Flag in the Corner | Page 3 | Vital Football

Flag in the Corner

I find it hard to not link the union flag to the far right. I saw too many of them being used in the 70's and 80's on NF and BM marches (and more recently on EDL, etc get togethers). I try hard not to, but I still struggle with it. That doesn't mean that I believe anybody displaying it is a racist and I do understand why people think it is patriotic to display it. TBH, the flag means nothing to me. It's an irrelevance, in all honesty.There are better ways to show your patriotism than displaying a bit of cloth.

I find it hard to not link the union flag to the far right. I saw too many of them being used in the 70's and 80's on NF and BM marches (and more recently on EDL, etc get togethers). I try hard not to, but I still struggle with it. That doesn't mean that I believe anybody displaying it is a racist and I do understand why people think it is patriotic to display it. TBH, the flag means nothing to me. It's an irrelevance, in all honesty.There are better ways to show your patriotism than displaying a bit of cloth.

MC, that`s why it`s a good time to take back the flag and demonstrate that it`s for all of us, not particular factions. "Bit of cloth" - no, that`s not a good description, mate.

It’s a symbol. If it doesn’t work for you, that’s fine. The White Cliffs, a chip shop queue or, in my case, a Britannia powering up Shap, all sorts can do it. Makes no sense, but it’s not about sense.

Breath there a man with soul so dead
Who never to himself has said
This is my own, my native land.

We used to have a Union Jack flag. We turned it upside down and painted a large circled A in the middle.

Traiters to Crown and Country, lol.

I like the idea of flags flying. Walking up the Mall in London when the union flags are out is really impressive and makes you proud to be British.

I like the idea of Steve flying the Kent invicta though - that's what I would do if I had a pole. My in-laws have a flag pole and they fly the flag of whichever child is "home" - everyone moved away. When I visit its the union flag for me which is nice. When no one is home its their home state - the Schleswig-Holstein flag so a bit like flying the Kent flag.

I think we should see the invicta flag flying more. I remember driving through Denmark once and most house flew the Danish flag. I work for a US based company - flags are everywhere, everyone has them as lapel pin badges and those in lab coats/overalls have a patch on their upper arm. Lots not to like about the USA as a society but their patriotism should be admired.

The Tories with the union flag in their living rooms does annoy me. It is due to my total dislike of the current tory party and what that they stand for. I don't see it as them being patriotic but because the latest spin doctor has told them to do it for political gain. That's the bias of my dislike shining through of course.

The irony of them flying the flag when they have done more to break up the union is not lost on me.

If the union was to break up (I agree it wont) then we should do away with the union flag and revert to the St. Georges Cross. It represents a union of nations - if we revert to independent nations with no union then the flag should be retired to history.

I found Steves comment on EU leaders having both national and EU flag together interesting. The whole point of that is they are showing that the are part of something bigger than just their country. A union of other countries.
We chose not to be part of that but why wouldn't members of that union want to display both flags ?

I like the idea of flags flying. Walking up the Mall in London when the union flags are out is really impressive and makes you proud to be British.

I like the idea of Steve flying the Kent invicta though - that's what I would do if I had a pole. My in-laws have a flag pole and they fly the flag of whichever child is "home" - everyone moved away. When I visit its the union flag for me which is nice. When no one is home its their home state - the Schleswig-Holstein flag so a bit like flying the Kent flag.

I think we should see the invicta flag flying more. I remember driving through Denmark once and most house flew the Danish flag. I work for a US based company - flags are everywhere, everyone has them as lapel pin badges and those in lab coats/overalls have a patch on their upper arm. Lots not to like about the USA as a society but their patriotism should be admired.

The Tories with the union flag in their living rooms does annoy me. It is due to my total dislike of the current tory party and what that they stand for. I don't see it as them being patriotic but because the latest spin doctor has told them to do it for political gain. That's the bias of my dislike shining through of course.

The irony of them flying the flag when they have done more to break up the union is not lost on me.

If the union was to break up (I agree it wont) then we should do away with the union flag and revert to the St. Georges Cross. It represents a union of nations - if we revert to independent nations with no union then the flag should be retired to history.

I found Steves comment on EU leaders having both national and EU flag together interesting. The whole point of that is they are showing that the are part of something bigger than just their country. A union of other countries.
We chose not to be part of that but why wouldn't members of that union want to display both flags ?

See I’m with you up to the point that the Tories are trying to break up the union.
The only people trying to break up the union are the Scottish Nationalists.
It is their entire reason for existence and Brexit is nothing more than a smokescreen.
Had the U.K. as a whole voted to remain in the Eu, the Nationalists would still be pushing for separation.
It’s what they are about.
Brexit has been a convenient flame.
Ask any Nationalist the question and they will skirt around the answer but ultimately, it’s about independence by hook or by crook.

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion but we can’t pretend it’s because of Johnson or Brexit.
Starmer and no Brexit would still be the same.
They are committed separatists.

I never said the tories were trying to break up the union, its more their actions are driving bigger wedges.
I’d argue that it’s irrelevant Mark.
Ultimately, the vote will happen and it will be up to people living in Scotland to decide.
I’d prefer the U.K. government to play a neutral role.
Simply point out the facts with reference to pensions, currency etc and let them get on with it.
Like Brexit, the population is unlikely to be influenced by the government.

See I’m with you up to the point that the Tories are trying to break up the union.
The only people trying to break up the union are the Scottish Nationalists.
It is their entire reason for existence and Brexit is nothing more than a smokescreen.
Had the U.K. as a whole voted to remain in the Eu, the Nationalists would still be pushing for separation.
It’s what they are about.
Brexit has been a convenient flame.
Ask any Nationalist the question and they will skirt around the answer but ultimately, it’s about independence by hook or by crook.

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion but we can’t pretend it’s because of Johnson or Brexit.
Starmer and no Brexit would still be the same.
They are committed separatists.

I think you may have forgotten that the Scots voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU(62/38%).
I would suggest that Johnson railroading Brexit through on a tiny margin may have pi$$ed off quite a few north of the border.

I think you may have forgotten that the Scots voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU(62/38%).
I would suggest that Johnson railroading Brexit through on a tiny margin may have pi$$ed off quite a few north of the border.
Absolutely, and they have a choice to make, but Brexit or not, the Nationalists want independence.
Had we had the softest of Brexit or no Brexit at all, their attitude would have remained the same.

No surrender !
FREEDOM!!!!

Actually that is a bit "tongue in cheek" lads, my being a Sassenach and all that however, I will say this, the attitude towards London and Parliament is most definitely getting harder and bumbling Boris is only making it easier for those who either chose not to vote or for those who voted no, to have a rethink. I'm not so confident that the majority would vote to remain if they do manage to get a second referendum organised. Whatever happens, I would remain here as long as I can still get a visitors visa for my visits to Priestfield.

I've never understood this. The Brexit referendum was a UK wide vote and the UK as a whole voted to leave. It was an all or nothing vote and was never designed for the results to be analysed and broken down into country by country, region by region or come to that parish by parish. The SNP have cherry picked the result to support their case and I'm always surprised they've been allowed to get away with it. IMO, a lot of Scots voted to stay in the EU but Scotland did not, because that was never an option.