Flag in the Corner | Page 5 | Vital Football

Flag in the Corner

Matt Hancock often doesn't show the flag in his little red library room. However on his right he has a photo of The Cock Inn, Thurlow hanging on the wall. The pub was owned by his chum Alex Bourne, who won a £30m Covid19 contract for test tube work. His firm had only recently gained a safety certificate for testing.
Might be a coincidence of course.
Don't forget the "red box"........

Lol. Shotshy still going on and on about the EU, putting the most negative spin on anything and everything. Leave won. It's as if he was desperately trying to prove he was right, whatever "right" is.

To think that Leavers were telling Remainers to accept the result and move on.

I'm just delighted that our fish are so happy with the result.
I feel sure any fish caught in our waters will be ecstatic that they are going to be consumed here.... oh, hang on, that might still not be the case as many Northumbrian, Cumbrian and Scottish fishermen are going to land and sell their catch somewhere in Denmark or Southern Norway...... how patriotic!!!!!

I feel sure any fish caught in our waters will be ecstatic that they are going to be consumed here.... oh, hang on, that might still not be the case as many Northumbrian, Cumbrian and Scottish fishermen are going to land and sell their catch somewhere in Denmark or Southern Norway...... how patriotic!!!!!
Down here in north Devon and north Cornwall, many of the fishermen have switched to cutting out the export wholesalers and selling locally.
It seems to be working quite well so far and that’s before the tourists turn up.
I’m reckoning that it must be half term given the amount of people walking on Instow beach earlier.
Second home owners in abundance.
The lay-by up on the top road was absolutely jammed with people parking up to walk the Burrows and beach.

We’ve left the Eu, not Europe

I think that's a really interesting point and is similar to divorced couples. Some can remain on good terms and others can't. I wonder what we will be?.

I hope we remain firm friends with our European allies. We gain much from each other and we don't need politics ruining that relationships.

Trade will be more complex and costly but we have much to share in other spheres. I hope we can be amicable friends following the political divorce.

Just hope you don't get a late second wave, what with all those grockles and the mutant virus. Bet most of those beach did not have face masks.

I wonder how he knows they are second home owners? Do they walk different, or are they a different colour? I'm intrigued!
There’s a clue.
Normally there is no car on the drive or lights on at any time.
Then , suddenly people turn up who were not in the town previously.
Johns of Instow cranks the prices up.
That’s a good indicator 👍

Just hope you don't get a late second wave, what with all those grockles and the mutant virus. Bet most of those beach did not have face masks.
Not a mask in sight but to be honest, the last wave of tourists didn’t increase the infection level.
North Devon and Torridge have been constantly the lowest rate in the country for some inexplicable reason.

There’s a clue.
Normally there is no car on the drive or lights on at any time.
Then , suddenly people turn up who were not in the town previously.
Johns of Instow cranks the prices up.
That’s a good indicator 👍

Absolutely, shotshy; some people just don`t get Observation.

I think that's a really interesting point and is similar to divorced couples. Some can remain on good terms and others can't. I wonder what we will be?.
I hope we remain firm friends with our European allies. We gain much from each other and we don't need politics ruining that relationships.
Trade will be more complex and costly but we have much to share in other spheres. I hope we can be amicable friends following the political divorce.

That is the supreme irony. Trade becoming easier was the popular reason for joining in the 1970s and brought us closer to our neighbours, fostering friendships. Whereas the ever increasing politics, becoming ever more onerous, complex, costly and difficult, indeed did ruin the relationship - with the EU, not Europeans.

Where we craved more simplification and flexibility, over time we eventually became bound by regulation and a bible of directives.

Last edited:
That is the supreme irony. Trade becoming easier was the popular reason for joining in the 1970s and brought us closer to our neighbours, fostering friendships. Whereas the ever increasing politics, becoming ever more onerous, complex, costly and difficult, indeed did ruin the relationship - with the EU, not Europeans.

Where we craved more simplification and flexibility, over time we eventually became bound by regulation and a bible of directives.
I wouldn't be too sure that the relationship with the Europeans hasnt taken a nosedive by both sides trying to score political points at the cost of the "opposition". I have a good few friends living on the other side of the channel and have this past year had a good few conversations with most of them regarding the Brexit plus all of the political BS that it has brought with it.

To my utter dismay, but not to my surprise, it appears that outside of what we see on our television screens, where most things are dealt with in a reasonably civilised manner, it appears we as a population, are being demonised by local politician's wanting to score points at home, based solely because we, the British people, lit a fuse by opting to leave. We were the first lemming to jump in the river.

From what I've heard, there is a lot of unrest within the EU and quite a few of the countries - notably the ex east-block lands are worried that, as an entity, the EU is going to implode and to be honest, I think they may have a point. There are calls for referendums in both Denmark and the Netherlands based on similar reasons to ours and, should the EU be stupid enough to allow Erdogan and his consorts to be accepted as a member, then the poop really could start flying.

Should that happen, maybe we could start something new with Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and West Germany and call it the New European Economic Community. That could work.... n'est-ce-pas?

Last edited:
This thread is similar to the football fan 'always right syndrome'.

A fan rates one of their players as either shite or fantastic.

As time goes on it turns out that the opposite is true but the said fan cannot publicly accept it as it would mean admitting 'their opinion was wrong' lol.

This thread is similar to the football fan 'always right syndrome'.

A fan rates one of their players as either shite or fantastic.

As time goes on it turns out that the opposite is true but the said fan cannot publicly accept it as it would mean admitting 'their opinion was wrong' lol.
To be honest Jerryattrick, I have been pleasantly surprised with the whole thread. It turns out it is possible on here to have a discussion where people with differing views are able to place their thoughts in public without being ridiculed or bullied. In my estimation it was never been a question of being right or wrong. Whether we like it or not, the whole Brexit thing affects us all in one way or another and we deal with it in our own way.

The EU will continue to trundle along while someone keeps cutting the cheques, and its politics for the poorer parts will continue to be about how much compliance delivers how much money, while its politics for the richer parts will be -remind me again what we're getting in return for shelling out. They will look across the Channel at poor Ben Gunn on his island in his patchwork clothes, working late when he feels like it and sleeping in when he feels like it, both in direct violation of relevant EU directives- and wonder whether or not they envy us.