Fitness | Vital Football

Fitness

Merlin128777

Vital Squad Member
First game of the season I know but was anyone else a bit concerned with how many players seemed to be "blowing" in the second half ? For me we could have done with making 5 substitutions after 70 mins. Gabby,Whelan,Landsbury,Elmo,Hogan and Bacuna although Bacuna had a terrible game anyway.

These guys have had enough of a pre season to at least last 90 mins in the first game must admit
I have had reservations about the coaching since Calderwood arrived but fitness should be a priority.

Shouldn't they be tired though , it's hard to run up to 10k over 90 mins (mainly sprints) and still be fresh as a daisy .

I don't think we were any more tied than Hull and I know we have had friendlies but this was a proper league match with far higher intensity.

I would be far more worried if they were coming off the pitch not tired.

Getting stamina into the squad is pretty easy.
You split the squad into two groups, say 15 to the group.
30 minutes warm up and stretches.
With one group you split them into three groups of 5, then you have one group of 5 jog from the corner flag to the halfway line, then sprint to the corner flag, then jog across the goal-line to the next corner flag, then sprint to the halfway line, then jog to the corner and then sprint the goal line. Once the first group have reached the second corner flag, the second group take off. This circuit should be done for an hour. Then 30 minutes warm down.
The second group should be doing suicides.
That's touching the goal-line, then sprinting to the six-yard line and touching that, then back to touch the goal-line, then to a line through the penalty spot, touch and back to touch the goal-line, then sprint to the 18-yard line, touch and back to the goal-line.
This is done for an hour, then the 30 minute warm down, then the groups change activities.
Starting at 09:00 this would take the group to 12:30. That would be lunch.
After lunch a 30 minute warm up and stretching period. Then an hour spent on ball control and passing skills, followed by an hour on tactics giving a 16:00 finish. :29:

They should be fit, apart from training, ball skills?, keeping fit and playing the odd game of football, what else do they have to do?

:20:

During a game of football, the average player is lucky if he is Involved for more than 10 minutes, leaving plenty of time between bursts of effort to recover.

Since Gabby was named Mr. Aston Villa and was allowed to dictate that he wouldn't train the way Mr. Duverne, the fitness coach, wanted, the whole squad, no matter who has been in it, have become unfit for purpose.
We need a manager and coaching staff, with the balls to make the squad train to full fitness. And the balls to fine a player a weeks wage if he doesn't train. No matter what his name is.

The reason we don't look fit is because we aren't all that comfortable with the ball so spend forever chasing it.

I remember being at that Luton game last year under RDM and that was a league two team who were fitter than us. For me, the problem is I don't see enough players on the ball. This is where wingers and fullbacks are underrated, if we have the likes of Hutton and Gabby down the wing no wonder we can't keep hold of it.

Edit: Looking at the stats, not the case for today's game

Its not just the fitness.

We are a physically weak team with too many being outmuscled at shoulder to shoulder and 50-50 challenges.

Happended last season and nothing has changed.

Too many pansies in the team , physically weak, no core strength or physicality, yes that's you Lansbury, Hourihane, Chester, hogan,

Being fit enough to work for 90 minutes twice a week is, or at least should be, a standard requirement of any contract.
Being able to play for 45 minutes only, should result in a reduction of 50% in that weeks wage.
Getting injured in training, is normally a sign of being unfit, or of not warming up properly as most training ground injuries are strains and pulls, caused by overstretching.
This lack of professionalism is down to the coaches and manager. The manager as he is responsible for making sure that his workforce do what they are ordered to.