you have to start questioning a few things.

When nobody seems to care that much, you have to start questioning a few things.

Our crowd
=======
Up to 8 yo - Need constant attention, drinks, snacks toilet breaks

8-20 yo - Above plus, can't live for more than a few seconds without texting their mates, or getting 3000 texts a month asking 'whats tha doin'. Above 14, add in 'trying to be big man', but only achieve 'obnoxious twat'.

20-50yo - All the above plus turning up pissed (like you paid good money for the seat, why can't you have 2 or 3 before the game, not 8 or 10 so you might remember some of it), checking bets on phone, venting anger at why your life isn't turning out how you hoped by screaming obscenities at Lundstram, instead of kicking cat. Begins to brings kids (see above), which barely modifies the rest of their behavior. Efforts to be alpha-males are transparently not working.

50-80y - Beginning to grow out of all above. As life reaches autumn, there are more things to reflect on, like 'why do my feckin knees hurt when I have to stand up?', and 'why do I have to come and put up with all these wankers who don't know how to support their team like I want them too?', and 'I suppose thats what happens when supporters become customers and society becomes granular and nuclear with a breakdown in community and a disconnect with government and authority'. Enjoys the football and the moaning in equal measure. If the football is crap then just enjoy the moaning more.

80yo - Quite a way off for me but I guess, not getting knocked over on the stairs, staying warm are quite high on the list. Along with being able to sit in my seat and enjoy the game, not having some pissed latecomer standing up in front of me, screaming obscenities because of the pent up anger that he didn't get the promotions at work and his ill tempered wife has a developed a fat arse, checking his stupid bets every thirty seconds to see if he can cash out on a profit, or he's surrounded by his obnoxious and ugly children who pester for drinks after 10 minutes, then have to go and pee them out after 35, and need another Mars bar to survive till half time, then stand up with ten minutes to go and shuffle along the row, disturbing everyone while the game is going on, just so the kids can pee out their half time drinks and he can get to his car and 'miss the traffic', come quite high on the list.

God..! I hate people. I hate them so much...

Last edited:
Our crowd
=======
Up to 8 yo - Need constant attention, drinks, snacks toilet breaks

8-20 yo - Above plus, can't live for more than a few seconds without texting their mates, or getting 3000 texts a month asking 'whats tha doin'. Above 14, add in 'trying to be big man', but only achieve 'obnoxious twat'.

20-50yo - All the above plus turning up pissed (like you paid good money for the seat, why can't you have 2 or 3 before the game, not 8 or 10 so you might remember some of it), checking bets on phone, venting anger at why your life isn't turning out how you hoped by screaming obscenities at Lundstram, instead of kicking cat. Begins to brings kids (see above), which barely modifies the rest of their behavior. Efforts to be alpha-males are transparently not working.

50-80y - Beginning to grow out of all above. As life reaches autumn, there are more things to reflect on, like 'why do my feckin knees hurt when I have to stand up?', and 'why do I have to come and put up with all these wankers who don't know how to support their team like I want them too?', and 'I suppose thats what happens when supporters become customers and society becomes granular and nuclear with a breakdown in community and a disconnect with government and authority'. Enjoys the football and the moaning in equal measure. If the football is crap then just enjoy the moaning more.

80yo - Quite a way off for me but I guess, not getting knocked over on the stairs, staying warm are quite high on the list. Along with being able to sit in my seat and enjoy the game, not having some pissed latecomer standing up in front of me, screaming obscenities because of the pent up anger that he didn't get the promotions at work and his ill tempered wife has a developed a fat arse, checking his stupid bets every thirty seconds to see if he can cash out on a profit, or he's surrounded by his obnoxious and ugly children who pester for drinks after 10 minutes, then have to go and pee them out after 35, and need another Mars bar to survive till half time, then stand up with ten minutes to go and shuffle along the row, disturbing everyone while the game is going on, just so the kids can pee out their half time drinks and he can get to his car and 'miss the traffic', come quite high on the list.

God..! I hate people. I hate them so much...

..............and what about the women?

ps I woke up at 06.00 hours and hated my new haircut........its a bad time of day :eek:

..............and what about the women?

ps I woke up at 06.00 hours and hated my new haircut........its a bad time of day :eek:
Nope, only posting the same things I have been doing for a long time about our support.

As for those who can't stand, it would be nice if they at least stayed away from the back of the Kop, but they won't even do that seemingly. It's dying and they're taking advantage of it and getting nice and comfy in the seats further back.
Mind you, it would help if the club opened the family stand up to anyone with less than 7 kids and all the birth certificates to go with it...

And unbelievably, plenty go for the football and (in blind hope) for the atmosphere.

The football has been great - an unprecedented improvement. Yet there's no buzz whatsoever. It kills it to a large extent for me. When nobody seems to care that much, you have to start questioning a few things.
abandon the family stand rules and get the 300 or so that go in blut in there lets have 3 sides of the ground full of blades

As our football has been so great, maybe the extra supporters just go to watch the football, as opposed to looking at their phones and talking about their holidays like under Adkins? Singing has always been an optional prerogative at any club. My favourite song is...

‘Sing when I’m willin’
I only sing when I’m willin’