First EFL2 Managerial Casualty- Gary Johnson Cheltenham | Vital Football

First EFL2 Managerial Casualty- Gary Johnson Cheltenham

Yup. Was never going to be easy losing Eisa just before the transfer window closed. No time to get a replacement.

I am surprised in one sense, considering we are just four games into the season. Presumably it was the board's decision to sell their top scorer for massive money, and was not therefore Johnson's fault. Cheltenham stayed up purely because of Eisa's goals, and were always going to struggle with him gone.

In another way, I am relieved. He has been very unwell in the last couple of years including a multiple heart bypass. I hope he now retires because football isn't worth dying for.

I am surprised in one sense, considering we are just four games into the season. Presumably it was the board's decision to sell their top scorer for massive money, and was not therefore Johnson's fault. Cheltenham stayed up purely because of Eisa's goals, and were always going to struggle with him gone.

In another way, I am relieved. He has been very unwell in the last couple of years including a multiple heart bypass. I hope he now retires because football isn't worth dying for.
You're just setting someone or other up to mention a former Liverpool manager :yes:

Crazy, as he has done wonders for Cheltenham, I am sure he would of loved to of kept Elsa, but money talks. The question is who is going to produce wonders for them, especially after they have paid G.J. off . Hope he enjoys his retirement.

I expected them to do well this season. Some good players there and Johnson is a solid manager

They haven't got good players, that is the main problem. Summer signings were very mediocre, consisting of some well-known L2 journeymen, players released from other struggling clubs and a few from non-league. Ultimately that is Johnson's call, but I thought Cheltenham got their summer business all wrong in terms of timing. They signed players very early in the transfer window, which usually does not work - they obviously had a small budget at that point and signed the players they could afford. To compound that, they then decided to sell Eisa towards the end of the permanent transfer window when Johnson had already signed 12 players. So he suddenly had lots of money to spend but no transfer window left to sign anyone to replace Eisa.

They haven't got good players, that is the main problem. Summer signings were very mediocre, consisting of some well-known L2 journeymen, players released from other struggling clubs and a few from non-league. Ultimately that is Johnson's call, but I thought Cheltenham got their summer business all wrong in terms of timing. They signed players very early in the transfer window, which usually does not work - they obviously had a small budget at that point and signed the players they could afford. To compound that, they then decided to sell Eisa towards the end of the permanent transfer window when Johnson had already signed 12 players. So he suddenly had lots of money to spend but no transfer window left to sign anyone to replace Eisa.
I would think it’s more likely they knew Eisa was going and planned for him leaving. What they didn’t know was how much they’d get. So they spent a lot at the start. Also remember Cheltenham don’t get as big a crowds as us and don’t have a Nates backing them to get them going financially so can’t afford as much.

I rate players such as Hussey, Tozer and Connor Thomas at their level. For us they may be average considering our squad but for other teams they are star. They then got some non league strikers when Eisa had gone who have started off ok and they’ll hope will improve. There’s worse squads in the league in my opinion.

It's a decision they should have taken in the summer.

He's not been sacked just off the back of the 5 games this season - his overall FL record there is very poor (25 wins in 105, or similar).

from the cheltenham website:
Record transfer received: Steven Gillespie, £400,000 from Colchester Unted, June 2008

the manager has just unearthed eisa, who has scored a hatful, which helped to keep them in the league, and became their biggest asset. the board's response: sell the asset and sack the manager. what do they expect from a manager?

timing is also crazy for any new sucker prepared to take the job on.

I rate players such as Hussey, Tozer and Connor Thomas at their level. For us they may be average considering our squad but for other teams they are star. They then got some non league strikers when Eisa had gone who have started off ok and they’ll hope will improve. There’s worse squads in the league in my opinion.

Tozer and a couple of others are the journeymen I was referring to. Thomas was playing in India last year. Mediocre players with mediocre records, but right in the eyeline of Cheltenham's budget. There are worse squads in the league - when I was researching for the season preview, I compared them all side-by-side. Without Eisa, I believe only Morecambe and Macclesfield have worse squads than Cheltenham, and they are the two I tipped for relegation accordingly. I now believe Cheltenham are in big trouble, depending to a certain extent on which manager they bring in now. It is a huge decision for them.

Tozer and a couple of others are the journeymen I was referring to. Thomas was playing in India last year. Mediocre players with mediocre records, but right in the eyeline of Cheltenham's budget. There are worse squads in the league - when I was researching for the season preview, I compared them all side-by-side. Without Eisa, I believe only Morecambe and Macclesfield have worse squads than Cheltenham, and they are the two I tipped for relegation accordingly. I now believe Cheltenham are in big trouble, depending to a certain extent on which manager they bring in now. It is a huge decision for them.
It’s a matter of opinions. I did the same in comparing and I believed they could be dark horses for play offs. Early signs suggest I was wrong. Thomas was well rated when at Coventry.

You’re completely right of course, the next appointment is crucial. A good one, they may blossom (they’ve signed a couple of non league strikers who could be the next Eisa’s for them). A poor one, they’ll lose the squad (as it was built by Johnson) and could fulfill your prediction. If I re-did my prediction i’d put them lower mid table, 16th ish.

They have had a terrible start and to be fair, any manager who is not in the top two after a lengthy 4 games deserves to go for being so utterly useless.
Surprised the board left it so long. Surely he should have gone once the first goal had been conceded.
:taz::taz: