Five Years Ago Today - Norwich Triumphed At Wembley | Vital Football

Five Years Ago Today - Norwich Triumphed At Wembley

We travelled down on the train from Yorkshire the day before ( quicker journey than Norwich to London ) , so was well placed to meet up with DG , Northern Canary , Sminky and the others . Went to some great pubs before the game , before drinking a last ghastly beer near the ground . It was a day of fabulous sights and sounds , manic celebrations , and belief ,rounded off nicely by a night of drinking in central London before the DLR back to the hotel for a solid nights sleep before the train back to Yorkshire the next day .
Needless to say the whole day was spoilt a few weeks later by an unambitious Board , a clueless manager and a crap striker who managed 3 goals all season resulting as we all know to a prompt return to where we had come from . Winning at Wembley should have been just the start of something special but wasn’t , so sadly I don’t look back on it with too much fondness

Great day. Father and I went and had great seats. The atmosphere and the sight of so much yellow was just brilliant. I nearly broke my ankle celebrating 1st and the accidentally smacked a woman in the face and kissed her friend (Not accidentally) but it was in the cheek for the 2nd.

It was a great day out. I remember meeting up with YB, DG and Sminky in London pubs. As soon as we arrived in London it just felt like it was going to be our day. I recently listened to the Michael Bailey podcast interview with Russ Martin, and he said the same, that all the players knew that they were going to win that game.

We all knew what would happen the following season though, the usual lack of ambition, hold on to a failing manager too long and relegation. Still it was a great day and the noise was immense when those goals went in, and unforgettable seeing us win at Wembley, plus Redmonds goal was one of the best championship goals that season.

It was a great day out.
Probably my fourth best all time Norwich away game.

I recall that a railway strike was in the offing and we had to organise our day out with 2 options. First one was to book up a hotel in Redbridge with a fiver insurance policy to cancel and planned to drive up early in the morning and go into City on underground, stay overnight and drive home the next day.
Second one was for railway strike to be cancelled ( as it was ) and book up train
tickets for an early start and latish return.

We claimed back travelodge costs and only lost the fiver, had cheap train tickets and got into London before coaches started leaving County Hall car park.

We had the usual pre match beers well away from Wembley and crowded gassy beer outlets, watched a great game and then queued up for a long time to get
beer at pubs in Baker Street.

A great day out spoiled shortly afterwards by the owners wanting to be centre of attention on the day but doing minimum to remain in premier league again
and soon about to happen for the third time.

I remember AN giving us the crap excuse that because of the playoffs we had less time to prepare for the premiership. I mean when I heard that I knew we were going to be having a poor preseason of recruitment.