Fifty Years An Imp | Page 4 | Vital Football

Fifty Years An Imp

It happened just outside the box at the then South Park end. The 'CRACK' when the challenge went in was loud enough for everyone there to know that a bone had been broken. I can still vividly recall the sight and sound of that event; I think all who were there felt it.

I always thought I had heard the crack, but wondered if over the years it was just my memory enhancing the recall.

I cannot remember my first game but it would have been some time in the mid to late 50's. Bill Anderson was the coach and Roy Chapman was one of our main strikers at the time. I do recall in the early 60's the team ended up bottom of Division 4 a few times and were required to apply for re-election into the football league. So a real long suffering Imp and wouldn't have it any other way.
Bill Anderson was the manager in the fifties. Alf Young was the coach.

The first game I can name as being there was at home to Workington 21st February 1976. We won 4-1 and I remember being disappointed at half-time because Workington had scored first and we went in only 2-1 up against the 2nd from bottom team - https://staceywest.net/2018/06/03/classic-match-imps-4-1-workington/

We watched from the wooden seating in the St Andrew's Stand. Phil Neale became my favourite player scoring a couple of goals(a flowing move and shot from outside the box for the first) and having a name similar to mine.

I thought I had been to a game before that because I remember climbing over the wall of the bank and walking across the pitch to go home more than once (one of those was the Doncaster game with the guard of honour) but maybe it was later in March.

Didn't we score our second a minute or two before half time, then two more soon after the restart?

I've only got a brief report:

Bud Houghton scored after 3 minutes and Stockport played with ten men from 20 minutes onwards.

It was 1-0 at half time then Alan Morton made it 2-0 on 58 minutes.

Don't know the timings for the rest of the goals - Roger Holmes, Alf Jones with a free kick, Ken Fencott and Morton again.

I remember the forward line of Frank Smallman, Jimmy Frettingham and the Gillespie brothers. No idea who my 1st game was against but it would have been the 1st home game of the season - either 1894/95 or 1895/96. My Dad had a season ticket and when he went to renew his the seat next to him was available and he thought I was old enough to go and he got it for me. Row I seats 30 & 31 in the old wooden John O'Gaunts Ground.
Outstanding loyalty over so many years.

Outstanding loyalty over so many years.
How do you know who played for us all those years ago - I think you must have been a supporter for longer than you are letting on. 😀 Are you able to get down soon and occupy that seat on U4 Row H ?

So 1953 so far the earliest, I bet someone out there is reading this and can beat this, don't be shy, could someone on here actually have witnessed our beloved imps playing in the late 1940"s?

My Father in law started watching the Imps in 1948 and still recounts the players from that era but has big trouble naming Tuesday nights team🤣 He still has a ST but hasn’t attended a game for nearly 2 years but after his latest operations on his back and his eyes he hopes to be back for a few games this season.

I've only got a brief report:

Bud Houghton scored after 3 minutes and Stockport played with ten men from 20 minutes onwards.

It was 1-0 at half time then Alan Morton made it 2-0 on 58 minutes.

Don't know the timings for the rest of the goals - Roger Holmes, Alf Jones with a free kick, Ken Fencott and Morton again.

Thanks, I must have been thinking of some other match.

If this is turning into an old gits competition, I started in Joe McClennan‘s last season as manager to be replaced by Bill Anderson. The West Bank was cinder and a white paling fence kept you off the pitch. Memories ?
Jock Dodds scoring a hat trick against West Ham and three different goalkeepers and Andy Graver’s six against Crewe Alexandra.

So 1953 so far the earliest, I bet someone out there is reading this and can beat this, don't be shy, could someone on here actually have witnessed our beloved imps playing in the late 1940"s?

I don't remember anything about the football, but I remember sitting on clean, new concrete on the Sincil Bank side. It may be a false memory, but I think before the concrete there was a cinder bank terracing. Dad had virtually every season ticket for 40 years after the war, and went to every reserve match. We lived in Scorer St and moved to Hartsholme in August 1951, so it may have been around that time.

How do you know who played for us all those years ago - I think you must have been a supporter for longer than you are letting on. 😀 Are you able to get down soon and occupy that seat on U4 Row H ?
Nice one Brian !! but if we had to drive 550 miles for a home game we would pick and choose.

Last edited:
Trying to get to a game next month, also fancy Sheff Wednesday away. Hope to catch up with you soon.

I remember sitting on clean, new concrete on the Sincil Bank side. It may be a false memory, but I think before the concrete there was a cinder bank terracing.

It was concreted in the 1952/53 season according to the Nannestads' Official History.

My dad used to tell me about when it was cinder banking, and his memories of it may have dated back to the early 1930s. I only wish now I'd asked him more about those days, but when you're young you don't think about such things.

Yes. Stockport played much of the game with ten men after losing a player to injury (no substitutes in them days!)

I was stood by the wall in the South Park End where it joined the West Bank terrace. I remember the Stockport 'keeper's shorts were so muddy that it looked like he had shat himself! I actually felt quite sorry for him when the sixth one went in. It was the biggest Imps win I had seen so far, but that all changed when Luton Town came to the Bank a few years later!