Few thoughts... | Vital Football

Few thoughts...

Ollyrules

Vital Squad Member
...on the past season and squad heading into this next one. This year was a little disappointing for me, the away form has been ok but the home form was below par. Would have liked to seen a little more progression as the season went on, but it's far from the disaster some seem to think it was - it was always going to be tough to get playoffs with such a need to sell players and bring in cheaper talent. I remain unconvinced by Farke, but he deserves to continue to build his side and take the team forward. He has definitely done well with our younger players, and seems willing to throw them in if they're ready. If you look at the stats, the issue this year was finishing our chances - anyone with two eyes could tell you that! The priority in the summer I'm sure will be getting some new guys in up front.

As for the next season, I think the aim has to be competing for the playoffs, with a more improved goals output. As for the squad...

Goalkeepers - Will not get Gunn back, he'll be playing PL. I think Matthews will be given a shot in pre-season alongside another loan player similar to Angus from this year. Expecting McGovern to be sold as he'll want to play to keep his Northern Ireland place. Young Oxborough is not quite ready yet, but in a year or two he could compete - a loan to League 2 would do him the world of good.

Right backs - I personally would sell Pinto, don't think he's good enough. But I imagine he will stay and we will bring in another RB to compete with him. Can't see us getting Reed back from Saints

Centre Backs - We're well stocked here actually, albeit I could see Klose leaving if someone comes in with a good offer. Hanley, Zimmermann are good, and I think Raggett/Franke will be given a go pre-season and be fine too. Maybe Leistner on a free to come in if Klose leaves.

Left backs - Jamal will keep his starting slot, and rightly so. Imagine we'll keep Husband around as backup, which is fine. I think Stiepermann will be kept as a utility squad player too.

Defensive Midfield - Great news that Tettey signed a new deal, him and Godfrey splitting time in the DM role next year will be good, and then hopefully Godfrey does well enough to take over full time in a year or so. Expecting Thompson to be loaned out, because he won't play enough here and needs to build his fitness up.

Centre Midfield - Trybull and Vrancic have both been good signings, Vrancic in particular really has come on as the season progressed. McLean has looked good when I have watched Aberdeen, so expect him to fit in well. I can't see Leitner coming back, and don't think we need him. Also obviously expecting Maddison to be sold. I think Cantwell could see some games from the bench next year too.

Wings - Murphy has had a decent year, he will obviously play. Hernandez has looked pacey and decent too when I have seen him. Wildschut will rightly be sold (he's abysmal), and if we can find someone to take Jarvis I'm sure he will go too. Will need to sign one or two to play wide, I expect a loan here to backup Murphy, and Watkins will continue to backup Hernandez (unless anyone takes him off us, which is unlikely)

Strikers - Oliviera has to be sold. Srbeny has looked pretty meh, I expect him to be a backup next season. Think we need two strikers, one with real pace and one big lump, so we have three who can play. I really do not rate Morris, and would like to see him moved on permanently to a league one club.

I expect Paul Jones, Russ Martin, and Naismith all to be sold, or loaned out again if we can't find anyone to buy them. Obviously the priority has to be signing some strikers, ideally two for me, and then a winger and a right back too. Then it will be simply replacing players if they are sold (like Pinto, Klose, McGovern, Murphy). I don't think we'll be competing for automatic promotion, but I also don't think we'll be in a relegation battle either. I see us around the 5th-10th area next year, which would be good progress for me.

What do you guys think?

Very good report Olly.
I cannot really argue with any of that .... except....

This season has been more than disappointing.
It has been a second season with parachute payments wasted and next season the funding is low and best players will be gone.

I do not expect great signings. I do not expect good signings.
What we do need is a good manager and we do not have one.
I have seen all the teams this season at least once and do not accept that Preston, Millwall, Sheffield United, Ipswich, Brentford and Leeds have better players and they all finished above us.
That can only mean the players were not motivated enough, played in correct positions, coached well or substituted well at correct times.
The season was 9 months long and there was absolutely no progression in performances or tactics.
We may well sign 2 more average strikers but only one plays at a time and its the system at fault and not the striker who suffers more and more loss in confidence as the goals dry up due to the slow boring sideways approach.
DF has to go and it may not be too late to progress with a good manager. Leave it longer and we are mid table forever.

Good, write up Olly. I don't mean to go over what you have said but this is my view:

GK:
Gunn would like to come back but I think City will either see him as a back up (Cup GK) or he'll be loaned out to a lower league club in the premiership or top club in Scotland....Celtic hehe (maybe Gerrard will fancy him for Rangers). I think it is time for us to go with one of our own GK who is contracted with us.

Jones contract is up so will go.

McGovern seems happy being in Norwich but as you said he'll want to be playing 1st team football for his international career. I hope DF doesn't see him as our number 1 with Matthews as 2 next season.

Matthews, as you say, will be given a go in preseason (like Rudd did) and hopefully be given the shirt.

Oxborough looks a good prospect but I think either a loan or kept as a number 3.

My verdict we need another GK who can act as a number 2 or push Matthews for number 1. This might be a veteran GK from Germany...just saying. Probably a free transfer.

Defender Right:

I agree with you. In my eyes Pinto isn't a great defender and has injury issues. He seems to have lacked passion/motivation the last few times I saw him. He has just become a father so moving could be a big thing at this time but I think Reed playing ahead of him says a lot and he could be gone.

Martin not what we need and if we can he has to be sold. I think it might be another loan and then the contract will just run out and he will go on a free.

My verdict we need two new defenders who can play on the right I don't think this is where Godfrey should play but could always slot in if really needed but still, this needs sorting.

Defender Left:

Lewis has been very good but is still learning as he goes and I think having a Left back to push him would only help. Husband has been poor. Steipermann started well at Left Back but started to get caught out time and time again. I think getting in a veteran left back would be good. Steipermann as someone who can slot in would be okay. Husband as a backup is good but it means we might have to rely on him which I don't like. Maybe harsh but I'd look to sell Husband.

My verdict we need another left back. Sell Husband.

Central defender:

I agree again that we are well stocked in this department. Zimmermann - Hanley - Raggett - Klose is a decent group for this league but I also think Klose could be sold and maybe Leistner will be the player to come in on a free. I also think Raggett will be moving on too. Was nice to see him come on in last minutes on Sunday but I don't know if DF rates him much. Franke I am still unsure of he looked pants when he played and in recent pics looks a bit unfit but I am sure DF will get him back and try him out in the preseason.

My verdict. No need to improve unless a Raggett - Klose leave and then we will need someone.

0 - unless player leaves.

Midfield Central:

Godfrey - Tettey - Trybull - Cantwell - Thompson looks okay plus Vrancic - Stiepermann and McLean can slot in too. Phillips has been moved from u23 squad to the main one on the NCFC website so he might be involved too. I think you could be right that Thompson might be moved on but he will get time in preseason to prove his worth. I think that the club will try to bring Leitner back. Also, can all the links to central midfielders be just crap or is there something in the rumours does DF want another central midfielder? If so why? You could look at it as we are losing Leitner - Reed - Tettey not going to play as much but we will have Godfrey - Thompson and Cantwell back.

My verdict I don't see a need to improve as those three above should be like three new signings but I have a feeling DF will look to bring in another central midfielder maybe one of these veterans he wants to come in and help.

Left wing:

Murphy has been getting linked with a summer move and I could see it happening but maybe he will look at how it has gone for his brother and stay another season. The guy has talent but he needs to show it a lot more. Jarvis has to be sold, hasn't he? DF has said many times that he is an important player and a great guy to have about. Jarvis seems to be more interested in radio commentary than football. I would look to sell.

My verdict we need a new left winger maybe one who can play on both sides.

Right Wing:

Again we are short in this department. Hernandez and that is about it. Watkins can play there but he will be sold. Murphy can too but is mainly a left winger. Wildschut is a right-footed player but plays more on the left but for me, he will be sold too. he looks a good player and has done it up front but since coming here he has just melted into a pile of crap. He has shown he can worry defences but I think we will cut our losses.

My verdict - same as above.

Attacking midfielders:

Well, it seems we will be going with 4-2-3-1 so need these players. Wes going - Maddison going - Leitner going - Naismith has to go means we will be very short. Vrancic can play there - Cantwell can too but I want players who are naturally attacking midfielders. Leitner might come back. but at the moment with all the above gone, we are left with McLean who is completely untried in this league but still so have others. I think we will need another to come in too. We have Mourgos in the u23 squad who has been doing well and DF has watched a few times but will he be called up?

My verdict I think we will see a new player come in for this position may be from Germany. It is a must especially if this is the formation and we continue with the one up top. We will need that creative attacking player and one who can chip in with goals.

1 maybe 2.

Forwards:

Well, this is the position that needs sorting asap. Again I think Oli will leave. He gave a long goodbye after Sheff W and hasn't looked happy since DF came in. The guy also has no competition and I don't think can work the one up top which is the same with Srbeny. We have two players who need a number 10 to work off them but we don't play that system ---- the system has been a massive issue. I think Morris will most likely be given game time in preseason but either League 1 or maybe Shrewsbury will come in with an offer which we will accept. The pink un guys always say that DF hasn't been impressed with his goal ratio out on loan. Watkins apparently can play up front but as I mentioned earlier he will go. So we will be left with just Srbeny. Abraham in u23 should be given a go too.

My verdict we need two forwards - one who can run fast and scare defences especially when teams are tired and a bigger player like a Holt.

So possibly 9 new players - I think 3 will be loan and 4 will be from Germany.

DF and SW have to remember the new law of having homegrown players in the team sheet - I think it might be 8 next season.

Good stuff, Olly and Bears, can't argue with much of that.
I have it on good authority that the club are working really hard to get Leitner back, which could help with the number 10 situation. Not sure if another loan but he's got a long contract at Augsburg, so could be.
Watkins will go, there's too much speculation that Bristol City will come back for him and he’s been poor from day one.
Maddison is likely to go and if he does, that will provide the finance for all this. As you mention, Klose has transfer value but only a year left on contract, so ripe for being sold.
I except Oliveira to go too and then we need two strikers, which will be the hardest position to fill, obviously.

Excellent round up chaps . I take a more simlpler view . Get rid of losers Martin , Sicknote Jarvis and Naishit . Tell the others who are on high wages how much they have let us down and reduce their wages to the level we are now at .Take a look a players who have underperformed or who are plain crap and kick them out Ask all the remaining squad if they are prepared to sweat blood for 100% of every game . Anyone who says no can go and replace them with keen hungry players from L1 and L2

Cheers guys. I watched McLean against Rangers and he was bloody good. I think it was his last home game - I might be wrong. He won the penalty, scored it, hit the bar, created a few chances and made Martin's life hell. Looking forward to seeing him. Oh and he celebrated like Maddison - sliding on his knees.

I agree with the detailed analysis from Olly and Bears but every pre season we speak in detail about the squad, players leaving and players coming in only to leave out the most important item.
The owners, the manager and the passion / ability to provide the togetherness to create a winning environment and for the fans to actually have something to shout about.

Even if we do manage to sell the expensive dead wood, offload the expensive players and bring in decent replacements, nothing will change until the manager changes the tactics and the owners sell up to a richer and more passionate person.
That is just the way it is and has been since Smiffs took over.

Agreed .... we will get absolutely nowhere until we have leadership, fight , drive , passion ,and determination coming from the top . The Smiffs have none of those qualities

Next season we could have a good group of youngsters/academy guys involved and now is the time if DF decides too.

Matthews - Lewis - Cantwell - Idah - Murphy - Morris - Godfrey - Raggett.

Idah looks the part and apparently, DF had him training with the 1st team towards the end of the season and the Pink Un seem to think DF will give him a go in the preseason.

Celtic also wanted him before we got him and he has said that he now wants to start playing first-team football. Knowing us we will loan him for the season and end up losing him. I hope not as he looks very good.

I do think that in Farke, system & tactics aside, we have a forward thinking coach who is more than prepared to play youngsters if they’re good enough. The way he has brought Lewis and Maddison on this year shouldn’t be underestimated. If Rab was in charge, he’d probably have sent both on season long loans to the SPL!

Great post Olly. I agree with everything you've said. I think we will see progress next year however it is not blind faith - the jury is out and if after 10-15 games we are not seeing such progress then I think opinions will soon change very fast.

Based on what I have watched all season , and with Madders taken out of the team , I fear the the much heralded ‘progress’ we are all looking forwards to may mean only losing 4-1 at Sheff Weds instead of the now almost traditional 5-1 wacking !

What is progress ?
Finishing in top half or getting ahead of the Binners.

If the same tactics are applied to a weaker squad it will be even worse than this season and it has been bad. Very bad.

Progress is getting back into the Prem , and I have not heard a single word from our Owners , Board or Manager on how we are going to do it . All I have heard is talk of them selling the players who may be able to take us there

I would have thought that the expulsion list would have been issued by now - some clubs have done it but maybe not being released until after the finals have been completed

I hope they go as soon as possible . We need investment , and here is why .....

This season all 3 clubs who went up last season have avoided relegation . Now , this means that under new rules the 3 now due to come down will receive THREE years parachute payments instead of the 2 years as it stood . WBA , Stoke and Swansea have all been in the Prem for more than just one season so they will all receive 3 years parachute payments . The payments are now higher , with each club receiving £40m in year one , £35m in year two and £15m in year 3 .

It’s about time that fans realise what we will now face with our pathetic piddly transfer fund with mega rich WBA, Stoke and Swansea in this League . The ONLY away we will be able to compete to get back to the Prem is with investment , fight , drive, passion and an utter determination to succeed. The Smiths have not even got one of those essential attributes

Also mentioned that Morris and Godfrey have been coming back and training with the first team here at least once a month during their loan spells - a clear sign Farke is going to have them in and around the first team squad next season

I remember when Carlton Morris was touted as the next Grant Holt . I wish he would hurry up and fulfill that roll for us !