First non heading football match to take place | Vital Football

First non heading football match to take place

Max.Headroom

Vital Reserves Team
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58585429
Am I missing something?
All this attention on dementia, and it's association with heading, but not seen much about boxing, and the fact that you can batter some ones head until you eventually win, In some cases by a knockout. Are there any plans in the pipeline to restrict headshots at all? And what about MMA?

Loads of codswallop lol. Sports do have dangers but the evidence that it definitely caused dementia seems flakey to me.

Meanwhile, in another section of the community, ruffians in Glasgow have agreed to adapt the Glasgow Handshake to exclusively involve their hands.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58585429
Am I missing something?
All this attention on dementia, and it's association with heading, but not seen much about boxing, and the fact that you can batter some ones head until you eventually win, In some cases by a knockout. Are there any plans in the pipeline to restrict headshots at all? And what about MMA?

It may not be too long before the FA and other sporting bodies mandate that participants sign a formal disclaimer.

It`s a serious debate, of course, but completely removing any form of head contact in pro-sports is pretty radical and surely some way off...

How bad would football be if:
a) kick-outs by goalkeepers were banned
b) the heading of kick-outs was banned
c) corners were banned

At all other times, heading was allowed.

Personally, I think b) would be tolerable, but c) would remove a defining characteristic of football.

How bad would football be if:
a) kick-outs by goalkeepers were banned
b) the heading of kick-outs was banned
c) corners were banned

At all other times, heading was allowed.

Personally, I think b) would be tolerable, but c) would remove a defining characteristic of football.

But, if "a" and "b" were banned, Gills would never get out of their own half !

I used to absolutely hate having to head a sky high kick out from the keeper.
A slight misjudgment and it bloody hurt.
Didn’t mind attacking the ball with my forehead but flicks on.
argggghhh

If you took away headers think back to the greatest goal in Gills history. Would Thommo have got to it with his foot ?
Outlawing heading would possibly cause more injuries as players who previously used their head go for the ball with their foot.Would the shoulder and chest be still legal?
Imagine it VAR to judge if it touched his head or shoulder?

Last edited:
I think this whole debate centre’s around WH&S and litigation.

Over here, It’s not heading involved, but the 2 main football codes (Rugby and AFL) the authorities are doing everything they possibly can to remove head high contact no matter how innocuous it is. The reason being they reckon there is a massive class action lawsuit pending from past generations of footballers with brain injuries, dementia etc.

It threatens to bankrupt those codes and they have to be seen to eliminate sporting head injuries as much as they can.

And I think continued heading of a football is probably causing similar issues for true football.

There is a lot of coverage recently about elderly footballers having dementia BUT many of them are fairly elderly anyway. Has it been proved that the cases of dementia in this group of people is higher than in an equivalent group of people of the same age, and whether heading the ball is fundamentally the cause? Have they had fillings in their teeth for instance?

Stopping kids having fun by being too risk adverse is worse than the dangers from heading. The vast majority of kids who play football never play at a high level where heading a ball would be a daily occurence anyway.

Has it been proved that the cases of dementia in this group of people is higher than in an equivalent group of people of the same age, and whether heading the ball is fundamentally the cause?.

Not sure what statistical evidence there is yet, but a quick google of sports concussion, head Injuries, dementia etc shows a heap of academic studies in this area. So I think there must be something (a lot!) in it.

It’s certainly got a lot of momentum behind it here in Australia and I believe in USA with NFL. And those authorities are changing a lot of rules around protecting the head.

Not sure what statistical evidence there is yet, but a quick google of sports concussion, head Injuries, dementia etc shows a heap of academic studies in this area. So I think there must be something (a lot!) in it.

It’s certainly got a lot of momentum behind it here in Australia and I believe in USA with NFL. And those authorities are changing a lot of rules around protecting the head.

Its becoming an industry. Better just play simulation games to make sure lol.