Flag in the Corner | Vital Football

Flag in the Corner

RotherhitheGill

Vital 1st Team Regular
Why is it that now nearly every news broadcast shown from a senior Tories home or office, there is a flag of the Union in the room (I guess will be shortly followed by the Labour party)?

There was a time when we used to laugh at the American’s for their belief in the flag, flown from every house, used in every news shot, causing disgust when burnt by Jonny foreigner. We used to think it was due to the lack of self confidence in their country and lack of history.

I have as much respect for our flag (always have a tear in the eye when the flag is raised and the national anthem is played at the Olympics etc) as anyone else (even know when it’s being flown upside down unlike some on this board).

Surely we are not going to follow this sad trend?

Becoming a more common thing for other countries as well I think especially with multi-international meetings.

Does not cause me a problem whether the flag in question is the Union flag or any of the region / county flags we bandy about in this country.

Why do you think it is sad?

Why is it that now nearly every news broadcast shown from a senior Tories home or office, there is a flag of the Union in the room (I guess will be shortly followed by the Labour party)?

There was a time when we used to laugh at the American’s for their belief in the flag, flown from every house, used in every news shot, causing disgust when burnt by Jonny foreigner. We used to think it was due to the lack of self confidence in their country and lack of history.

I have as much respect for our flag (always have a tear in the eye when the flag is raised and the national anthem is played at the Olympics etc) as anyone else (even know when it’s being flown upside down unlike some on this board).

By We, you mean You !

Personally I think it’s brilliant.

Certainly an instruction to show how massively patriotic we now are and proud of the United Kingdom. Govt. also probably a bit nervous that the flag of the union may be on borrowed time. It will need the blue bits removing if the EU supporting Scots do have another vote and decide to leave us.

I’m pretty sure that even if Scotland decided to go on their own, the Union flag would stay exactly as it is.
Scotland don’t own the colour blue 😂
I’m finding the Sturgeon/ Salmond thing quite fascinating and tells me that shortly after any independence, the clans would take sides and they would start eating each other.

I’m pretty sure that even if Scotland decided to go on their own, the Union flag would stay exactly as it is.
Scotland don’t own the colour blue 😂
I’m finding the Sturgeon/ Salmond thing quite fascinating and tells me that shortly after any independence, the clans would take sides and they would start eating each other.

If Sturgeon is forced to quit in the near future, it'll be interesting to see to what extent the SNP keeps up their momentum for demanding a second referendum.

I dislike it because it shows a lack of self confidence and yes I do hate the Tories (with some F***** vengeance). Shotshy the blue in the flag is the blue in the Scottish flag (as if you did not know that). Eventually we will be left with the flag of St George (another foreigner) when Northern Ireland leave to join the Republic.

I dislike it because it shows a lack of self confidence and yes I do hate the Tories (with some F***** vengeance). Shotshy the blue in the flag is the blue in the Scottish flag (as if you did not know that). Eventually we will be left with the flag of St George (another foreigner) when Northern Ireland leave to join the Republic.
😂😂😂
As I said, Scotland have no copyright on the colour blue.
We can have what we want.

As you know RG, I’m a firm believer in democracy and if the majority in any country wishes to go alone, that’s fine by me.
But to suggest that they could take their bit of a flag is actually hilarious.

What about the Welsh.

FFS - you lot must all be on a wind up or have no f******* idea of how the union flag is made up. I'll give you the benefit of a whooosh and not your ignorance :oops:

I like it. Symbol of rallying around and unity - which is pretty important in the current Covid climate. Flags have been used for signalling too, in the past - the contemporary take could be similar as the person or persons sitting in front of the flag, beside it etc., are usually trying to pass a message or signal to the wider audience. Union Flag is fine by me.

I think most of the parlementarians getting interviewed these days have hidden agendas, the main one being to promote their own image for the voters. Shaps is certainly one I detest - the flag, the red box, what looks like a street name sign on the left as you look at him. An extremely irritating man and I detest him however that's not my biggest gripe.... why, oh why do most of them use the fake library backdrop with all the book impeccably, and often symmetrically placed. Are they so worried we'll see that their houses are much like our own... in other words, lived in or are they only trying to create the impression that they have read all of the books and that we should basically bow down to their Intelligence.

Oh yes, one more - how come journalists, who happen to have written a book, always seem to 2 or 3 of their own books so positioned (i.e. with the cover visible and not the back) that it is obvious that they are basically more interested in trying to promote their own issues above those of the interviewer.

Back in the day, if someone was interviewed who was wearing something with a really well known logo, they were forced to either change the garment or use some gaffer tape to cover it up. Mind you, saying f*** on the tv was unheard of.... which, unfortunately, is certainly no longer the case. I'm almost surprised I haven't heard it on Sesame Street yet......

Gripe over..... sorry