FFP News & updates | Page 14 | Vital Football

FFP News & updates

Just found this:-

Here's a potted history of how the "big" clubs got to that position. Liverpool & Everton had the financial backing of members of the Moores family who owned Littlewoods in the 1960's & 1970's. Everton were known as the Mersey Millionaires.
8:38 AM - 15 May 2019

PrestwichBlue‏@PrestwichBlueMay 15
Arsenal (according to Tony Adams in an interview) had a huge cash injection from Danny Fiszman. He was told Fiszman had put in £50m when top players were moving for £3m so that's probably the equivalent of around £1bn in today's transfer market.
  1. PrestwichBlue‏@PrestwichBlueMay 15
    Spurs were the first club to circumvent strict FA rules around financial management of clubs. They set up a holding company that "owned" the football club. This went unchallenged & allowed them to float on the stock market to raise money that was used to buy players.
    Manchester United go back a bit further but they were saved from imminent bankruptcy by James Gibson in 1931 & he bankrolled them until the 1950's when he died.
  2. PrestwichBlue‏@PrestwichBlueMay 15
    But the key moment came in 1981 when those 5 clubs threatened a breakaway unless the arrangement was ended whereby ticket money (then pretty much the sole source of revenue) was shared with the visiting club. They wanted it all kept by the home club & this had a huge impact.
  3. PrestwichBlue‏@PrestwichBlueMay 15
    Until then it was rare for one club, let alone a group, to dominate the league. Liverpool did it in the 1970's but they had the Moores money behind them as I've said. Check which teams have won the league since 1982. There's 5 of them outside that "Big 5".
  4. PrestwichBlue‏@PrestwichBlueMay 15
    Leeds & Leicester, plus Blackburn, Chelsea & City who all had huge investment, are the only names other than those five "big" clubs. And even Leicester had significant investment, albeit not on the scale of City & Chelsea.
    In 1992 those "big 5" clubs were the prime movers behind setting up the Premier League, following a TV deal with ITV where most of the money went to them. This obviously started the big money era in football but there was more to come.
    Arsenal, Liverpool & United were members of the G-14, the group of clubs who changed the old European Cup into the CL, a competition whereby a team who finished 4th, 25 or more points behind the actual champions, could earn huge money from their participation in the CL.
  5. PrestwichBlue‏@PrestwichBlueMay 15
    This, plus Abramovich's investment in Chelsea, created the so-called 'Top 4', a self-serving cartel who dominated English football for years. One would mess up occasionally, letting an outsider in, but that was both rare & temporary until City came long.
  6. PrestwichBlue‏@PrestwichBlueMay 15
    4 of those 5 clubs who ended the crucial ticket money sharing agreement are still part of that 'Top 6' group, nearly 40 years after it ended. Only Everton have missed out. That's not "organic"; I'd say it was more "genetically modified".
  7. PrestwichBlue‏@PrestwichBlueMay 15
    And, coincidentally, as soon as City came along, the FFP drawbridge was quickly hoisted. A mechanism supposedly designed to regulate debt that's being used against a club that doesn't have a penny of debt. Coincidence or what?
  8. Here endeth the lesson.

Excellent stuff. Thanks for posting. Great to have this as a resource to use when refuting the 'City bought the title' nonsense.

The whole FIFA and UEFA set up is dirty. Whatever happened to the FBI's massive corruption investigation? Seems like it was years ago. I remember a few dodgy delegates were jailed for taking bribes for World Cup venue votes and then it all suddenly went quiet.
:hmmm:

The whole FIFA and UEFA set up is dirty. Whatever happened to the FBI's massive corruption investigation? Seems like it was years ago. I remember a few dodgy delegates were jailed for taking bribes for World Cup venue votes and then it all suddenly went quiet.
:hmmm:

Yes, massive flurry of activity, dawn raids, people being walked to cars under blankets........and then a deafening silence.

As for Ceferin, as BE points out, you cannot ‘break silence’ on a subject which is supposed to be private and confidential without poisoning the well. He is effectively saying eventual decision to find City guilty (that was always their answer, they just needed to work out how to phrase the question) was his decision. He is setting himself up as the guy who “cleaned up soccer” probably wants to get it on his cv for when he tries for the FIFA presidency.

This is exactly what City are on about when they mentioned lack of due process.

Yes, massive flurry of activity, dawn raids, people being walked to cars under blankets........and then a deafening silence.

As for Ceferin, as BE points out, you cannot ‘break silence’ on a subject which is supposed to be private and confidential without poisoning the well. He is effectively saying eventual decision to find City guilty (that was always their answer, they just needed to work out how to phrase the question) was his decision. He is setting himself up as the guy who “cleaned up soccer” probably wants to get it on his cv for when he tries for the FIFA presidency.

This is exactly what City are on about when they mentioned lack of due process.
Remember Splatter. They are all made from the same mould.

Now the CL final is over, I am heading to the bunker to await inbound from UEFA. Any day now I expect....

They have to wait a few weeks until the media have finished celebrating The Dippers 6th Champions League Cup win.
Well, they'll have a long wait then. I don't think the media will ever stop celebrating it.
Don't forget we're into the silly season too. Not a lot of news to report so they will cling on to the dipper fairytale like a terrier to a rabbit's bum.

Well, they'll have a long wait then. I don't think the media will ever stop celebrating it.
Don't forget we're into the silly season too. Not a lot of news to report so they will cling on to the dipper fairytale like a terrier to a rabbit's bum.

Team of the Year if the vote goes public

I am just waiting for the inevitable weighing up by the pundits of the CL win Vs First domestic treble, back-to-back titles and 198 points over two consecutive seasons.

I know exactly what they will say & who they will favour.

I am just waiting for the inevitable weighing up by the pundits of the CL win Vs First domestic treble, back-to-back titles and 198 points over two consecutive seasons.

I know exactly what they will say & who they will favour.

and you don't have to be a mind reader to guess the right answer.