Final Squad List 2021/22 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Final Squad List 2021/22

WARNING! do not come on here cheerful, cos its the end of the bleedin world lol!
Well said Pompey .
I don’t see many ostriches on here anymore , we don’t have a bad squad .
We do have a new manager , with a different style of play , which is vastly different to the crap that was served up last season .
Some of that crap will take a while to be trained out of some of them .
We have already seen a far different Moura ,,Dele Alli , and Dier ,
Ndom has gone back into his shell , Kane didn’t know whether to stick or twist ,,,,he will have to get his head around not being the only provider this season , Son will have to learn that he can shoot on sight again , PEH has already seen the other half of the field , that there is life on the far end……..

The defence has obviously been worked on first , and there is a big difference there , a bit of belief is emerging , with a strong candidate being brought in , .
we have suddenly got defensive cover in most positions .
Doherty is the weakest link , ironically , and Nuno will have knowledge of him , whether he can improve , having sold him to us .,

The squad did well last season despite Mourhino,…… Mason did well to hold it all together at the death .
Big season for Gollini , Sess, Clarke , Gil , Royal, Scarlett , Skipp , Berg , All young enough to grow into the team .

Nuno has a job on his hands , I think we have to stay patient , obviously give him time , not be accused of being Happy Clappers , and appreciate that for the minute , not losing is better than being gung ho .
He has concentrated on the defence first .

Has anyone remembered , we are top of the league and haven’t conceded a goal .

We haven’t scored many ,
Rome , day , built .

Not having anyone special about the place is a breath of fresh air .
Thank the Levy we had the windows open all summer to let the stale air out .
All in my humble opinion , of course . Which normally ain’t worth a Jodrell .

One thing for sure, Spurs did not match his ambition, which I had hoped was the grounds for which he stayed.

We never do though. I remember 2 transfer windows when we had a good one in 21 years under ENIC.

2012/13 Jan, Dembele, Hugo
2015/16 Trippier, Toby, Son.

The clubs problem has always been building on a squad that is on the up.

Jol was building a good squad in 2006 but we failed to get in the players he wanted.

2010-12 under Harry we had a quality 1st 11 but needed that GK and ST but Levy failed to bring them in.

We finished 2nd in 2016/17 and totally fucked up our transfer windows to move forward. Then that disaster transfer window in 2018 really proved what the club's ambitions are.

As long as we are in the European qualification area ENIC are happy. Nothing will change.

We never do though. I remember 2 transfer windows when we had a good one in 21 years under ENIC.

2012/13 Jan, Dembele, Hugo
2015/16 Trippier, Toby, Son.

The clubs problem has always been building on a squad that is on the up.

Jol was building a good squad in 2006 but we failed to get in the players he wanted.

2010-12 under Harry we had a quality 1st 11 but needed that GK and ST but Levy failed to bring them in.

We finished 2nd in 2016/17 and totally fucked up our transfer windows to move forward. Then that disaster transfer window in 2018 really proved what the club's ambitions are.

As long as we are in the European qualification area ENIC are happy. Nothing will change.

Nothing ever changes until it does., but in our case that will mean money and lots and lots of it, more than we've ever got near to spending ever before.

The first changes that need to be made, have been.

Our transfer investment profile now means we have to get back into European football (proper) and show that we're on the up, then we can start competing for players that can help in that transformation - but when we're up against the sort of money ManC, Manure and the bin dippers can bring to bear, it won't be simple.

Le aese have spent with fees close to £150 million, let's see how much they improve because spending like that will be the real benchmark that we'll have to match.

Last edited:
Well said Pompey .
We do have a new manager , with a different style of play , which is vastly different to the crap that was served up last season .
Ndom has gone back into his shell , Kane didn’t know whether to stick or twist ,,,,he will have to get his head around not being the only provider this season , Son will have to learn that he can shoot on sight again , PEH has already seen the other half of the field , that there is life on the far end……..

The defence has obviously been worked on first , and there is a big difference there , a bit of belief is emerging , with a strong candidate being brought in , .
Doherty is the weakest link , ironically , and Nuno will have knowledge of him , whether he can improve , having sold him to us .,

The squad did well last season despite Mourhino,…… Mason did well to hold it all together at the death .
Big season for Gollini , Sess, Clarke , Gil , Royal, Scarlett , Skipp , Berg , All young enough to grow into the team .

Nuno has a job on his hands , I think we have to stay patient , obviously give him time , not be accused of being Happy Clappers , and appreciate that for the minute , not losing is better than being gung ho .

We haven’t scored many ,
Rome , day , built .

A big thank you there Walt, at least you can see what I was trying to say, it must be the sunny souff in us, excuse me! what bloody sun, nuff said lol!

Nothing ever changes until it does., but in our case that will mean money and lots and lots of it, more than we've ever got near to spending ever before.

The first changes that need to be made, have been.

Our transfer investment profile now mean get back into European football (proper) and show that we're on the up, then we can start competing for players that can help in that transformation - but when we're up against the sort of money ManC, Manure and the bin dippers can bring to bear, it won't be simple.

Le rase have spent with fees close to £150 million, let's see how much they improve because spending like that will be the real benchmark that we'll have to match.

I'm not impressed with what they have done.

Arteta is a shit manager too.

A big thank you there Walt, at least you can see what I was trying to say, it must be the sunny souff in us, excuse me! what bloody sun, nuff said lol!
You are right, we don't have a bad squad, but it's not good enough to challenge for top 4 or any decent cup either. I'm not happy with it.

Is that your prediction for our season then?

personally, I don't think we really know what this new squad is capable of achieving yet, but the next 10 games might show us.
Spot on there Ex, true we just do not know.

I see for example a way tougher, hard to score against defence, competition for a possible back 3 or 4.

There is also competition right across the squad, ok maybe not Arry n Sonny, but otherwise the build of a new team is beginning, from little acorns and all that!

Is that your prediction for our season then?

personally, I don't think we really know what this new squad is capable of achieving yet, but the next 10 games might show us.

Yes. City, Utd, Chavs and Pool have better squads. Spam, Leicester and Everton could be snapping at our heels.

Spot on there Ex, true we just do not know.

I see for example a way tougher, hard to score against defence, competition for a possible back 3 or 4.

There is also competition right across the squad, ok maybe not Arry n Sonny, but otherwise the build of a new team is beginning, from little acorns and all that!

Happy clappy positivity. We didn't sign a striker or AM. We replaced Lamela with Gil who is not ready. Lamela could defend, start attacks, assist and score remember. Gil might end up a better player eventually, I am assessing as of now and how we shape up as of now.

Happy clappy positivity. We didn't sign a striker or AM. We replaced Lamela with Gil who is not ready. Lamela could defend, start attacks, assist and score remember. Gil might end up a better player eventually, I am assessing as of now and how we shape up as of now.
NRD, it's just not supportable that Lamela provided goals and assists.

This is his record in the last 5 seasons of the Premier League:

2020/21 - 1 goal, 0 assists
2019/20 - 2 goals, 2 assists
2018/19 - 4 goals, 2 assists
2017/18 - 2 goals, 4 assists
2016/17 - 1 goal, 1 assist

For a forward/attacking midfielder that's a mediocre record at best. And at his age he wasn't going to improve.

And Gil may well be ready before you think.

NRD, it's just not supportable that Lamela provided goals and assists.

This is his record in the last 5 seasons of the Premier League:

2020/21 - 1 goal, 0 assists
2019/20 - 2 goals, 2 assists
2018/19 - 4 goals, 2 assists
2017/18 - 2 goals, 4 assists
2016/17 - 1 goal, 1 assist

For a forward/attacking midfielder that's a mediocre record at best. And at his age he wasn't going to improve.

And Gil may well be ready before you think.

He started attacks but not necessarily an assist. He came on as a sub and changed the tempo many times. How's he doing for Sevilla. ? I often thought our players weren't good enough to play with Lamela. As I said before. I'm talking the now. Gil is not an upgrade on Lamela. He may end up being, yes. I wanted a better first 11 after this window.

He started attacks but not necessarily an assist. He came on as a sub and changed the tempo many times. How's he doing for Sevilla. ? I often thought our players weren't good enough to play with Lamela. As I said before. I'm talking the now. Gil is not an upgrade on Lamela. He may end up being, yes. I wanted a better first 11 after this window.
You said he provided goals and assists. That's what I was responding to.

His couple of games for Sevilla is hardly a counter argument to his eight years at Spurs. Sometimes a player just needs to be at the right club. Maybe Sevilla is that club. There are a myriad of reasons why a player performs at one club but not another (and I'm talking about his goals and assists here). Maybe we played him out of position? That's when he was available. Who knows? But his record is there for all to see.

How do you know Gil won't be an upgrade on Lamela very soon? Even if he becomes a regular starter that's an improvement. We don't know what plans Fabio and Nuno have for him.

And when you buy a new player - irrespective of their age and transfer fee - how would you ever know whether they are an upgrade on the player they are placing at the point of purchase? It's not until they get out on the pitch that you can make that assessment.

But unless we try something new we'll never know. And sometimes that can mean taking one step backwards to go two steps forward.

You said he provided goals and assists. That's what I was responding to.

His couple of games for Sevilla is hardly a counter argument to his eight years at Spurs. Sometimes a player just needs to be at the right club. Maybe Sevilla is that club. There are a myriad of reasons why a player performs at one club but not another (and I'm talking about his goals and assists here). Maybe we played him out of position? That's when he was available. Who knows? But his record is there for all to see.

How do you know Gil won't be an upgrade on Lamela very soon? Even if he becomes a regular starter that's an improvement. We don't know what plans Fabio and Nuno have for him.

And when you buy a new player - irrespective of their age and transfer fee - how would you ever know whether they are an upgrade on the player they are placing at the point of purchase? It's not until they get out on the pitch that you can make that assessment.

But unless we try something new we'll never know. And sometimes that can mean taking one step backwards to go two steps forward.

In my original post I said he started attacks. Goals and assists are a measure but not necessarily a true representation of what he provided. While we continue to dip into the Euro bargain bin, we will have to hope they do grow and adapt to the PL.

Well said Pompey .

We haven’t scored many ,
Rome , day , built .

Great Post, we haven't scoed many because we have been without our main focol point up front. Keeping clean sheets gives players confidence to push forwards.

Gil already looks a better player than Lamela. He oozes class.

I'm unconvinced about the rest though.

Oh Nick your picking on me again, am off to cry in the corner! lol!

Happy clapper love it! hahahaha!

Oh Nick your picking on me again, am off to cry in the corner! lol!

Happy clapper love it! hahahaha!

I just don't subscribe to blinkered loyalty and positivity when the indicators don't necessarily encourage positivity.
I would say Gil is a project.
Romero might have some PL adjustments to make so is unknown currently, we thought Ndombele would adjust.
Royal as above, we don't know yet so being positive is just hopeful.
We can base projected positivity on previous signings recently which have been a little underwhelming.