Fitness W*nkers | Page 2 | Vital Football

Fitness W*nkers

I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in over a year. It wasn't that bad. Perhaps I should post about it on Facebook?

kefkat - 22/3/2013 17:29

However I have found a way of having exercise without the hassle and pain which is passive exercise at the Toning Tables. Yes it's JF Oxymoron again!

:69:

Exercise with no work. They are brilliant and suitable for those with health problems

No they're not, and no they're not!

I ignored it last time you promoted the use of these "passive" exercise machines, I thought that you were obviously gaining something, even if it is as a result of the placebo effect.

But no, sorry, I can not stand by and ignore your promotion of these machines as "brilliant and suitable for those with health problems" because they are far from it.

These machines were a popular fad for a while, then they died a death, and now they are back for the next generation of "susceptible types" to use, by that, I mean, the fat, the lazy, and those who believe they are restricted by health problems.

These machines force you through a range of motion, now you tell me what happens if a person suffering from any problem that produces bone spurs or arthritic breakdown or restriction of movement due to scar tissue, tightness in tendons, ligaments etc, what do you think will happen? The result is MORE damage.

You can get similar results from doing isometric contractions, and they don't damage joints! Unfortunately you can do those anywhere with no equipment, for nothing! So you lose out on lying down on a piece of expensive looking equipment, with some patronising "pretend" instructor telling you how awesome you are doing for £6-12 per hour.

Do yourself and your body a favour, find a trainer who is highly qualified and knows their stuff, they WILL be able to train around your problems AND you will gain more strength and fitness than you thought possible.

"Exercise with no work" :3: Sounds like fighting for peace! Toning tables fall into the "slendertone belt" category, if you are sitting/lying there doing nothing, you are getting nothing!

The Fear - 22/3/2013 13:42

Jims post was;

settle an argument for me please. Who's more dull: The facebook parents or the facebook fitness folk?

The parents! But in reality I'd have voted for the facebook religious over both of those, It's all thank God for this, thank God for that, in all the good stories, even when it's a person who has fought through illness with tremendous courage and drive, it's due to God, all success is due to God, but I don't see the same people claiming that God was involved in any of the bad things that go on in the world, they seem less keen to give God credit for the nasty stuff, strange that!

self pity book is just a tool to those that want people to think they are perfect in every bit of life, i did know a girl who actually went to the doctors because she thought her child wasnt developing as fast ... due to the oh my tarquin is so perfect brigade on facebook.

might have a little rant later about something else that goes on, on there which really gets on my wick!!

We look forward to the rant!

That said, I don't understand why people can't live and let live.

Some of the comments against those who get pleasure from fitness are as rideable to me as the anti religious rants are to others.

What is so bad about taking pride in your health, fitness and how you look is beyond me totally!

Even at my most ill, when I can do nothing, I still like reading about other people's successes. I don't like the posts about the wanton destruction of posters bodies and the boasting about eating shite, drinking to obliteration etc but I do think if that is what they want, then cool, if you want to be unfit, not be at your energy peak, have more ill health and die young, leaving behind love ones and so much available to enjoy in life, that is your own choice and the pay off is the enjoyment some gain from eating processed vomit and smoking shit sticks that legally kill.

:17:

I like the kid updates as well, little rays of sunshine in quite often dull days.

Went this morning as my game called off - only one in there til 9.30 which was a weird experience.

If you can keep fit then you should in my opinion.

James06 - 22/3/2013 16:47

''Love that feeling of lying in bed with a nice ache from training... Drifting off already.''

But wouldn't it better not be a sad, boring, self-obsessed gobshite and to be lying in bed with a partner?

Not sure if you are talking about someone specifically that you don't like?

If not, how do you know he hasn't got a nice lady with him? He's probably loaded with more energy from being fit and far higher testosterone to give the lady a right treat as well.

:14:

Steff I am not promoting them. Merely saying what I am doing. My Doctor is fine with me doing them as we talked about it first before I went back to them.

I used to do them in the 90's and then it was for vanity. They do help me however I take on board what you say and why

I tried, went to one not far from me, the advice the lady gave, ie turning fat into muscle (as impossible as turning an arm into a leg) was woeful

They get by with these because, as they will often tell you, it was invented by a doctor for his wife with ms.

But, well, basically... So what?

You get a stretch, but then better for that and much cheaper, is the book:

The anatomy of stretching by Brad Walker.

Something far more people, in my humble, should use.

Just don't believe, and as said have tried them, that passive exercise is anything other than what I've said before, an oxymoron. The one thing people gain when they do such things is the fact quite often they also start looking at their diet to fit the 'exercise' they are doing.

However, even if only placebo kefkat, if you enjoy etc etc etc! :17:

kefkat - 24/3/2013 14:31

Steff I am not promoting them. Merely saying what I am doing.

IF that was the case I would have said nothing! But this IS promotion

kefkat - 22/3/2013 17:29

They are brilliant and suitable for those with health problems

You state that they are brilliant and that they ARE SUITABLE for those with health problems! That IS promotion, and FALSE promotion at that! They are not suitable, they are ineffective at best and downright dangerous at worse, they are NOT brilliant, they are a scam, a con, in all my years in this business (over 30) I have dealt with many who have used these, I have checked them out personally, I have used them and not just once, I have researched, I have studied, these are machines designed to take money off the "I want to feel like I'm doing something without actually doing something brigade" Which unfortunately is a very large part of the population.

As for your Dr's opinion, I can guarantee that he/she knows a lot less about toning tables (probably nothing) than I do about his/her profession, in fact I must say that most Dr's, consultants I come into contact with are pretty clueless when it comes to health and fitness, their job is to treat your symptoms with expensive drugs, not to push you in the direction of not needing them!

I even had a 20 min argument with a consultant about BMI before he was forced to admit it was ineffective.

Have to concur on that. My doctor asked my advice year before last ( when I was starting to really shape up before the set back of meningitis last year!) and I was surprised at his lack of understanding. Good thing about him though, instead of doing what many do (spout uneducated shit or guess, not that I have a problem with the ignorance of a few docs ruining my life you understand!) is that he isn't above asking others advice or opinion.

Ramble over.

:19:

I do enjoy going JF. It helps me and that is what is important to me. It has helped me tone up. I say tongue in cheek for me that it is passive. Yes it is as your not working up a sweat as you do in a gym. However I do feel a benefit from as I wouldn't do them.

There not for everyone and it is in the main women that do them. They are not for men really. It helps my well being also.

It's kind of hard to explain from a woman's point of view all the ways I find them beneficial. They are not expensive where I go and certainly not the price Steff mentioned. It works out at £4-00 per session.

I used to go to the gym many years ago in my 20's and early/mid 30's

It is an area Steff obviously you know alot about. I take on board why you think I am promoting it from your perspective. That wasn't my intention.

I am female obviously and the way I will speak is often different to males. I am a person who will say when I think something benefits me for many reasons, Alot of people do use them that have problems and older people too.

As I said I take on board what you say and why Steff

Not for men because men are wiser and know they don't work!

:17:

:14:

It isn't tongue in cheek, they call it passive exercise.

If they work for women, they would work for men. Bodies, muscle etc aren't that different. Different body fat percentages aside.

Not having a go though, honest, but that just isn't right kefkat.

My point re decent stretching remains. These things don't stretch the body long enough or get cardio going and yes, I understand health/inability to do things.

Mom went to one where they got her doing a warm up. It was a minute on a cycle before going on machines. Just laughable. Then there was the pseudo science they 'backed up' their science.

Then you looked at the diet they recommended and hey presto, THAT was where the fat loss came from. No doubt whatsoever.

I know they are passive exercise JF. By tongue in cheek I meant that it was lazy and I am not lazy. Oh I knew what I meant anyway.

I don't know about the 1's down with you however no one has ever got me doing warm ups or looked at diets in the 2 places I have used up here. I was promised toning though no weight loss unless I went on a diet on both occasions meaning when I did them in the late 90's. I had no real problems with my weight then.

I struggle with my weight more so now and I remembered what I was told before about them and why they were introduced re they were for people who were older and health problems to get some form of exercise.

As it happens as it did the last time I had about half a stone on in the 90's I needed to shift and whatever/however it kicked started my metabolism and with no change in eating habits that half a stone came off. The same as happened this time.

I am sure Steff or yourself will have an explanation for this however that is the truth what I have put. I am not in exaggerating or lieing so I can only put these things as they have been for me.

Haha that men are wiser. Doh! I walked into that

I know your not having a go JF. I am happy discuss it. It is how we learn through others experiences for us all.

Oh and yes I do know I have done these beds after because though it doesn't work up the sweat in the same way I can feel that I have been on these machines

Looking from a woman's point of view, alot of us don't want to break out in horrible sweats and feel yucky after, though granted you can take a shower after us women still need to dry our hair redo our make up etc.

Toning tables are just more lady like from that point of view. There is also no one looking down the nose at you as in the gym as the main of women who go already have perfect figures. Now you men would say who gives an f, however we women generally come in from a different view point.

I never did that when women who were overweight came to the gym in my fit days however alot of women did (because alot of my sex are down right nasty bitches) and the woman who is already fragile and vulnerable feels worse.

Don't agree kefkat, exercise is about breaking a sweet, the washing hair etc argument to me is daft.

Plus, do you not think blokes feel intimidated by others fitter, stronger etc.

You have to be mentally strong (don't mean you as in you, I mean generally people) enough to realise the gym is about yourself only.

Eg I could do curls at 20kg and pose along with others, but my form would be crap. So you have to learn not go in with an ego or care what others are doing. You v you.

I have had plenty of limits over the years and with my many rib ops I've looked horrendous at times, twisted sternum, ribs sticking out etc. not exactly body beautiful.

So, do I therefore not go to the gym? No,difficult as it was at times, I manned up (was going to say sucked it up but knew someone would pick up on that!) and went anyway.

Trust me, plenty of blokes are complete pricks in the gym thinking themselves better. I got pushed off a machine once. I say once because the @@@@ didn't do it again.

I digress.

I do agree with steff, and like him I have tried them, also tried the chairs at one point, they are a bit of con really. You can do stretching yourself to far better effect.

I'd not begin to suggest to you alternates like swimming etc though, as I have no idea your ailments and this thread certainly isn't for that sort of thing.