First Time Visitor in August | Vital Football

First Time Visitor in August

NYC_LATICS

Vital Reserves Team
Hey, everyone.

I'm much more active on Twitter (WigaNrthAmerica) than this board, but I figured this would be a better place to get detailed feedback.

I'm planning my first trip across the pond in August with my dad (mid 60s) and uncle (early 70s), and with our current travel plans, we're aiming to see Fleetwood away and Bristol City at home.

Other than that, we're still finalizing a lot of the major trip details (flights, hotels, non-match day plans) but we will likely be staying close to Wigan.

Our biggest question at the moment is if we should rent a car or not.

Would having a car be more optimal if we were flying in and out of London vs Manchester? Will the costs be too exorbitant in comparison to taking train/taxi everywhere?

Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Cheers!

The cost of rail travel especially to and from London to Wigan can be very expensive. It is possible to get cheap train tickets if you book far enough in advance at certain times but it can be a pain.

So I imagine if you are landing in the south renting a car could end up the better option as it would give you options to visit different places easier and possibly overall cheaper.

Do you have a rough idea of how much the rental car you're look at is?

Whether you stay near to Wigan depends on the length of your entire trip and whether you want to see other tourist areas….London specifically.

NY direct to Manchester was a regular service (assume it still is ?).
Hindley correctly identifies most Wigan hotels as ones to avoid …although Kilhey Court just out of town is fine but expensive (for round here) but with the current Dollar/Pound exchange rate you might find it a bargain !

Mind you if you do hire a car (I would if I were you even if you just wanted to stay around the north west) you best brace yourself for $10.50 USD a gallon 😖

There is also the Wrightington Hotel, DW's old place, near Standish or simply book a Premier Inn if you are on a budget.

Just avoid The Whites Hotel.

You've picked a terrible time to come really, train fares are through the roof and fuel prices are through the roof, so it's going to cost you getting around wherever you are planning on going.

I echo the above. Certainly wouldn't stay in Wigan, to be honest I'd stay totally clear of the place other than a matchday. Everything you'd want to do in Wigan whether it be a pub crawl, football etc can ultimately be done in one day.

It ultimately depends on what your plans are/where you want to go in the UK but I'd probably opt for the car rental as well, especially when considering the ages of the two you're bringing over.

If you're planning to go to Fleetwood, book a cheap guesthouse in Blackpool for that night rather than drive back to wherever your hotel is that evening. Just leave the car parked at the guesthouse and get the tram into Fleetwood at your leisure.

The cost of rail travel especially to and from London to Wigan can be very expensive. It is possible to get cheap train tickets if you book far enough in advance at certain times but it can be a pain.

So I imagine if you are landing in the south renting a car could end up the better option as it would give you options to visit different places easier and possibly overall cheaper.

Do you have a rough idea of how much the rental car you're look at is?

What do you consider an average price for London to Wigan rail travel? What do you consider high?

Looks like the rental cars we'd consider would go for anywhere from £ 750-1,000 for the week.

Does that seem high?

Whether you stay near to Wigan depends on the length of your entire trip and whether you want to see other tourist areas….London specifically.

NY direct to Manchester was a regular service (assume it still is ?).
Hindley correctly identifies most Wigan hotels as ones to avoid …although Kilhey Court just out of town is fine but expensive (for round here) but with the current Dollar/Pound exchange rate you might find it a bargain !

Mind you if you do hire a car (I would if I were you even if you just wanted to stay around the north west) you best brace yourself for $10.50 USD a gallon 😖

Thanks for the hotel rec. I'll look into it.

Also, noted about avoiding hotels in Wigan proper.

The cost of petrol will come as quite a shock to our wallets. Americans are already up in arms about paying $5 USD/gallon now.

That will definitely play a factor in our itinerary.

What do you consider an average price for London to Wigan rail travel? What do you consider high?

Looks like the rental cars we'd consider would go for anywhere from £ 750-1,000 for the week.

Does that seem high?
I don't drive, however the fares for trains are very high over here at the moment. My Aunt did just visit from Canada and bought a Britrail ticket... https://www.britrail.com/britrail-passes/britrail-pass/
Just meant she had to plan her travel days but there wouldn't be anything stopping you paying for a ticket and saving the rail ticket for the big travel days e.g. London-Manchester

You've picked a terrible time to come really, train fares are through the roof and fuel prices are through the roof, so it's going to cost you getting around wherever you are planning on going.

I echo the above. Certainly wouldn't stay in Wigan, to be honest I'd stay totally clear of the place other than a matchday. Everything you'd want to do in Wigan whether it be a pub crawl, football etc can ultimately be done in one day.

It ultimately depends on what your plans are/where you want to go in the UK but I'd probably opt for the car rental as well, especially when considering the ages of the two you're bringing over.

If you're planning to go to Fleetwood, book a cheap guesthouse in Blackpool for that night rather than drive back to wherever your hotel is that evening. Just leave the car parked at the guesthouse and get the tram into Fleetwood at your leisure.

No arguments with the bolded.

If I were traveling alone or with a mate I'd be much more flexible with the arrangements, but for my older family who want to come, this August is a "now or never" time for them.

We will likely use a rental car, especially considering your points. My dad is in the best shape of anyone I know . My uncle - not so much.

Thank you for the Fleetwood/Blackpool rec. That sounds like a great idea.

Hey, everyone.

I'm much more active on Twitter (WigaNrthAmerica) than this board, but I figured this would be a better place to get detailed feedback.

I'm planning my first trip across the pond in August with my dad (mid 60s) and uncle (early 70s), and with our current travel plans, we're aiming to see Fleetwood away and Bristol City at home.

Other than that, we're still finalizing a lot of the major trip details (flights, hotels, non-match day plans) but we will likely be staying close to Wigan.

Our biggest question at the moment is if we should rent a car or not.

Would having a car be more optimal if we were flying in and out of London vs Manchester? Will the costs be too exorbitant in comparison to taking train/taxi everywhere?

Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Cheers!

As others have already gave you some decent advice all I can add is that you'll all be given a warm welcome by the Latics faithful, nothing better than having fans from far flung place....so make sure you make yourself know to fellow Latics fans & you'll not go far wrong for some good advice and friendly chat.....👍🍻

Does that seem high?

I'm not well up on rental car prices but I would've thought you could get a better deal than 750-1k for a week. But it probably depends on what type of car you want too. I'd look around on that - it was a couple of years ago but wife's family got a rental for a week for less than 500. Also if you've got a number of people coming the collective cost of train tickets can soon stack up.

Depending on when you book train tickets and if you can get deals London to Wigan can be anywhere from £40, to 70 to a few hundred pounds each. It really is crazy how much it can vary. Best to look at websites like Trainline or Take The Train and see the options for booking advance tickets as sometimes booking 3 months out you can get good deals but pay on the day will be premium prices.

Personally if you can get a decent rental car price I'd probably go for that as it gives you the flexibility to potentially go to different tourist stuff further away. Getting to somewhere Wales or the Lakes on public transport would likely be difficult and expensive but easy in a car.

If you're familiar with Will Jones on twitter. You might be better asking his advice as he came over from America recently. So will know the easiest way to travel around the northwest.

I don't drive, however the fares for trains are very high over here at the moment. My Aunt did just visit from Canada and bought a Britrail ticket... https://www.britrail.com/britrail-passes/britrail-pass/
Just meant she had to plan her travel days but there wouldn't be anything stopping you paying for a ticket and saving the rail ticket for the big travel days e.g. London-Manchester
This Britrail ticket sounds the way to go for cost effective multi trip train journeys.

Obvs the cost of flights to different airports is a factor

A bonus for the trip is the weakness of the £ Sterling against US$

The car v train depends on what other tourist sites you want to visit.
If you tell us where you want to go, we can advise on the worth and how accessible if you elect to travel by train.

Someone suggested a Blackpool guest house, that could be a grim night, be very careful. With a strong $ a decent hotel would be the best option

As others have already gave you some decent advice all I can add is that you'll all be given a warm welcome by the Latics faithful, nothing better than having fans from far flung place....so make sure you make yourself know to fellow Latics fans & you'll not go far wrong for some good advice and friendly chat.....👍🍻
Make the club aware that you are coming, I am aware that they have done stuff for other overseas visitors.